Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone been to the cleveland clinic for an interview?

i have not heard from stanford, ucsf, duke, uchicago, and upenn. do you know if these programs are all done with sending out interviews?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

no invites, no rejections..wondering if this is an end of invitations....
have a good weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
This was very relaxed. Mostly questions about career goals and previous work. Don't forget to reserve time for security check up. It only took me 5-10 extra minutes but, according to the PD, at least nothing gets stolen inside NIH.
I recommend the BonPain coffee inside buiding 10CRC.
I hope this helped. if you have specific questions, shoot...

have you received any feedback from the NIH program after interview?
thanks..

I wanted to add what what said about Tulane. I know friends out there. The major researchers have now left, and some more are leaving. The program is downsizing and i think will continue to downsize in staff

Anyone interview at Southwestern in Dallas yet? Just wondering what the interviews were like. My interview is coming up soon. Thanks.

Hey...
While still waiting for invites (I am sure that there are still some to come), I was thinking of inviting the group to share more info on how the interviews take place at various programs.
My only experience so far is NHLBI (see above).
For sure going to: Fred Hutch; Mayo, MN; DFCI and JHMI and I will be glad to share my experience there.
Cheers and high spirits...

thanks medman for the info on tulane. i'll probably still make the trip out there to see for myself, but thanks for the insight.

anyone received interviews from:

uchicago
cornell

thanx!

anyone received interviews from:

uchicago
cornell

thanx!

cornell hasnt sent invitations to outside people as per one of their residents who I met in an interview....

UChicago has issued some interviews to people that they know and internal ones.....a resident from buffalo got an interview there and he had worked in chicago for 2 years with one of the big guns.....but i dont think they have offered interviews to the general crowd.....

GL

Anyone had interview at Upitt? My Interview is coming up.

I have heard three people (two I met from interviews, one in my program) who received invitations from Cornell...

cornell hasnt sent invitations to outside people as per one of their residents who I met in an interview....

UChicago has issued some interviews to people that they know and internal ones.....a resident from buffalo got an interview there and he had worked in chicago for 2 years with one of the big guns.....but i dont think they have offered interviews to the general crowd.....

GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Have people heard that Hopkins has also sent out a lot of its invites, or just a select few?

3 interviews - u penn and FCCC among them. How does these programs compare to the top notch programs? Nice to see a heme/onc forum. thanks

I have only 6 interviews.

My first is coming up shortly.

Any advice or tips from someone would be most appreciated.

thanks

kevin, did you get any response from your thank you emails?

Starts ~ 8 am, ends ~2-3 pm. Very relaxed interviews with faculty from the Houston VA, the county hospital and the university hospital. No hard questions, they mainly asked questions about future career plans-academic basic science research, clinical outcomes research. Standard lunch with fellows (1st, 2nd and 3rd years). The program administrator drives you between the VA and the university hospital campus for interviews.

Anyone interview at Southwestern in Dallas yet? Just wondering what the interviews were like. My interview is coming up soon. Thanks.

The interview day is very laid back. Starts out with morning conference, then the PD gives a presentation followed by 3 interviews. Interviews are with the PD and two faculty with the questions being the standard stuff, "why hem/onc, research, future plans, etc." More like a conversation, than a grill session. After interviews, you go on a tour of the massive campus, then noon conference, then more touring. The faculty and fellows are all informative, professional, and encouraging. Hope this helps.

I thought that they had sent out their first round already, supposedly some of their spots are going to be filled internally this year, but this may be just rumors.
Have people heard that Hopkins has also sent out a lot of its invites, or just a select few?

I don't know much about the reputations for comparison, but my impression was that U Penn has more basic science opportunties and FCCC has more clinical opportunities with more outpatient experience.
3 interviews - u penn and FCCC among them. How does these programs compare to the top notch programs? Nice to see a heme/onc forum. thanks

Univ of Mass via eras e-mail

GL everyone!

by email. Interviewing from March 18... every tue-wed and friday. Season ends april end.

rejection from UMass..only 2 positions this year.

completed 4 interviews.....all were very relaxed and comfortable. No odd questions. Heading to Fred Hutch this friday. Anyone on for Friday 22 in Seattle? GL everyone.

by email....interviewing on Feb 26 and Mar 26.....GL

by email. Interviewing from March 18... every tue-wed and friday. Season ends april end.

rejection from UMass..only 2 positions this year.

completed 4 interviews.....all were very relaxed and comfortable. No odd questions. Heading to Fred Hutch this friday. Anyone on for Friday 22 in Seattle? GL everyone.
Hey Inthian,
GL in Seattle. Let us know how things go there. Fred Hutch is in mid-March for me.
Again, GL...

Georgetown invite. three dates in march and april

Chaotic day, a lot of down time between interviews. PD-nice guy.
Onc is great, Heme:thumbdown:, especially benign heme is non existant. Ample research time/opportunity.

