Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what are the next steps once you matched?

Same as when you matched for IM. Sit around and wait for the paperwork to show up.

If you want an unlimited license in that state, might as well start getting your application started now. Otherwise, relax.

Members don't see this ad.

GutOnc,

Is there anything in particular you would recommend doing in the year before fellowship that you feel would make us better prepared for fellowship? I have heard mixed messages on studying heme/onc in your last year of residency. I know some people just say worry about learning medicine and passing your boards rather than focus delving deep into heme/onc. A minority of others actually studied heme/onc more intensely before entering their fellowship.

Also, if you have any advise on how to hit the ground running for those of us going into academia. Meaning, how do we give our self the best shot at starting a successful academic career?

Thanks in advance for you advise on these somewhat vague questions. Any other fellows can also answer as well if they wish.

GutOnc,

Is there anything in particular you would recommend doing in the year before fellowship that you feel would make us better prepared for fellowship? I have heard mixed messages on studying heme/onc in your last year of residency. I know some people just say worry about learning medicine and passing your boards rather than focus delving deep into heme/onc. A minority of others actually studied heme/onc more intensely before entering their fellowship.

Also, if you have any advise on how to hit the ground running for those of us going into academia. Meaning, how do we give our self the best shot at starting a successful academic career?

Thanks in advance for you advise on these somewhat vague questions. Any other fellows can also answer as well if they wish.

Try to learn medicine as much as possible, because you will need it alot in Hem/Onc during fellowship or later. You have all life to learn Hem/Onc and only one yr to learn other specialities of medicine. my $0.02