Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

Started by nsclc04
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, I don't know anything about either of those programs.


i thought you would since you had advised somebody a while ago to move "gtown" down their rol. anyway, thanks for responding. anybody else in a position to share impressions uconn vs georgetown? 😕
 
I am an immunologist, and not familiar either program but would think you may get an opportunity to do some awesome basic/translational tumor immunology at NIH if you were to go Goergetown, and also get to do some great basic tumor immunology at Yale if you were to go to Uconn (if it is hartford..). think georgetown fellows rotate through NIH..

i thought you would since you had advised somebody a while ago to move "gtown" down their rol. anyway, thanks for responding. anybody else in a position to share impressions uconn vs georgetown? 😕
 
I am an immunologist, and not familiar either program but would think you may get an opportunity to do some awesome basic/translational tumor immunology at NIH if you were to go Goergetown, and also get to do some great basic tumor immunology at Yale if you were to go to Uconn (if it is hartford..). think georgetown fellows rotate through NIH..

thanks jsimny. the possibility exists, as you point out, more for georgetown/NCI. Uconn is across the state of CT from yale, and I dont think they go across that often. Uconn has people who did some great tumor immunology, and georgetown essentially has two doing tumor immunology. yale has an awesome immunology department, but, as far as I know, has not done much tumor immunology in the past many years.

good luck to you,
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am new to this network. ROL deadline is coming, but I am still having difficulty to make decision. I would appreicate any thoughts for below four programs. Thanks.

1. UCLA
2. NIH/NCI
3. Washington Univ
4. Cleveland Clinic
 
Hello All,

New member with a strong interest in GI oncology vs. malignant heme (would be happy doing either depending on program strength but prefer GI onc, particularly Pancreatic). Have research background and would like to pursue academic career with translational research focus. Would appreciate input on rank order:

1. MDACC
2. MSK
3. Hutch
4. Columbia
5. U of Florida Gainesville
6. U of Wisconsin-Madison
7. Pittsburgh
8. Jefferson
9. Wake Forrest
10. U of Rochester

Good Luck to All!
 
thanks jsimny. the possibility exists, as you point out, more for georgetown/NCI. Uconn is across the state of CT from yale, and I dont think they go across that often. Uconn has people who did some great tumor immunology, and georgetown essentially has two doing tumor immunology. yale has an awesome immunology department, but, as far as I know, has not done much tumor immunology in the past many years.

good luck to you,

since not too many people on this forum seem to have input on uconn vs georgetown, let me re phrase : if i am interested in a research career , is there any difference in a NCI designated CCC versus one that isnt? thanks
 
Hello All,

New member with a strong interest in GI oncology vs. malignant heme (would be happy doing either depending on program strength but prefer GI onc, particularly Pancreatic). Have research background and would like to pursue academic career with translational research focus. Would appreciate input on rank order:

1. MDACC
2. MSK
3. Hutch
4. Columbia
5. U of Florida Gainesville
6. U of Wisconsin-Madison
7. Pittsburgh
8. Jefferson
9. Wake Forrest
10. U of Rochester

Good Luck to All!

if i had the luxury to choose from your list, i'd go to MDACC and work with Robert Wolff. if your interests change to malignant heme, MDACC would also be an awesome place to be. i'd keep your list about the same, and consider switching Hutch/MSK since Hutch has the stronger translational research focus. good luck.
 
Last edited:
OK, know I'm cutting it close with list due tomorrow - any last minute thoughts on Hopkins vs Penn? Interested in solid > heme.
 
ROLD deadline is tomorrow. Any thoughts appreciated on three programs. I am interested in academic carreer, possible tumor immunology or cancer genetics. Thanks. Good luck to all!!!

UCLA vs NIH vs Wash U
 
Hi Guys,
Any last minute thoughts on VCU. I am interested in BMT and translational research
Regards,
Oncoguy
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I keep checking NRMP ...it feels like I am missing something although it does say Match status " certified ROL". What will it look like after 9 PM today?
 
gutonc,
Thank you very much for your reply. What do you mean more research, it means more research in solid tumors or any eg BMT and Heme
 
Done with it.... "certified ROL" in green...
Now I am not going to think about it for the next 2 weeks!!!
 
Mine too says certified ROL in green. I will not think about it ( who am I kiddin!)

Oncoguy , yours should say so too, otherwise I am afraid you will not be entered into the match because you did not certify your list prior to the deadline!! I really really hope that is not the case ...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to everyone in the match. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you at Mayo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad