Heme/Onc Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjagermeister

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oddly I didn't see this had been started yet this year, so I thought I'd get it rolling w/some questions...

1. Due to the increasing competitiveness of the field, what is the verdict on the necessity of publications? I have a prospective study in progress, and two other studies nearing submission within the next several months but nothing published as of yet.
2. I am a D.O. and realize their still is some bias from programs (as evidenced by recent statistics)... are there any programs/areas of the country to avoid outright?
3. How far back should I go when entering 'experiences' into eras? I currently set the cut-off at medical school and later, other than to mention a couple awards from undergrad in the 'misc' section....

As always, your opinions are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Good job, docjagermeister! It is about time.
I don't know if there are right answers to your questions. It all depends what program director values. But there is no question that research matters in hem/onc.

BTW, what would be the right lengh of PS? The limit is 28,000 characters but it seems ridiculously long. My draft is about 5,000 characters and it is about 2 pages which still seems too much.

thanks for the reply blue...i realize research is increasingly imporant, but are publications a prerequisite for all programs or only the top-tiers? any insight on everyone's own institutions would be helpful.

and concerning the ps - i've been told by multiple sources that one page should be the maximum. i had a similar problem where my first draft was two and half pages, and i just had to cut out the mud....it seems with eras you are given far too much space to enter everything (experiences, awards, etc.), so i wouldnt worry too much about that...

lets keep this rolling - how many programs is everyone applying to? i'm staying strong at 30 myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah Im thinking 30 to 40 programs. I have 36 selected now. I just hope all my letters are in by dec1, so far 2/4 in.

Good Luck to ALL

what was the thought on how far to go as far as application rewars/honors, accomplishments, volunteer experience....far back as college or just medical school? do programs require the MSPE?

and do you guys think this will be more competitive than GI and cards this year?

Alright application submissions open up in less than a week...hopefully this thread continues to pick up!

Super - I only went back as med school other than a couple awards (e.g. honors undergrad). I just didnt think my dance marathon voluteer work was relevant at this level...

And any thoughts on my original questions? I have one more:
4. What programs provide the best BMT experience? This is my interest, but it seems that the programs vary quite a bit across the country...

Ok, good luck guys, keep it going!

...also, from what i've seen none of the programs have listed 'MSPE' in their list of requirements.

And any thoughts on my original questions?
Publications are more important for the more competitive academic programs, less so for community programs. That said, some is better than none no matter where you apply.

I have one more:
4. What programs provide the best BMT experience? This is my interest, but it seems that the programs vary quite a bit across the country...

It's your funeral. The happiest day of my entire education/training so far was my last day on service for BMT...better than graduation, my last day of internship, my last 24h call...way better. What a nightmare.

That said, if you want to go down that horrible road, a few places I can think of (based on my own interview experience and not an exhaustive list by any stretch) with strong BMT experience would be:
UW/Hutch
UMinn
Stanford
NYU

So how may letters is everyone sending. I have two from research (not my current institution) and one from program director of IM. Have a heme onc doc from my program as well but he is laggin' and has not even started?? quess i will just keep buggin him.

As far as going back Im doing nothing past med school except awards... I agree

So how may letters is everyone sending. I have two from research (not my current institution) and one from program director of IM. Have a heme onc doc from my program as well but he is laggin' and has not even started?? quess i will just keep buggin him.

As far as going back Im doing nothing past med school except awards... I agree

FWIW...as someone who is 90% basic research...you should have more clinical letters. Unless your research letters are from the chair of AACR and the Editor of JCO, clinical letters still trump research letters. You should definitely have one research letter but don't let that be the focus. Programs certainly like it if they can put out fellows who go on to have solid research careers, but first and foremost they are looking for people who can move the meat on service and in clinic. I applied to the Research Pathway with 1 lab letter and 3 clinical letters and got interviews @ 70% of the places I applied.

You will hear, over and over on the interview trail, "we only train academic oncologists." Smile, nod and remember that this is total crap. The honest programs (I remember MSKCC and Northwestern being this way) will say, "we prepare our graduates for academic careers but about half of them end up in private practice and do very well."

Last edited:
Hi.
I am in the grueling process of program selection. However, I found a number of programs' website don't have specific instructions on the required documents. In that case, do you just sent all the documents including MSPE, transcript and USMLE? or contact each program and confirm?
One more question, what is the website of UCLA program?
Good luck to you all..

Hi all, was wondering if anyone had more information on Hopkins and Duke?

Hopefully Ill get to meet all of you guys on the trail. Good luck and let the submissions begin (and hopefully not crash!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.
I am in the grueling process of program selection. However, I found a number of programs' website don't have specific instructions on the required documents. In that case, do you just sent all the documents including MSPE, transcript and USMLE? or contact each program and confirm?
One more question, what is the website of UCLA program?
Good luck to you all..

Good luck to everyone applying this year, Im sure to run into you guys on the trail

As far as I know, for the NRMP programs, the above documents are all that are required. I know a few programs you apply to outside the match (I think NCI might be one of them, at least as far as I can tell), but you probably just submit the same documents as you would for NRMP.

Just submitted my app last night!
Good luck to all applying this year... let us know of your adventures on the interview trail!

How many programs are you all applying to? I have about 12 on my list. Is that too few?

How many programs are you all applying to? I have about 12 on my list. Is that too few?

Depends. On a lot of things. The strength of your app. The level of the programs you're applying to. The strength of your app. Your LORs. And the strength of your app.

If you're a US grad in a solid academic residency, have some research, decent LORs and are applying to a good mix of places (not just MDACC, MSKCC, FHCRC, DFCI, Hopkins, UCSF and Stanford) you should be fine.

2 of my LORs have not reached EFDO yet. I called ERAS and was told that they are about a week behind in scanning documents. That means my LOR's won't be scanned until Dec 1st. Should I just go ahead and submit with all LORs designated or wait until all the LOR's have been scanned.

My concern is if I submit application with blank designated LOR's, the program might consider it as incomplete and reject.

Any advice?

2 of my LORs have not reached EFDO yet. I called ERAS and was told that they are about a week behind in scanning documents. That means my LOR's won't be scanned until Dec 1st. Should I just go ahead and submit with all LORs designated or wait until all the LOR's have been scanned.

My concern is if I submit application with blank designated LOR's, the program might consider it as incomplete and reject.

Any advice?

I applied last year. Submitted my app Dec 1, one of my LORs was not submitted till Dec 15th. As long as you designate it, it should be fine. 50% of programs don't download apps till later in Dec and the ones that download apps Dec 1st refresh your app daily so they will get your LOR as long as you designate it.

Thanks NightVision

Relieved to hear that. Actually, I just fount that one of those two letters is uploaded on EFDO as recieved on 16th.

so when i talked to EFDO they told me they where 3 days behind. Mailed final letter today. figure will be there on mon and hopfully scanned in by dec first.

anyone else bored

google search this and click on first file(pdf).............

Selection Criteria for Fellowships:Are We All on the Same Page?

Depends. On a lot of things. The strength of your app. The level of the programs you're applying to. The strength of your app. Your LORs. And the strength of your app.

If you're a US grad in a solid academic residency, have some research, decent LORs and are applying to a good mix of places (not just MDACC, MSKCC, FHCRC, DFCI, Hopkins, UCSF and Stanford) you should be fine.

Thanks. Actually I'm applying to all those programs and a few other California programs. All applicants from my residency program last year matched at DFCI, MD Anderson, and MSK.

I received my first ERAS inbox message of the season today! Unfortunately, it was just a note from Duke saying they are planning to review applications in December and offer interviews in January...

Best of luck to all applying! Let's get this thread rolling!

I opened my ERAS, I received 4 emails; Duke, Emory, Waynstate, and MD Anderson stating that they started downloading applications and giving the deadlines for documents etc. The letter from MD Anderson states "Thank you for your interest in our program. There seems to be a need for clarification with letters of recommendation.You will be submitting four (4). Three LORs from residency faculty and one (1) will be from your program director - PD LOR
Our ERAS post office box will remain open until Feb. 26th"

Guys anybody received these emails, is it general emails for everyone. I am glad to post. This is awesome thread. Oncology 08

I have got 2 more emails today, one from the Univ Washington/Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Ctr (Seattle) which is general email:

"Thank you very much for applying to our fellowship program. We plan to let applicants know on January 22, 2010, whether they have been selected to interview with our program.
The application review committee will review only COMPLETE applications, including:
--3 reference letters
--Medical school dean's letter
--Medical school transcripts
Applications must be complete by December 31, 2009, to provide our application reviewers with enough time to review all applications prior to January 22, 2010.
I will let you know if additional materials are needed to complete your application.
Thank you, again, for considering our program.

I have got another email from MD Anderson stating that the previous email was general to all applicants "The previous email from our program was sent to "all applicants." If you have already submitted three LORs and an additional LOR from your PD, there is no further action"'

According to last thread; the first interviews invitations were as early as December 14, however the bulk of invitations were in January. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

the same two emails from MD Anderson. I have been trying to call coordinator after the first email and then found the second one later on.

anyone here anything else..i got the same above emails. when do we start getting interviews/rejections?? some of my friends from other subspecialities have started getting IVs...

