Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I am new to the forum and am delighted to see an active discussion. I have one question on LOR: Since most institutions need 3 LOR's, if I assign 4 LOR from my application and if only 3 were uploaded to ERAS and when the institutions start downloading my application do they feel that my application is complete? or do they wait for my last LOR to be uploaded?

Members don't see this ad.

they will download your application and send it for review once ur application becomes complete....they can always forward the fourth one when it becomes available.....as always different programs work differently.....good luck

Quick question. I have applied to some of the med onc programs in addition to Heme Onc. Is it okay for the PDs letter to mention heme onc? I have indicated in the PS that I want to train in Onc and Heme. But the place I have applied does nto have Heme track. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question. I have applied to some of the med onc programs in addition to Heme Onc. Is it okay for the PDs letter to mention heme onc? I have indicated in the PS that I want to train in Onc and Heme. But the place I have applied does nto have Heme track. Any suggestions. Thanks.

It will make less than no difference.

anyone preparing PS for each program? I know it will be a lot of work....was wondering if it worth the effort and whether it is required to successfully match? thanks. Good luck everyone. Dec 1 is here.

:)

Writing a PS for each program is definitely unnecessary. As many have said on this board, the PS does not count for much. I would use the same one for all programs unless you want to do 2 (one to emphasize academics/research and other for more clinical programs). December 1 is tomorrow, and I doubt programs will download on a saturday, so I would say dec 3 is the date.... would u all agree?

Anybody else frustrated with not having your letters in from your letter writers? i.e. not responding to your emails? so far only have 1/4 letters uploaded, and i asked for them 7 weeks ago!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

is there anyway to find out on ERAS if a letter has been received? I know, ERAS sends an e-mail when they receive it, but otherwise is there any other way of figuring it out?

was surprised to see that Cleveland Clinic downloaded applications on a weekend. I guess it is one of those automatic ones. goodluck everyone.

is there anyway to find out on ERAS if a letter has been received? I know, ERAS sends an e-mail when they receive it, but otherwise is there any other way of figuring it out?

found it!
to answer my own question...the info is under the "track application" tab. i still have one slacker doc who told me 2 weeks ago that he sent in the LOR!

Hi, does any one know how long is it taking to upload Photo, transcripts and MPSE at ERAS? My documents were received by ERAS in second week of November. That is when I got an email confirmation.

i think they are up as soon as they send you an email? if not, then within 3-4 days is my guess.

I am trying to submit my ERAS by tomorrow as I realize I am very behind.

1. How did you guys list manuscript/abstract in preparation?

2. Some of my abstracts for conference were published in 'abstract issue' of the respective journals. I cannot look these up on pubmed which means that there is no way I can find out on which page my abstract was published. Should I list these under poster presentations? Any advice?

3. Future conferences? (I will be submitting an abstract for ASCO meeting in Jan, 2008)

1) You cannot include papers under preparation....it does not provide you that option///
2) yes...include int he abstract/poster section
3) You cannot include future presentations.....i couldnt....maybe someone else could give you a trick.....

goodluck...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot.

One more question - where did people list their thesis?
I know some institutions put everyone's thesis in the library.

Did everyone get the MD anderson email RE: closing acgme #, etc....

Basically, does that mean the med onc program is closing and there will only be heme/onc?

I applied to both, will i get refunded the $25???

No such reply from MD Anderson. I have applied to the combined tract. I doubt ERAS will refund since it is not their fault that the program is closing one of their tracks.....

About 50% of my programs have downloaded....received email from Fred Hutch regarding interview dates....and they would send interview invitations by mid jan, if selected for interview....it was a group email.....

Penn state acknowledged receiving my application.....

good luck everyone.....

ERAS will not refund money. even if the program completely pulls out of the match. there is a disclaimer somewhere around the "programs" tab.

Glad to see someone revived the hem-onc fellowship thread.

My wallet feels a lot lighter and I am $400 poorer.

What is a good number of programs to apply to? Obviously it will depend on other factors USG vs IMG, etc. Any thoughts?

I am a US citizen, US grad, with some research and a publication. However my Step scores have been low - around 200. How many programs should I apply to? Is there an ideal number of interviews one should have?

Thanks everyone. Here's to a good application season...

Hi Inthian, I am planning to apply to Fred Hutch too and I when I am about to choose the track there were three options - Hematology-Oncology (18 mos clinical) (Fellowship), Medical Oncology Only (12 mos clinical) (Fellowship) and Fellowship. Do you know which one is the 3 year fellowship program? or do I have to select two tracks: Fellowship and Hematology - Oncology?

Just a little lost :(

No such reply from MD Anderson. I have applied to the combined tract. I doubt ERAS will refund since it is not their fault that the program is closing one of their tracks.....

About 50% of my programs have downloaded....received email from Fred Hutch regarding interview dates....and they would send interview invitations by mid jan, if selected for interview....it was a group email.....

Penn state acknowledged receiving my application.....

good luck everyone.....

Hi,
I also would like to know a little bit on each of our background (like citizenship status, IMG?, research publications, university background). I will begin with mine:

US Citizen
IMG - Yes
Research Pub - 1 (even though my research is in GI, it is related to hematology too)
Poster Presentations - 3 at community organization
IM from community hospital
LOR - all from Attendants and PD from the community hospital

Don't know where I stand with these qualifications. Planning to apply around 40 - 45 mostly along east coast. Does any one know which programs are IMG friendly?

I applied to Hematology-Oncology and Fellowship...I didnt choose the med onc option.....

Hi Inthian, I am planning to apply to Fred Hutch too and I when I am about to choose the track there were three options - Hematology-Oncology (18 mos clinical) (Fellowship), Medical Oncology Only (12 mos clinical) (Fellowship) and Fellowship. Do you know which one is the 3 year fellowship program? or do I have to select two tracks: Fellowship and Hematology - Oncology?

2 days after submitting my application, UCLA sent me an email saying that I was not 'eligible' for their program because I currently hold H1B visa.

I didn't apply to Stanford or UW because they clearly say on their homepage that only citizens/green card holders can apply but I didn't have time to look into other institutions.

I am expecting a lot more emails like that this month.

I am AMG but on H1B.

2 days after submitting my application, UCLA sent me an email saying that I was not 'eligible' for their program because I currently hold H1B visa.

I didn't apply to Stanford or UW because they clearly say on their homepage that only citizens/green card holders can apply but I didn't have time to look into other institutions.

I am expecting a lot more emails like that this month.

I am AMG but on H1B.
Sorry abou that Legend.....interesting to see that you are on a H1B....anyway I am sure u will get calls from schools that sponsor H1B.....goodluck....

Programs that havent downloaded include....UCSD, UAB, UChicago, Indiana, UIowa, Mayo, Cornell, NYU, URochester, TJU, UFlorida.....

goodluck everyone....keep posting

hey Legend, sorry to hear about the rejection. sadly, i'm sure we will all be there soon with you.
no worries- majority of folks on this site (last 2 years) have matched. the trend will continue this year!:thumbup:

I am in the middle of applying to programs and want an urgent clarification.
While applying to programs, how many LOR's should I send- 3 or 4. A lot of the programs do not provide this information on their website, neither is this info available on Freida. Do I need to individually call them up to get the info:confused:
Is it better to send 4 LOR's just to be on the safer side; or is 3 is what is required??? Could it be held against you if you send an extra LOR?

Kindly reply asap and good luck to all!!

From NCI.....stating that they do not accept people on EAD (my GC is pending approval in its last stage)...anyway...GL

I am in the middle of applying to programs and want an urgent clarification.
While applying to programs, how many LOR's should I send- 3 or 4. A lot of the programs do not provide this information on their website, neither is this info available on Freida. Do I need to individually call them up to get the info:confused:
Is it better to send 4 LOR's just to be on the safer side; or is 3 is what is required??? Could it be held against you if you send an extra LOR?

Kindly reply asap and good luck to all!!

It doesn't matter. If you have 4 good letters, send them.

It doesn't matter. If you have 4 good letters, send them.
Thanks for giving me that info:).
So do you think I should just send the 4th LOR even to programs that do mention their requirement for 3?
My 4th LOR is a good one , but it's from the director of geriatrics.
Please suggest.

From NCI.....stating that they do not accept people on EAD (my GC is pending approval in its last stage)...anyway...GL

2nd rejection from NCI. haha

My bigger problem though is I still have ZERO letter in.

Hi, seems like there are no updates from anyone. I have only received ack from Penn State. Most of the programs have downloaded the information (though only 2 LOR's have reached them)

i guess the action will start towards the end of dec.....last 2 years most of the calls seemed to have come during january.....ofcourse that does not prevent me from checking my email every hr.....i hope people who get interviews post it here so that others will have an idea.....GL and happy holidays....

I know it's still early, but someone who matched last year said he got some during the 2nd week? hemonc09 did you say you got one from Penn state?

Last year, I received my first interview through the match from Fox Chase Dec 29th. I received several more during Jan and some in March. I got an interview from univ of arizona the first week of dec but last year they did NOT receive materials through eras, you still had to do a separate application but they used the match. So my first interview was the first week of jan, the rest happened in Feb and most in March, some con't through april, there were dates the first week of may also

Thanx for the reply IMBound....previous years seemed to have received some rejections during december.....but most of the calls are in january.....

Programs that have not downloaded.....TJU, NYU, UCSD, Emory, UAB, Univ of Miami, Univ of Florida, CWRU, UConn.....Indiana and UMass have downloaded everything but my LORs.....

GL and keep updating......Happy Holidays...

I have got my first rejection from Northwestern University. They send me an email today. Im IMG, GC holder. Good luck to you all. :)

Hi all. I can confirm Northwestern's early application review... have been offered an interview by email today.

Good luck to everyone in this year's match. Will stay posted.

lenoxhill has sent an email saying "it was errorneously stated that they are going through match for 2009. There are no positions available for 2009".

slomustang.....congrats on the first call of the season.....

Lenox Hill....that was unprofessional.....anyway GL everyone....

most the heme people are on ASH meeting.....

