Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Inthian,

Most of the programs especially residency and fellowship dont understand the concept of EAD. Since you are going to get your greencard soon, i think it would have been better if you stated that you have a greencard. Hemonc fellowship, for the most part count on NIH found and prefere Greencard or Citizen holders. Howevere some programs do accept J1 and few accept H1.

So fatr i have got one rejection from NW university. good luck to you all

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Oncology8 for that insight.....I can see why programs dont know about EAD....however, I have no documentation to show that I am a permanent resident and I would be stuck if they ask for documentation..,,,,

Guess I should proactively contact them and explain the situation adn send them my EAD card.....GL guys....

so ive been reading sdn since med school...and now im here again for heme/onc fellowship. thought id finally join. i know many of you havent heard from any programs one way or the other, but which programs have you heard from?

so far, ive only heard from one re: interview, northwestern.

also, what are the nyu "community" programs like...such as beth israel, st lukes-roosevelt, lenox hill? are they any good?

and what about mskcc vs mt sinai vs nyu vs columbia vs cornell?

would love to hear all your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
hello tilatequuilamd......congrats on the interview at NW.....regarding NY programs...depends on what you are looking for in the program....academic vs community.....most programs would give you good lcinical training....but if you want research as well then an academic center would be preferable....

goodluck and keep updating..

so ive been reading sdn since med school...and now im here again for heme/onc fellowship. thought id finally join. i know many of you havent heard from any programs one way or the other, but which programs have you heard from?

so far, ive only heard from one re: interview, northwestern.

also, what are the nyu "community" programs like...such as beth israel, st lukes-roosevelt, lenox hill? are they any good?

and what about mskcc vs mt sinai vs nyu vs columbia vs cornell?

would love to hear all your thoughts!

That is precisely what I thought when I indicated EAD as present status. That said, isn't there a place where it is asked to indicate the visa status at the time of joining the program ? I have indicated "immigrant" there.

But it would be very infortunate if they overlook or don't care to know and simply put the app in the trash!

Calling/e-mailing the 50 or so programs about the EAD would be one task and then there is no guarantee they would heed to our advise! :rolleyes:

Thanks Oncology8 for that insight.....I can see why programs dont know about EAD....however, I have no documentation to show that I am a permanent resident and I would be stuck if they ask for documentation..,,,,

Guess I should proactively contact them and explain the situation adn send them my EAD card.....GL guys....

I have indicated EAD in current status and Immigrant/EAD in the anticipated visa status....I am hoping programs will ask for clarification if needed....will have to wait adn see....thanks for the input..GL

That is precisely what I thought when I indicated EAD as present status. That said, isn't there a place where it is asked to indicate the visa status at the time of joining the program ? I have indicated "immigrant" there.

But it would be very infortunate if they overlook or don't care to know and simply put the app in the trash!

Calling/e-mailing the 50 or so programs about the EAD would be one task and then there is no guarantee they would heed to our advise! :rolleyes:

hey guys... 1st rejection from dana farber...:thumbdown: , well at least I know prgrams are reviewing applications

1st regection from Northwest University:thumbdown:
2nd regection from Dana Faber:thumbdown:
Boston University sent email they will review applications Dec 17

Invite by phone.....interviewing dates from Jan till May....only on tuesdays and fridays.....

of course the rejection from Dana Farber....was expecting that...GL everyone....

briefly, I am an IMG, with research, now in University program doing residency....dont need visa but not a GC holder yet....

Invite by phone.....interviewing dates from Jan till May....only on tuesdays and fridays.....

of course the rejection from Dana Farber....was expecting that...GL everyone....

briefly, I am an IMG, with research, now in University program doing residency....dont need visa but not a GC holder yet....

Where are you doing your residency, Inthian? Conrats on your first interview.

hey guys, i am new to the forum though following for last month or so. just an intro, i am an img, on H1B visa, applied last year to heme-onc and didnt match anywhere. going all over again. just got my first rejection from northwestern. good luck for everyone.
congrats slomustang on ur first call.
Hi! I am new to the forum...still awaiting for interviews! how many places did you applied last year? how many interviews did you have ?
GL for everybody!

I am sorry about the rejection!
can you share your credentials? when did you apply?
Keep a positive attitude!

First invite this year from Brown, offering only 4 dates to a list of 20 candidates (on the mass email).. last year I didnt get my first invite (from NYU) until 1/15 or so... GL to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello ghettomd:

Congrats on your first call. I guess the 20 candidates made the first list.....I am assuming a reject from them at this point :(. Thanks for posting and GL.

First invite this year from Brown, offering only 4 dates to a list of 20 candidates (on the mass email).. last year I didnt get my first invite (from NYU) until 1/15 or so... GL to everyone

Inthian, congrats for your interview at Jefferson also.. I think its still too early to think rejection at this point. Last year, programs like Sinai/UCs/NYU/Maryland didnt sned their invitation until late Jan-Mar. I'm hoping for a Jefferson invite too =)

Hello ghettomd:

Congrats on your first call. I guess the 20 candidates made the first list.....I am assuming a reject from them at this point :(. Thanks for posting and GL.

Brown invited 32 people last year for their 3 spots.....if they plan to invite the same number then there are another 12 peopel who may be called later this season for interviews....that makes it a slim shot for me....I am sure the calls occur through feb....thanks and GL.....
Inthian, congrats for your interview at Jefferson also.. I think its still too early to think rejection at this point. Last year, programs like Sinai/UCs/NYU/Maryland didnt sned their invitation until late Jan-Mar. I'm hoping for a Jefferson invite too =)

I was on the Brown list, too!!!!! Today at the hospital, I was so excited that I told everyone (including a few folks who i don't quite know)! :)

no word from Jefferson, however..... :(

UC Davis sent out their invitation today... pretty exciting considering I interviewed there last year they still want to give me a chance... GL everyone, keep your heads up... 09onc, congratulations on your invitation to Brown, maybe i'll see you there!

Was wondering if all of you who have invites already, do you have all of your letters in?

I'm curious because i only have 3 of 4 letters in. I asked the guy 3 months ago and it's still not in, so now I had to just ask for a backup person today - chairman of medicine, much better letter than the other guy, but now it's late.

Do you guys think this will affect my chances a lot if my 4th letter doesn't get uploaded til late december???

Tarcevarash, I think most programs only require three letters, thus your application should be considered complete. I'm sure bulk of the interviews should come after the holiday season... i'm sure only a small minority of the programs send out their invites in december (in my experience last year, no one in my program received a december invite, but yet at the end received 20 interviews and many top places too). Since it seems like your 4th letter may be the least important, it should not be a big deal.

Was wondering if all of you who have invites already, do you have all of your letters in?

I'm curious because i only have 3 of 4 letters in. I asked the guy 3 months ago and it's still not in, so now I had to just ask for a backup person today - chairman of medicine, much better letter than the other guy, but now it's late.

Do you guys think this will affect my chances a lot if my 4th letter doesn't get uploaded til late december???

I feel better now. I guess we should just relax until after new years. Good luck to everybody. I'm glad the board is active now. Kinda exciting, no?

congrats on interview at Brown. i agree with Inthian that 12 more people could be waiting for invitation from Brown. but isnt it like the first set of people invited are highly likely to be ranked than the second set. is it true? may b someone can shed light on this.

Depends on the school. Not true for all though.

UAB, UCSD, U Miami, U Conn, U Florida, SUNY, U Minn, and UT San Antonnio.....these guys havent downloaded the application.....similar expereince for anyone....planning to call them so that they dont forget to download my application.....very strange...GL

I went to one of the medical schools u mentioned... in that school every year the candidates are taken in house, they do interview a few outside for show... and they downloaded my application in Jan last year...don't worry when they do download it's done in masses, not because they 'forgot to download it'.. not so sure if calling them will do anything~

UAB, UCSD, U Miami, U Conn, U Florida, SUNY, U Minn, and UT San Antonnio.....these guys havent downloaded the application.....similar expereince for anyone....planning to call them so that they dont forget to download my application.....very strange...GL

Yale has sent out its invitations, offering many days it seems like... GL everyone!

Is it Hematology or Oncology. They have separate tracks if I remember right. Goodluck in the future.
I did receive one.. pretty excited about it, hope its a sign of good things to come

I'm not sure how this works... last year i didnt get an invite from Yale.. I did call up the oncology department.. they said that hematology had already sent out their invites, and if I didnt get those, then that means I am rejected.. can anyone verify this, whether the Yale program is still divided like Johns Hopkins?

Is it Hematology or Oncology. They have separate tracks if I remember right. Goodluck in the future.

Hi German IMG

I am also interested in learning how you do it. secret will be safe with me.

Again congrats.:)

does anyone know why there are some programs that (per FREIDA) state first year spots =5, but second and thrid year spots each =2. what happens to the other 3 fellows between year 1 and year 2?!?!?!? i had thought maybe, those folks were doing research, but the total number still states 9!

thanks! 09 onc

Hey

I am new to the forum, and I just want to get idea how many interviews people have so far.
Thanks

Invite from U Colorado by phone.....2 dates, one in jan and second in feb....GL and Happy Holidays everyone....

invite from columbia today through email. how is their program?

did anyone interview at MCG

Invite from U Colorado by phone.....2 dates, one in jan and second in feb....GL and Happy Holidays everyone....

Congrats on the U of Colorado invite!

Am i supposed to walk around with my cell phone in my white coat?!?! Um, I guess they'd leave a message, right?!?!!?

:)

Got my first rejection from Fox chase by postal mail.

Boo hoo boo hoo boo hooooo

:smuggrin:

hope everyone had nice christmas!

Got an email (sent to group of 202) from Penn State thanking for applying. Nothing much from my side. How is the progress with others?

Happy Holidays

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Like everyone else received acknowledgement from Penn State and Emory....
Hopefully the season should become active starting january....GL guys...Happy New Year....

hope everyone had nice christmas!

Got an email (sent to group of 202) from Penn State thanking for applying. Nothing much from my side. How is the progress with others?

Happy Holidays

Look like people are getting great interviews... Columbia, as I have heard, is very competitive and research oriented.. congrats on the interview... and Inthian, see you are doing well... already two invites before the new year, no need to worry... =) Seem like Colorado/Jefferson/Northwestern/Fox chase had sent out replies, still waiting for a response.. zzz...

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Like everyone else received acknowledgement from Penn State and Emory....
Hopefully the season should become active starting january....GL guys...Happy New Year....

thanx ghettomd....u are doing well too....you have interviews from Yale, Brown and NW if I remember correct......Gl to you as well....

Look like people are getting great interviews... Columbia, as I have heard, is very competitive and research oriented.. congrats on the interview... and Inthian, see you are doing well... already two invites before the new year, no need to worry... =) Seem like Colorado/Jefferson/Northwestern/Fox chase had sent out replies, still waiting for a response.. zzz...

hey guys,

got an invite from BIDMC today via email :) whats the scoop on their program? i got the rejection from dana farber last week... how does BIDMC compare to the farber? is it analogous to mskcc (DF) and cornell (BID)?

I also got the invite from BIDMC yesterday..I think the program is top 10.
Good luck!

hey guys,

got an invite from BIDMC today via email :) whats the scoop on their program? i got the rejection from dana farber last week... how does BIDMC compare to the farber? is it analogous to mskcc (DF) and cornell (BID)?

congrats guys.... I'm freaking out already :scared: no replies yet, just some programs saying that they received my application info... anyone on the same boat here?

I am new to the forum. I am stressed by this process just like everyone else!
:confused:

So far, I got the beautiful rejection email from Dana and invites from NCI, Baylor Houston and Vanderbilt.

congrats OncDoc on the invites....when did u get the calls from NCI and Baylor? Thanks and GL.

I am new to the forum. I am stressed by this process just like everyone else!
:confused:

So far, I got the beautiful rejection email from Dana and invites from NCI, Baylor Houston and Vanderbilt.

0 Invites and 0 rejections.

I was also wondering how you apply to the NCI. It says online that the Bethesda program is not participating in ERAS? What gives? How have others gotten interviews there? How did you go about applying there?

Thanks.

I also got invitation today from NCI by mail. I applied through ERAS.

I was also wondering how you apply to the NCI. It says online that the Bethesda program is not participating in ERAS? What gives? How have others gotten interviews there? How did you go about applying there?

Thanks.

It does seem like places that emphasize research have thus far responded very early (NW, Yale, DF, NCI). Maybe in the future they can also consider moving up the match day so we don't have to wait all year...

Congrats to all with great invitations... also, people who havnt received invites thus far shouldn't worry too much... Jan/Feb is when most of these invites will come!!!

Thanks.