Hematopathology fellowships 2018 / unexpected openings questi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander_Pushkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a canadian medical graduate finishing up my five-year AP only residency in Canada. I know it's late, but due to various circumstances, I'm looking for a fellowship in hemepath starting in July 2018. A job in a large community hospital with a significant volume in hemepath will be waiting for me afterwards in my home province.

I've looked on pathology outlines and, surprisingly, it seems that there are many unfilled positions /unexpected openings for 2018. Judging from some posts on the forum, it might be because of the current job market in hemepath in the US, could it be?

Since I don't know a lot about those programs and what's going on in the US, I'm looking to get some information on them. My major goals are to receive a sound clinical training and see a high volume of varied cases. Research opportunities are secondary since I'm not pursuing an academic career. Another minor concern of mine is that in my home province, pathologists don't interpret coagulation tests, red blood cell special studies and other clinical hematology lab analyses. Training and spending a lot of time in those areas would not be very beneficial for my practice in the future. I wonder how much time is spent in those areas. First and foremost, I'd like to avoid problematic programs...

Also, from what I see, it seems that Canadians don't need to write the pathology american board exam or the usmle for the majority of states.

Any advice and comments on the programs would be greatly appreciated. You can PM me if necessary. Thank you very much.

Openings for July 2018
California, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center-Hematopathology (2018, 2019),
California, University of California, San Diego-Hematopathology (2018)
Florida, University of South Florida-Hematopathology (2018, 2019),
Illinois, Northwestern University-Hematopathology (2018, 2020),
Kansas, University of Kansas-Hematopathology (2018),
Michigan, University of Michigan-Hematopathology (Immediate, 2018),
Michigan, Wayne State University-Hematopathology (2018),
New Mexico, University of New Mexico-Hematopathology (2018, 2019),
New York, Albany Medical College-Hematopathology (2018),
New York, SUNY Upstate Medical University-Hematopathology (2018),
Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State University-Hematopathology (2018),
Pennsylvania, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital-Hematopathology (2018),
Pennsylvania, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center-Hematopathology (2018, 2019),
Texas, Baylor Scott & White Hospital and Clinic-Hematopathology (2018, 2019),
Texas, University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio-Hematopathology (2018, 2019),
Texas, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center-Hematopathology (2018),

Members don't see this ad.

A job in a large community hospital with a significant volume in hemepath will be waiting for me afterwards in my home province.

I'm interested to know more about your situation to properly advise: How do you know said job will be waiting for you? Is it contingent that you get the heme fellowship? That's great if that hospital is ready to sign you up; but, are they willing to sit around with an unfilled position while you roll the dice?

Thank you for your support. I'm supposed to replace a pathologist who is retiring in one year. He can't postpone his retirement since it has been accepted by the hospital. My position to replace him has been accepted by the provincial government and the hospital. The initial condition to get the job was to complete an additional six months of hemepath training at my home institution after my residency. Compared to the programs with opened fellowship positions in the US, the hemepath department at my institution is very small and usually does not offer fellowship training. For many reasons and factors, I think it would be more beneficial for my career to complete a formal fellowship. The pathology department at the hospital hiring me has agreed to wait an additional six months if I find a fellowship program. If I can't get a fellowship position, I will complete the mandatory six months in my home program. Keep in mind that I'm in the french-speaking province, and it is different than the rest of Canada and the US. It would be unlikely that the hospital would hire someone else in the meantime because of the signed agreements and also because of the paucity of candidates speaking french with hemepath training ready to get hired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense. You basically don't have to do hemepath here to lock in your job, but prefer to for broader training. However it's a bit of a paradox because you want to receive broader training in a more formal academic setting; but, prefer to avoid research, coagulation tests, red blood cell special studies and other clinical hematology lab analyses??? They sort of come part & parcel with any reputable hemepath training program. Unless maybe you go to a program with more of a community type feel/curriculum which in that case I would think that's more likely at the smaller ones. Not sure though. After you apply and are on the interview trail, I would get a feel of what the programs expectations are and ask the fellowship director(s) how the curriculum/rotations are structured.

I've looked on pathology outlines and, surprisingly, it seems that there are many unfilled positions /unexpected openings for 2018. Judging from some posts on the forum, it might be because of the current job market in hemepath in the US, could it be?

The number of hemepath openings isn't a necessarily a reflection of the job market. More so because it [heme] along with surg and cyto has the most number of fellowships out there.

Also, from what I see, it seems that Canadians don't need to write the pathology american board exam or the usmle for the majority of states.

I'm not Canadian, but somewhat familiar with the education system. If you're just applying for fellowship here, there's no requirement to be board certified as you are just continuing your education. Also, if you went to med school in Canada, QE is equivalent to USMLE for residency/fellowship you and can come here to train as long as you have your J-1. Double check that though, as I'm not 100% certain.

Last edited:
I don't want to avoid completely coagulation tests, red blood cell special studies and other clinical hematology lab analyses, it's just that since by law I can't perform those tasks at all in my province like in the US, spending a LOT of time in those fields during a fellowship might not be the highest return for time invested for me personnally. However, I'm ready to acquire the expected skills in those fields knowing that they are mandatory in the hemepath training programs, but a little flexibilty to possibly spend more time looking at lymph nodes and bone marrows could be a bonus depending on the structure of the program. I'm ready to do research, but I just don't want that to take precedence over a sound clinical training, the more so since I'm not going into academia. As you said, I'll see after I apply and I'll ask the fellowship director(s) how the curriculum/rotations are structured.

Another reason for the 1 year fellowship outside the province is that it is mandatory to work in certain hospitals in my province, thereby allowing for more mobility/possibilities in the future if I ever wish to change. For a six months difference, I could regret it in a few years if I don't complete a formal fellowship.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited: