Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
also yale onc

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on those have had IVs! For most of the programs that some people already have IVs, I never get IVs or rejection. Does the silence mean rejection? Can someone help? Thanks a lot!

Hi tsgene,

I am facing the same predicament. I have heard from many previous candidates, those that have matched, that it is still early in the interview season and programs go through apps and keep sending out invites. I would advise you to be patient, although it is something I am finding extremely hard to do myself. But I'm sure there are some progs that think that even we deserve interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm currently a 4th year medical student applying for residency with the intention of applying for a hem/onc fellowship in a couple of years.

I have a question regarding the reputation of the residency program when fellowship directors consider the applications. Also, is it better to go to a program that has a Comprehensive Cancer Center versus an academic center that does not?

I'm looking to go back to Chicago for fellowship -- specifically at University of Chicago, Northwestern, or Rush....does anyone know what are important factors for these particular programs?

I'd really appreciate any input!!

:thumbdown: FCCC

:thumbup: UMGCC, TJUH, Drexel, Lankaneau, Yale

Hi
According to what we saw here it seems still we are just in 2nd quarter of superbowel. I haven't heard from 50-60% programs I have applied - neither iv nor rej or iv by other members -
keep your hopes alive. we haven't reached 2min warning yet!

Hi
According to what we saw here it seems still we are just in 2nd quarter of superbowel. I haven't heard from 50-60% programs I have applied - neither iv nor rej or iv by other members -
keep your hopes alive. we haven't reached 2min warning yet!

I am still waiting to hear back from 90% of the programs that I have applied to...

Although, from reviewing last year's thread we are still early on in the interview granting phase. Last year interviews were initially granted up till the early to mid parts of February.

Last edited:
:thumbup: I got invitation from cook county this morning, no rejections yet...:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any hope for a candidate with an attempt in step 3 for fellowship or is it not even worth applying?

:thumbup: Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine

:thumbup: Cleveland Clinic
on a sidenote, does anyone know the difference between Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Univ & Assoc hospitals fellowships?
b/c from what I remember, Case Univ encompasses Cleveland Clinic
and Case is a Comprehensive Care Center (Cleveland Clinic is an assoc hospital)

Last edited:
Hi Vabz,
Do you mind sharing your credentials b/c to have an interview at Foz Chase is quite something. I wonder why U maryland is getting so choosy. Congrats on the interview. Sorry about the other two.

:thumbdown: Fox Chase, Univ. Maryland, Montefiore

interview offers at uw/fred hutch, ucsf, u michigan, u vermont so far.

Last edited:
I applied mid-december.
I havent heard from most of the programs I applied to.
Should i be worried now?

can you post ur credentials

metroMD credentials:

AMG from middle-upper tier University IM Residency with NCI designated CCC, mid 80s on all 3 USMLEs, ABIM Board Certified, 8 publications with 2 first author papers in premier journals, good-excellent letters of recommendation (IM PD, research advisor, clinic preceptor hematologist-oncologist, current supervising medical director)... completed 1st year of hem-onc fellowship at NYC program but resigned due to acute medical condition.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Only one I'll add that I haven't seen listed is Tufts IV

Hey- did Cornell give a list of dates?

Does anybody knows, Advocate Lutheran and University of Chicago is downloading application because they have not downloaded my application yet.Or may be they are not participating in match?:idea:

Advocate Lutheran said its not offering any heme/onc fellowship for 2010. I learned this when I called them before applying.

:thumbup: Cleveland Clinic
on a sidenote, does anyone know the difference between Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Univ & Assoc hospitals fellowships?
b/c from what I remember, Case Univ encompasses Cleveland Clinic
and Case is a Comprehensive Care Center (Cleveland Clinic is an assoc hospital)
Both are seperate fellowships.
Best

Interviews by email last thursday::thumbup: Cornell University and University of Maryland

Cornell only gave 4 dates in Feb and March

Sorry about it. how did u get rejection? through email?
I don't know why I don't hear about my rejections...

Let's keep the trend of saying how people are getting interviews and rejections ie. snail mail vs. email vs. phone call.

Good luck everyone!!

u of penn by email; dates in march and april.

Has anyone heard back from the program coordinator from Fred Hutch about confirmation of dates for interview? Thanks.

Has anyone received bad news from Stanford yet? I'm starting to get that sinking feeling...

Has anyone heard back from the program coordinator from Fred Hutch about confirmation of dates for interview? Thanks.

Yeah, heard back from the Hutch late last night (1/19) regarding interview dates.

*Feb 20, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 6, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 24, 2009 (Tue)
*Mar 27, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 31, 2009 (Tue)
*Apr 3, 2009 (Fri)

Hope that helps.

Yeah, heard back from the Hutch late last night (1/19) regarding interview dates.

*Feb 20, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 6, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 24, 2009 (Tue)
*Mar 27, 2009 (Fri)
*Mar 31, 2009 (Tue)
*Apr 3, 2009 (Fri)

Hope that helps.

That's awesome westcoast..congratulations!! that's one of the best programs esp for hem. Doconc: did you get an interview too? Did anyone else get invite from there?

:thumbup: U Vermont by email on monday- probably second round, i remember they started sending out invites very early on in dec.

:thumbup: U Vermont by email on monday- probably second round, i remember they started sending out invites very early on in dec.

Do you guys think that we are in the second round of interview granting, or are the programs still going through the applications and granting initial interviews still?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I have a bad feeling that we may running out of time very soon. So where is that flow of invitations that we can see in last year thread? :confused:

I have a bad feeling that we may running out of time very soon. So where is that flow of invitations that we can see in last year thread? :confused:

Have a bad feeling, too. Considering there are just a few applicants on this forum, we do not get a good idea of what's going on really. There seem to be a few applicants here with a good number of interviews and others who either have a couple or none at all. Also it is really difficult to know what's been working for who. As some PPs have indicated issues such as Visa, community vs. univ programs, LOR s can make a huge difference. Anyway, am still trying to stay positive.
Best to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.