Helpful reference books during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found this book useful during med school? It's my birthday coming up and several family members have insisted they buy me books that are helpful for school.

One book I have been looking at is The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, 17th Edition.

I also have been looking at Gray's Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice.

I'm also looking for some anatomy flashcards. Has anyone tried the Gray's anatomy cards?

Thanks in advance for any help you might have on this, including other recommendations.

Members don't see this ad.

I have Gray's Anatomy- the book. It is not very readable for most people and the illustrations are mediocre.

I would recommend the following if you are set on getting reference books:

Rohen Atlas for Anatomy
Moses' Atlas
Big Moore for Anatomy (there is also a mini-moore edition that is much smaller and more portable)
Guyton and Hall for Physio (Berne and Levy is not nearly as readable in my opinion)
Marks' Biochemistry is a pretty good read
Wheater's Histology and Ross' Histology are both excellent
Grant's Dissector is the standard--but check what edition your school is going to use

As far as flashcards go, there are several varieties including Gray's, Netter's, BRS. I liked the BRS but they are much more clinical in nature than the others. You should go to your medical school bookstore and take a look and see what you like.

I believe the Merck Guide is available online- try a google search.

Stedman's medical dictionary is handy. I like the "concise" version because it's not so huge. Somehow we ended up with two of them at our place: one for upstairs, one for downstairs. It's especially nice to have at the beginning when you may be hearing a lot of terms that you're not familiar with.