helpful classes for mcat/med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a psyc major and am planning my classes for next semester. i was wondering if anyone had a certain class that they thought was helpful in preparing for the mcat. in addition to the normal prereqs i'm taking biochem, microbio, and possibly genetics. any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think it's too necessary to take extra classes. I'm a math major so I've had only 1 biology class in my whole life; yet I managed to pull a 12 on the bio section. Reading for understanding is the main key. Also doing lots of practice helps. Though in all honesty I think more classes might help, though very minimally. Your time can be better spent getting a firm grasp of the basics.

I'm a Bio major and thought the classes that helped me the most were Genetics and Cell Biology. After having things you learn in freshman bio repeated in those, it sticks in your head and makes the mcat easier.

As far as for med school, well I'm not in there so I can't say, but I'm planning to take Biochem to help out. I know of people taking Histology and Anatomy as well, but I can't fit those in. Plus I want a semi-relaxing last semester of school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had taken Biochemistry before the MCAT. I have also heard that it is good to take it before medical school. Be sure to take fun classes that interest you to, since you will be almost completely immersed in science for the next couple of years! Oh! Ethics may be interesting and valuable as well.

Sorry my last post was incomplete cause I only addressed the MCAT. As far as med school, I'm not a med student so I'm also looking for advice on that issue. I'm thinking I'll grab an anatomy atlas, a physiology text, and a biochem text; and sort of skim through the pictures, foot notes, and summaries. I'm yet to ask any expert for advice on this idea. My guess is that they'll tell me to forget it and hit the nearest night club. Any experts out there? What do you guys think?