Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. UPitt (No. 1 due to location)
2. Northwestern (unsure which to place higher: NW or FCCC/Temple?)
3. Fox Chase
4. MSKCC (Excellent program...may put it higher...comments?)
5. UMiami (last 4 pretty much certain ranks on the list)
6. Roswell (Heme/Onc)
7. Tufts
8. Cincinnati
9. Roswell (Onc)

Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Rol
3. Fox Chase
6. Roswell (Heme/Onc)
7. Tufts
8. Cincinnati
9. Roswell (Onc)

Comments?

I would rank northwestern above Fox Chase. Dr Tallman at Northwestern is HUGELY influential, you would have great networking potential. The program is great, plus Chicago is a better city than Philly.

1) Baylor
2)Roswell Park Cancer Center (hem/onc)
3) University of Cincinnatte
4) University of Tennessee Memphis
5) William Beamont, MI

Please give suggestion if above ROL is not perfect.

I did not interview at any of the above but I think Roswell is a strongest of the programs. Except that it is in bufallo. If u dont mind the cold weather may be the best among those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rol
3. Fox Chase
6. Roswell (Heme/Onc)
7. Tufts
8. Cincinnati
9. Roswell (Onc)

Comments?

I would rank northwestern above Fox Chase. Dr Tallman at Northwestern is HUGELY influential, you would have great networking potential. The program is great, plus Chicago is a better city than Philly.

I agree I liked Northwestern a lot too. I interviewed at Uchicago too and I am debating whether to rank norhtwestern over Uchicago. The more I think about it i feel Northwestern scores over Uchicago. Great location/Faculty very friendly and respected/Great balance between clinical and research/very efficient house staff and hospital. I think Uchicago is too heavily basic research driven and less strong clinically. Still not sure which way to go with this one.....

I think I would have clearly picked MSKCC for no1. i think I would have more opportununities graduating from MSKCC than anyother place. I personally didnt like UPitt that much, it is actually on a downward trajecctory with very improtant faculty gone and more soon. There is lot of private docs on service. I didnt get a good feel from the fellows during my interview. Fox chase and northwestern are by far better programs.

Rol
3. Fox Chase
6. Roswell (Heme/Onc)
7. Tufts
8. Cincinnati
9. Roswell (Onc)

Comments?

3. Fox Chase
6. Roswell (Heme/Onc)
7. Tufts
8. Cincinnati
9. Roswell (Onc)

Comments?

I'd swap the positions of MSKCC and Pitt and then stop the list there. I might include RPCI in 5th. MSKCC has such a good name that it's hard to pass up (although I did, ranking it 3rd 2y ago). I don't know how much, if any, they'll actually suffer due to the IM probation at Cornell but I doubt it will have a huge impact.

which one is better among Baylor (6 seats, great housten, but under shade of MD Anderson, shaky hemonc faculity in last few yr) and Roswell Park (Comprehensive cancer center, good in solid tumers, but no residents so lots of work on floor, ok city buffalo)

which one is better among Baylor (6 seats, great housten, but under shade of MD Anderson, shaky hemonc faculity in last few yr) and Roswell Park (Comprehensive cancer center, good in solid tumers, but no residents so lots of work on floor, ok city buffalo)

MD Anderson/RPCI/Baylor

UT Memphis (with 4 seats in match, NCCN member due to its attachment with St Jude in memphis, bone marrow transplant unit, not a whole lot teaching by faculty per fellows, no 2 city in crimes>memphis) vs Uni of Cincinnatte (with 2 seats in match for 2010,but offered 2 prematches to 2010 candidate for 2009 year which were accepted, okay faculty, but new chief George Atweh highering new faculty, trying to get marrow transplant unit back from jeweish hospital, but good city, good name of university as comppared to ut memphis.

Any comments;;;;;;;

Even after comparing Housten with Buffalo (and 6 fellows vs 3 fellows) you think RPCI is better than Baylor

I think RPCI has a much stronger reputation than baylor. It is the oldest NCIDCC. Strong faculty.

