Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyes12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know which type of petitions/appeals go through after you have been kicked out of a program? Does depression work? What excuses has anyone used that has worked before? My school is willing to let me give them information about myself to let me back into the program. What information should I give them?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Does anyone know which type of petitions/appeals go through after you have been kicked out of a program? Does depression work? What excuses has anyone used that has worked before? My school is willing to let me give them information about myself to let me back into the program. What information should I give them?
Thanks.

Excuses? Why not just be honest as to why you believe you deserve a second chance....the reasoning as to why your grades suffered (which I'm guessing is the reason your being kicked out??)....and what your willing to do or the steps that you have already taken, to make sure you won't be making the same mistakes again.

You do have to realize that a lot of the members of the petitions/appeals committee's have heard it all.....to make up an excuse, is just your one way ticket out of that school for good.

I wish you the best of luck.

I'm sorry that you have been kicked out of the program.. that is a tough spot to be in.

I don't have any experience with this, but I would have a plan. And then present that plan to the panel.

Talk to some of the older professors that you are comfortable with and ask them what you should do. Say that giving up is not an option for you. They will empathize with you and they also have experience with many students that have been in your position before. They know what has worked, what hasn't worked.. what students did to turn things around for them, etc. DO THIS before coming before the panel. Essential. A must. You have to be guided they are the ones that can really do that for you. Other students that have failed and made it back in will only tell you what happened to them and what worked for them (ok, great).. but everyone's situation is different.

Here are a few things I would discuss with the professors.. see if you are allowed to present to the panel that you are willing to follow some extra rules to ensure that you will make it the second time around.
1) Exhaust tutoring resources for each class.
2) Meet with professors once every 2 weeks to discuss topics and your understanding of them.
3) Having an academic adviser to meet with every month to discuss your study schedule, how things are going in class, and how to improve your performance. More general than meeting with your professors.

I'm speaking out of inexperience but this is personally how I would approach the issue if it were to happen to me. I'm sorry, good luck, and let us know how things go down for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Thanks.

Not worth it. They will see through your lie and then you will really be up a creek. Just come clean and say you understand now how to study better, utilize tutors, professor consults etc.

The truth shall set you free...

Hi,
Thanks.

ARE YOU JOKING?!?! :laugh:

I'd say tell the truth b/c if you have a legit reason hopefully have mercy....

however, based on the fact that you are EVEN ASKING what excuse you should give really makes no sense to me and I'd say start looking elsewhere for a profession. Call me a troll but I expect to see "My patient went blind b/c of something I did, what excuse should I give them for why it happend" 10 years down the road.

Wow, man...wow.

does anyone know how to delete this message

ARE YOU JOKING?!?! :laugh:

I'd say tell the truth b/c if you have a legit reason hopefully have mercy....

however, based on the fact that you are EVEN ASKING what excuse you should give really makes no sense to me and I'd say start looking elsewhere for a profession. Call me a troll but I expect to see "My patient went blind b/c of something I did, what excuse should I give them for why it happend" 10 years down the road.

Wow, man...wow.

if this were facebook i would "like" this post.. :laugh:

Hi,
Thanks.

I've seen from your other posts that you were in a pharmacy program and that you say you had depression. Sorry, your post makes it seem like you wanted to know if that would be a good excuse.

In my opinion, try to work it out with that school. If it doesn't work then another direction for a career is probably going to be your easiest choice. IF you really try to switch to optometry you're going to have some SERIOUS 'splainin to do and you will probably not be admitted to most optom school.