Congratulations slomustang. Are you an AMG with good research background?

hey guys, i am new to the forum though following for last month or so. just an intro, i am an img, on H1B visa, applied last year to heme-onc and didnt match anywhere. going all over again. just got my first rejection from northwestern. good luck for everyone.
congrats slomustang on ur first call.

good to see so many people applying to heme-onc this year. haven't been checking this thread for a while. good to see that there are still a few people like me who went through last year's application process still reading this thread. hi clueless! just want to share a few tips and answer a few questions.

one major tip: i know heme-onc is getting more competitive, and most people now are applying everywhere to a ton of programs. but before you start doing that, really think about what you want to do in the long term first. are you all about academics and research, or do you want to go into private practice where the money is? try to be realistic. i know most programs are going to appear as they only want people who love to have a career in research, but the truth is, even the most hard-core academic programs produce many fellows that end up going into private practice. if you feel that you are more likely to go into private practice, try to focus on programs in areas where you wouldn't mind settling down. because ultimately, local connections are more likely to land you good private practice jobs instead of academic reputation alone.

a litle bit about Fred Hutch. it really is a decent program, in fact it was my first choice, but mainly because i wanted to go to seattle more than i really wanted to be at Fred Hutch. like clueless said, it's big on bone marrow transplant, and the hematology department is really the biggest thing there. the word on the street is that you don't go there for solid tumor. that is changing slowly as they are working harder to develop their onc program. when i interviewed there last year, a few of the fellows did tell me that they were going into private practice, but by far the majority were going into academics. however, there's one caveat, they actually expect that at the end of your fellowship, you should already have a research grant, then pack up your bag and go somewhere else for an academic position. so most of them don't end up staying in seattle. one more thing, if you do their heme-onc track, be prepared to spend 3.5 years, while their med-onc track in 3 years (but you can't double-board in heme and onc). last year, there were only 3 spots in the combined heme-onc track, but 6 spots in the med-onc track. in addition, the med-onc track didn't fill during the match. so if you are dead set on going to Fred Hutch, and don't necessarily want to double board, then by all means apply to the Med-Onc track, your chance of matching there is much higher. the combined heme-onc track is really run by the Heme department, so they are looking more for someone interested in Heme. i applied for the heme-onc track, and ended up matching somewhere else, but if i had applied for the med-onc track, i probably would've matched there. ultimately, i think i would still rather double board and keep my options open rather than doing only med-onc.

anyway, hope that helps.

I applied 2 weeks ago. No calls yet!!!!!!!!

Are the applications stuck in snow???????

:(:eek:

guess they r frozen in the ice storm. by this time last year, atleast i had 2-3 rejections.

Relax guys.....calls will come through......got an email from NIH stating that the hematology PD is in ASH and that the applications will be reviewed after he gets back.....i am sure this is the case in many other schools as well.....

GL....

Hi guys, any luck with interviews so far? Nothing here... just an email from UofW offering dates, but not an invitation itself... :confused:

.......Even a rejection would be okay for now!

did UCSD, UFlorida, NYU, UTSanAntonnio, UAlabama download applications for any of you guys? Wonder fi this normal for programs to wait so long before dowloading.....

i strongly feel that calls will start coming late dec and through jan.....i might of course get rejections after being screened out in some of the programs.....

happybob - good to see you back, dude! I still peruse the thread once in a while, because I told myself I would try to offer some insight into the process in the spirit of the likes of HDMTX and germanIMG, who were SUPER helpful in lending advice during our run through the application process. The application process was a long, painful road (basically spanning my entire second year of residency), but ultimately worth it. I felt it helped to have people that went through the process the year before chipping in with their 2-cents (it sure helped me), because otherwise it's just sort of the blind leading the blind. Honestly, I would have to say I mostly agreed with the impressions of our predecessors in regards to programs, the application process, the psyche of program directors, and pretty much everything else. It's amazing what clarity you have in hindsight...

Anyhoo, everyone applying now: DON'T freak out about not hearing anything from anyone. Everyone is at ASH or else wrapping up their academic activities for the calendar year and getting ready to take their families on vacation for the holidays. No one is going to review any applications seriously until the new year. I received zero interview offers at this time last year, and really didn't hear anything from anywhere (rejection or offer) until mid-January. It's a marathon, not a sprint - believe me, once the floodgates open in January, you'll be getting 15 emails a day. You guys will have to beat the offers off with a stick. For now, the best thing to do is just forget about the fact that you've applied to fellowship, enjoy the holidays, and you can resume stressing out about it in the new year. I know, easy for me to say, but that's the best advice I can give you guys at this point.

Me? I'll be bracing up for my last snowy winter for the forseeable future - this time next year, snow will be a distant memory. happybob - see you on the links in SoCal!!!

email from Univ of Rochester requesting clarification of visa status.....many programs do not seem to be understand the concept of Employment Authorization Document....

anyone in the same boat currently or from last year? seems like it might create confusion in the programs.....dont know if i did the right thing by indicating that i am on EAD....any suggestions or comments....GL