Any thoughts on UNC-Chapel Hill or Washington University in St. Louis?

I dont have much info on UNC, but heard its a well rounded program. RE: WashU i heard mixed reports...malignant prgrm, fellows over worked and especially the BMT services are very hard. Very Hem and BMT centric prgm, solid tumors weak [except breast].... St Louis not a great place either...
Any thoughts on UNC-Chapel Hill or Washington University in St. Louis?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll share mine too... good for discussion:

Hutch
Stanford
JHU
UCSF
BIDMC
City of Hope
Columbia
Cornell
Mount Sinai

hmm... you picked Stanford over Hopkins too? what do other people think about that? I think Hopkins is a more well-rounded program overall, but looking at your list, I assume you're interested in liquids/BMT. (me too). I heard Stanford has one of the best BMT programs. I'd also put City of Hope much higher for that reason... it's the second best BMT program after the Hutch. (although for CofH, you'll have to do heme at Harbor...which isn't that great). I'd also put Cornell over Columbia for similar reasons.

NYMD1 - I also have to agree with everyone else, MSKCC should definitely be at the top (unless you have to be in PA, of course).

hmm... you picked Stanford over Hopkins too? what do other people think about that? I think Hopkins is a more well-rounded program overall, but looking at your list, I assume you're interested in liquids/BMT. (me too). I heard Stanford has one of the best BMT programs. I'd also put City of Hope much higher for that reason... it's the second best BMT program after the Hutch. (although for CofH, you'll have to do heme at Harbor...which isn't that great). I'd also put Cornell over Columbia for similar reasons.

NYMD1 - I also have to agree with everyone else, MSKCC should definitely be at the top (unless you have to be in PA, of course).

Oh, I totally agree, but that was vabz list not mine, I was just commenting on it!

Ok, my turn. This is my ROL, any inputs will always be appreciated:

1-MSKCC
2-Fox Chase
3- Fred Hutchinson
4- Cornell
5- Jefferson
6- Montefiore
7- Yale (heme)

Was hoping to get a few more opinions on MSKCC, especially how people felt about a stand-alone cancer center vs. university based program...

I'm not quite sure why, but I felt like the fit was better for me during my visits to some of the more competative university based programs (JHU, Duke for example) than at MSKCC...

MSK obviously has a great rep and has maybe the best clinical research opportunities because of the #'s, but I wonder if basic/translational work (which I am more interested in) is slightly better at one of these university settings.

Obviously location will play a large role in my decision, but what
do you think, would it be throwing away opportunities to rank say Duke over MSKCC?

ps. I still found MSK to be the best program in NYC and would rank it higher than fox chase (in response to vabz... I can't really comment too much on the other 2 you put ahead of it since I didn't interview there)
... unless of course you are not looking to stay in academics or maybe if you're on the fence about academic vs. pp, in which case you're original ordering makes sense.

Was hoping to get a few more opinions on MSKCC, especially how people felt about a stand-alone cancer center vs. university based program...

I'm not quite sure why, but I felt like the fit was better for me during my visits to some of the more competative university based programs (JHU, Duke for example) than at MSKCC...

MSK obviously has a great rep and has maybe the best clinical research opportunities because of the #'s, but I wonder if basic/translational work (which I am more interested in) is slightly better at one of these university settings.

Obviously location will play a large role in my decision, but what
do you think, would it be throwing away opportunities to rank say Duke over MSKCC?

ps. I still found MSK to be the best program in NYC and would rank it higher than fox chase (in response to vabz... I can't really comment too much on the other 2 you put ahead of it since I didn't interview there)
... unless of course you are not looking to stay in academics or maybe if you're on the fence about academic vs. pp, in which case you're original ordering makes sense.