I have not hears anything yet. It seems that all the programs downloaded my application; just waiting. According to last year thread interview/rejections started around Dec 14.

anyone here anything else..i got the same above emails. when do we start getting interviews/rejections?? some of my friends from other subspecialities have started getting IVs...

These were the dates I got interview offers (applied last year), mostly email, didn't go on all of them. Also, I think most people who posted on this site matched at really good programs :)!

12/18: Columbia
12/23: U of Min
1/6: Northwestern
1/8: MD Anderson
1/9: Fox Chase
1/12: U of Southern Cali, Moffitt
1/14: Univ Iowa, Univ Maryland, NYU, Tufts
1/22: Ohio State, Washington Univ
1/26: Montefiore/Albert Einstein
1/30: Brown
2/3: Wayne State, UCLA, Univ Cali San Diego
2/4: Mem Sloan Kett
2/5: Cornell, Boston Univ, Univ Florida Gainseville
2/10: Univ of Chicago, Univ Rochester, Univ Colorado
2/13: Univ Pittsburgh, Scripps, Univ Texas San Antonio
2/17: Medical College Wisconsin
2/18: Univ Miami
2/20: Indiana Univ
2/23: Loyola

Last edited:
I'm with you guys, no offers (and no rejects) yet. Based on the previous post, looks like we'll have to patiently wait on programs to offer interviews -- Februrary invites! Yikes, I will not have fingernails left after this process!

i am a third year resident applying to heme/onc. any recs on what i should do in the year in between as fellowship (if i match) wont start until 2011. Some options are palliative care, transfusion medicine fellowship, hospitalist. what would help boost my application most in case i dont match?

i am a third year resident applying to heme/onc. any recs on what i should do in the year in between as fellowship (if i match) wont start until 2011. Some options are palliative care, transfusion medicine fellowship, hospitalist. what would help boost my application most in case i dont match?

1. I would either go for palliative medicine or chief resident. I am not familiar with transfusion medicine fellowship but it sounds a good idea.
TRY TO DO RESEARCH

2. If you can do hospitalist (7 days on 7 days off) in a place where there is Hemonc research then you may be able to do some research in your free time.

1. I would either go for palliative medicine or chief resident. I am not familiar with transfusion medicine fellowship but it sounds a good idea.
TRY TO DO RESEARCH

2. If you can do hospitalist (7 days on 7 days off) in a place where there is Hemonc research then you may be able to do some research in your free time. Hospitalist itself wont' be and advantage on your CV.

TRY TO DO RESEARCH

2. If you can do hospitalist (7 days on 7 days off) in a place where there is Hemonc research then you may be able to do some research in your free time.

I thought the reply didn't go through and tried to do it again. Sorry for repeating the same post. Good luck to you all

thanks oncology08 for the advice! i was thinking hospitalist would probably least helpful since it isnt Heme onc related.

are most people on this thread AMGs or FMGs?

I am FMG, green card, publications 4 abstracts, 2 articles (one case report and one origional), not good scores on USMLE (low 80s).

I am FMG, green card, publications 4 abstracts, 2 articles (one case report and one origional), not good scores on USMLE (low 80s).

AMG. USMLE high 90's x 3. Few pubs with two in the pipeline. Excellent university-based residency.

Applied to 20+ programs; have heard from none of them :xf:

AMG, usmle scores average, no manuscripts, multiple abstracts but not all in heme onc

FMG ( us citizen from carib school)
USMLE 230's
1 pub, 2 blood abst, 8 posters
mid tier university residency, with chief year

FMG from a community program, low USMLE scores, permanent resident, 3-4 publications, 1 oral presentation at ASH meeting, currently working as a post doc research fellow in hematology.

UNC reject today.

when is too late to apply?

I am a FMG, H1b visa, community hospital, NO research, NO publications, few local posters, USMLE high 90s, hopefully 2 LORs from hem/onc attendings in my hospital.
what are my chances?
and where should I apply?
I have not applied yet.

when is too late to apply?

I am a FMG, H1b visa, community hospital, NO research, NO publications, few local posters, USMLE high 90s, hopefully 2 LORs from hem/onc attendings in my hospital.
what are my chances?
and where should I apply?
I have not applied yet.

Well I was in your situation 1 year ago and H1 was not that helpful for me, despite my low scores and H1 I got 2 interviews (didn't match). I applied to all programs.

Now in your case you have high USMLE scores which will be positive. H1 will not help your application, as few programs consider it (they like J1 or citizen; permanent resident). But you got to do it, apply to as many programs as you can and see your chances, you never know. It takes one interview to match, that happened to me in Internal Medicine Residency, I matched from one interview. When I didn't get it last year I started doing some research and I already have my permanent residency. I am just hoping.