Hematopathology even profitable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elburrito

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very basic question, acknowledging that even after years of practice, some fundamental business principles relevant to pathology operations still remain opaque to me.

It is said that is is often difficult for businesses to be both profitable and growing. In general, I consider hematopathology CPT codes to generally be above cost for common tests, and I generally assume actual collection is only 70% of CMS reimbursement rates for the relevant CPT codes

My question…Is hematopathology practice even profitable?

I have spoken to some seasoned industry lab providers making general statements that conventional CLIA lab operations for routine clinical testing are generally unfavorable, overall.

If a lab is growing but not profitable (perhaps just break even) due to payro, R&D, commercial sales and marketing, indirect costs, etc), and externally funded by private equity, would it still be reasonable for a lab owner / founder to still derive up to 5% of the company revenue for their salary?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this would depend primarily on whether you're doing testing in house or not - you'd have to set up flow, cytogenetics, molecular, etc. The cost-benefit would include equipment rental vs purchase, depcreciation, labor, etc. There aren't many small "hempath only" set ups around, because of that cost barrier. And also, hemepath isn't a relatively "high volume" field, such as derm, urology or gi. So keep that in mind as well. A correlate would be renal pathology, and there aren't many stand alone renal path places (Arkana path is one, Nephropath was another a while back).

Reactions: 1 user
I think this would depend primarily on whether you're doing testing in house or not - you'd have to set up flow, cytogenetics, molecular, etc. The cost-benefit would include equipment rental vs purchase, depcreciation, labor, etc. There aren't many small "hempath only" set ups around, because of that cost barrier. And also, hemepath isn't a relatively "high volume" field, such as derm, urology or gi. So keep that in mind as well. A correlate would be renal pathology, and there aren't many stand alone renal path places (Arkana path is one, Nephropath was another a while back).
Nephropath changed their name to Arkana.

Reactions: 1 user