Downsides of MSKCC:
- The program kinda frowns upon Fellows who want to be double boarded (they obviously allow it, but it is definitely not their preference).
- There is no actual consultation service for Fellows to newly diagnose cancer in patients in the hospital. Most patients come to MSKCC referred from their doctors, usually for a second opinion or new line treatment. Less bread and butter, much more hardcore stuff.
- Fellows have less independence in clinics, do not have their own panel of patients.
- Floor rotations are usually very busy and somewhat malignant (being in NYC and all)

Regarding translational research, they do have good programs for that, and are actually growing in that sense, but they are definitely stronger in clinical trials, given the number of patients that are seen in the hospital.

I appreciate everybody's reply...I did want to stay in Pittsburgh and thats the reason I picked it #1 (and also the fact that I don't like NY city and that I want to be dual certified). But am reconsidering MSKCC after your replies.....

Any specific reason why RPCI was recommended above UMiami? 90% fellows at RPCI go to private practice; dual certification provides only 4 months for research; heavy inpatient work due to absence of fellows (except nights when hospitalists take over); less independence in clinics and just being in Buffalo rather than Miami.

Thanks!

for anyone else ranking u. of chicago.. did you notice that it lists the program as hematology and oncology/research rather than hematology and oncology/clinical? please let me know!

Downsides of MSKCC:
- The program kinda frowns upon Fellows who want to be double boarded (they obviously allow it, but it is definitely not their preference).
- There is no actual consultation service for Fellows to newly diagnose cancer in patients in the hospital. Most patients come to MSKCC referred from their doctors, usually for a second opinion or new line treatment. Less bread and butter, much more hardcore stuff.
- Fellows have less independence in clinics, do not have their own panel of patients.
- Floor rotations are usually very busy and somewhat malignant (being in NYC and all)

Regarding translational research, they do have good programs for that, and are actually growing in that sense, but they are definitely stronger in clinical trials, given the number of patients that are seen in the hospital.

Everyone keeps talking about the same limitations about MDACC and MSKCC but having said all that... it is a FACT that a decent number of fellows from both end up in private practice and do OUTSTANDINGLY well. You are very well sort after in the private world. And if you wanna stay in academics there is nothing like training at one of these places, opportunities are immense.....

Ok, my turn. This is my ROL, any inputs will always be appreciated:

1-MSKCC
2-Fox Chase
3- Fred Hutchinson
4- Cornell
5- Jefferson
6- Montefiore
7- Yale (heme)

Why Fox chase over Hutch? Is it for personal reasons?

Why Fox chase over Hutch? Is it for personal reasons?

Yup, Location issues... But I think I will just forget about the issues and rank the Huthc in second place. It's a program too good to pass I think...

Hutch
Stanford
JHU
UCSF
BIDMC
City of Hope
Columbia
Cornell
Mount Sinai

yeah, i came up with my list based on strength in BMT mainly... also location. Do you guys think I need to switch things around? It's a tough choice, cuz I really loved Hopkins as well, but ended up ranking it lower than Stanford and the Hutch. Should City of Hope be above UCSF and BIDMC then? Any input would be appreciated.

UT Memphis (with 4 seats in match, NCCN member due to its attachment with St Jude in memphis, bone marrow transplant unit, not a whole lot teaching by faculty per fellows, no 2 city in crimes>memphis) vs Uni of Cincinnatte (with 2 seats in match for 2010,but offered 2 prematches to 2010 candidate for 2009 year which were accepted, okay faculty, but new chief George Atweh highering new faculty, trying to get marrow transplant unit back from jeweish hospital, but good city, good name of university as comppared to ut memphis.

Any comments;;;;;;;

Everyone keeps talking about the same limitations about MDACC and MSKCC but having said all that... it is a FACT that a decent number of fellows from both end up in private practice and do OUTSTANDINGLY well. You are very well sort after in the private world. And if you wanna stay in academics there is nothing like training at one of these places, opportunities are immense.....

I had the same thoughts about RPCI. With almost no residents, fellow do all work. With all these flaws, I dont know why RPCI is so favourite of people

I appreciate everybody's reply...I did want to stay in Pittsburgh and thats the reason I picked it #1 (and also the fact that I don't like NY city and that I want to be dual certified). But am reconsidering MSKCC after your replies.....

Any specific reason why RPCI was recommended above UMiami? 90% fellows at RPCI go to private practice; dual certification provides only 4 months for research; heavy inpatient work due to absence of fellows (except nights when hospitalists take over); less independence in clinics and just being in Buffalo rather than Miami.

Thanks!

I had the same thoughts about RPCI. With almost no residents, fellow do all work. With all these flaws, I dont know why RPCI is so favourite of people

Is there any benefit of calling program or sending them an e mail that we are ranking them higher now...........or the time is over........

I'm new here but I appreciate everyone's insight.
One program told me that they sit down and review all the numbers in
mid-May. I can't imagine that there is much that would sway a program
significantly at this stage of the game, but it probably can't hurt either.

Does anyone have insight into the relative strength of the "other" NYC programs, Columbia, Cornell, Mt Sinai, and NYU? I liked Cornell but was concerned about the IM probation and the sense that they work really hard. Is that true anywhere in NYC?

I'm new here but I appreciate everyone's insight.
One program told me that they sit down and review all the numbers in
mid-May. I can't imagine that there is much that would sway a program
significantly at this stage of the game, but it probably can't hurt either.

Does anyone have insight into the relative strength of the "other" NYC programs, Columbia, Cornell, Mt Sinai, and NYU? I liked Cornell but was concerned about the IM probation and the sense that they work really hard. Is that true anywhere in NYC?

Kinda true. I know Cornell and Columbia fellows work really hard, that is the nature of NYP hospital. Monty is very busy too. MSKCC is not as busy, having more protected time for fellows. I don´t know about Sinai

Yup, Location issues... But I think I will just forget about the issues and rank the Huthc in second place. It's a program too good to pass I think...

I hope to see u in hutch... its #1 on my list.... I am starting to feel my nerves now.... Good luck with match every1.

Awsome list for BMT....
Hutch
Stanford
JHU
UCSF
BIDMC
City of Hope
Columbia
Cornell
Mount Sinai

yeah, i came up with my list based on strength in BMT mainly... also location. Do you guys think I need to switch things around? It's a tough choice, cuz I really loved Hopkins as well, but ended up ranking it lower than Stanford and the Hutch. Should City of Hope be above UCSF and BIDMC then? Any input would be appreciated.

I am trying to decide between these two. I would love to live in jacksonville but Roswell Park is a good program to let pass by. Any input?

Anyone knows if Cornell fellows have good job placement after completion of fellowship?
Thanks!

Thanks Cetuximab. I've heard similar complaints about Wash U, but it has a good reputation and is an NCCN institution. So I was wondering how high to rank it.

Thanks Cetuximab. I've heard similar complaints about Wash U, but it has a good reputation and is an NCCN institution. So I was wondering how high to rank it.

WashU is very reputed for the med school and the medicine program. But the cancer center is infact very new compared to the other major programs. The oncology division has been growing but has yet do some catching up with the other major programs. There is very good basic research going on in benign heme and BMT, but other areas are pretty average when compared to other good programs.

I wonder your opinions of Jefferson Program hem-onc. I would like to stay in philadelphia, but this should not b a reason for not choosing a btr place. How are you guys ranking it?....let me know your pros and cons, so I compare with mine.

I wonder your opinions of Jefferson Program hem-onc. I would like to stay in philadelphia, but this should not b a reason for not choosing a btr place. How are you guys ranking it?....let me know your pros and cons, so I compare with mine.

I interviewed there and liked it a lot overall. I think they are a very clinical oriented program, but with opportunities for research (mainly clinical research). There are no big names there yet, but apparently they are expanding the faculty and recruiting people from all over ( I heard they are hiring 11 new faculty within the next year). I thought the faculty was very nice, and the fellows are overall happy. It is a NCI designated cancer center, which says something already. Also, it is in a great location in Philly.

Cons are that you have to rotate through Einstein (which is in a crappy part of Philly) and Christiana Care in Delaware (which is kinda far to commute). Also, if you are into basic research, or even translational, perhaps this is not the best place for you. If you want to go to pp, this seems to be a very good option.
Hope it helps!

I interviewed there and liked it a lot overall. I think they are a very clinical oriented program, but with opportunities for research (mainly clinical research). There are no big names there yet, but apparently they are expanding the faculty and recruiting people from all over ( I heard they are hiring 11 new faculty within the next year). I thought the faculty was very nice, and the fellows are overall happy. It is a NCI designated cancer center, which says something already. Also, it is in a great location in Philly.

Cons are that you have to rotate through Einstein (which is in a crappy part of Philly) and Christiana Care in Delaware (which is kinda far to commute). Also, if you are into basic research, or even translational, perhaps this is not the best place for you. If you want to go to pp, this seems to be a very good option.
Hope it helps!

Did anyone get an email from BU saying "thought very highly of your application and will be very happy if you match in our program"...

Are these like generic emails they generate for all interviewees?

Just curious.

Did anyone get an email from BU saying "thought very highly of your application and will be very happy if you match in our program"...

Just curious.
I got it too. More than 40 candidates for only two positions. I really do not how to answer this email back.

Hi, just found this forum. A lot of great insight on programs. I am about to submit my rank list and feeling like I need some feedback from people who would know. A few of these programs have been mentioned, but can anyone comment on my list?
1) Vanderbilt
2) BIDCC
3) Dartmouth
4) Wake Forrest
5) Rochester U
6) Colorado
7) Umass
8) UConn

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone. :)

Just curious.

I cant sleep, I cant think I am going crazy...I wish this match was today...I do not know what to do if I dont match....suicide????

I cant sleep, I cant think I am going crazy...I wish this match was today...I do not know what to do if I dont match....suicide????

Hey DominicanPPI, relax dude... getting a fellowship isnt everything. There are so many things you could do with your life.... dont be so desperately fixated on the fellowship. Your at a junction and this is just one road you may or may not take... there are multiple roads open for you. If you are persistent and passionate about hem/onc there are multiple ways you can better your chances for next year doing something exciting like an academic hospitalist in a major cancer center and publish. You will do well. And GOOD LUCK WITH THE match.

Baylor versus Roswell Park buffalo????????

which one should be ranked higher

University of Tennessee versus University of Cincinnatte?????????.

which one should be ranked higher. Any input?

ALMOST time. CAN ANYONE tell me which programs, specifically clinical community programs are the best in NYC area? Specifically, which are stronger clinically- Donwstate, Maimonides, StonyBrook, St. Vincent's ? Thanks for the input and godd luck to all.

ALMOST time. CAN ANYONE tell me which programs, specifically clinical community programs are the best in NYC area? Specifically, which are stronger clinically- Donwstate, Maimonides, StonyBrook, St. Vincent's ? Thanks for the input and godd luck to all.

Downstate and St Vincent´s would be in the same league, pretty much.
Stony Brook is a great place, but out of the city, and I would imagine you see less variety than Donstate or St vincent´s

Maimonides is not the greatest place around...

ROL's were due today, but I didn't email or anything stating we are good to go for the match. When I log into the NRMP is just says certified ROL but nothing else. Is this what everyone else is getting? Thx.

ROL's were due today, but I didn't email or anything stating we are good to go for the match. When I log into the NRMP is just says certified ROL but nothing else. Is this what everyone else is getting? Thx.

Yup, that´s it! Good luck everyone! I am sure we all made great choices!!!

Good Luck everyone! May we all be satisfied with the result of the match! 2 weeks to go!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.