The interview day is very laid back. Starts out with morning conference, then the PD gives a presentation followed by 3 interviews. Interviews are with the PD and two faculty with the questions being the standard stuff, "why hem/onc, research, future plans, etc." More like a conversation, than a grill session. After interviews, you go on a tour of the massive campus, then noon conference, then more touring. The faculty and fellows are all informative, professional, and encouraging. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much Cthomps6. Appreciate your insight.

received interview from hopkins today by email - multiple dates in March and April

Interviews so far:
1. Thomas Jeff
2. SLU
3. UT Southwestern
4. TUFTS
5. UAB
Still counting..... Interviewed @ TUFTS - anybody? - kindly share your experience. Thanks. Gud Luk!

any info on tulane university, new orleans? nayan

Hey forum,
Here is my dilema: I've got invites from the same institution on both Onc and heme (two separate programs). How much would it hurt to tell them about the other invite and try to organize everything in one trip? Both PDs say that the programs will unify this coming year.
Thank you for your advice!

by email....flexible dates....

GL.

I have asked for interviews back to back from different institutions (but in the same geographical area) and nobody seemed to mind. For the NIH interviews which have separate oncology and hematology programs, I remember people interviewing for both on the same day.

Hey forum,
Here is my dilema: I've got invites from the same institution on both Onc and heme (two separate programs). How much would it hurt to tell them about the other invite and try to organize everything in one trip? Both PDs say that the programs will unify this coming year.
Thank you for your advice!

I remember last year on the forum there was a FMG applicant who got one interview and matched there... so it's definitely do-able!! and we are barely mid-way into the interview season, a lot of these top candidates will decide to cancel some interviews so there will be spots opening up I believe... From what I have seen, people who does well belong to the following category:
1. AMG in upper tier academic programs(+/- research)
2. FMG with PhD
3. AMG in average residency but with some research and strong letters
4. FMG with chief experience/95 percentile scores/good research

if one does not belong to one of the above category, they can still get interviews, but obviously wont do as well... just my two cents!

How do USIMGs/caribbean grads do in the Heme/Onc fellowship match process?

I have asked for interviews back to back from different institutions (but in the same geographical area) and nobody seemed to mind. For the NIH interviews which have separate oncology and hematology programs, I remember people interviewing for both on the same day.
Thankx for advice Kevin...

I'm not sure how competitive an US IMG is compared to others. The good thing is that they definitely do not have visa issues, which a lot of times kill an otherwise wonderful candidate... again I'm trying to get into a program myself so I'm definitely not an expert on this, maybe US IMGs on this board can post and help answer your question...

How do USIMGs/caribbean grads do in the Heme/Onc fellowship match process?

I spoke to someone (nice person) at Drexel (MCP/Hahnemann Program) today. she said that they sent out 26 interviews (via e-mail) about 2 weeks ago. they will likley send out 10 more interviews soon for a total of 36.

has anyone else called or e-mailed any programs?

New to the forum here are my interviews and I hope this information helps others.
Jan-U. Colorado, MDACC, Baylor, FHCRC/U Washington, Duke, NIH, UNC, Washington University, UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, UCLA

Feb-MSKCC, Johns Hopkins

All through email except for U. Colorado (phone call) and NIH (Fed-Ex envelope)

Waiting to hear from: JHU

Jan-U. Colorado, MDACC, Baylor, FHCRC/U Washington, Duke, NIH, UNC, Washington University, UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, UCLA

Feb-MSKCC, Johns Hopkins

Finally heard from everyone so now comes the tricky task of scheduling interviews in March/April. 1 or 2 more flights and I will get a free one from Southwest. I wish I could trade in all my drink coupons for a flight.

hey, what are y'all doing for thank you notes (emails/written letters or cards?) and to all interviewers/just PDs? for med school and residency i think most people sent hand written letters or cards since there were so many of us, but in this stage of the game, will an email suffice (and just to the PD)? or are you not even writing thank you notes for fellowship interviewers? thx for your help!

hey, what are y'all doing for thank you notes (emails/written letters or cards?) and to all interviewers/just PDs? for med school and residency i think most people sent hand written letters or cards since there were so many of us, but in this stage of the game, will an email suffice (and just to the PD)? or are you not even writing thank you notes for fellowship interviewers? thx for your help!

i am sending emails only to PD. It seems to take too much time to send messages to each of the interviewers (like 6-8 in each school). But for programs that you are very keen, I would send email to all the interviewers....GL

I have been just sending emails to the PD. Some of my interviews have had between 4-6 faculty members so I didn't have an opportunity to send individual thank you notes to everyone.

do you guys feel that most of the interviews are out?

anyone still waiting on any?

I've got an e-mail from Univ. of Minnesota to update them on my visa status. They are still considering my application... I don't know what it means but maybe more interviews:confused:?

I had my first interview: NHLBI. This was an amazing day. Peolpe are very friendly and accomodating. The day ran smoothly. I love Bethesda.
Came home to find an envelope from JHMI. 3 dates offered, but they are flexible.
Just out of curiosity for Hopkins they sent most people an email (for oncology) and offered multiple dates: Monday – March 17 – Morning, Friday – March 28 – Afternoon (Lab/Research Oriented), Monday – March 31 – Morning, Friday - April 4 – Afternoon,Friday – April 18 – Afternoon,Monday – April 21 – Morning (Lab/Research Oriented),Monday – April 28 - Morning

Why did they only offer some people 3 dates (or are those interviews for those only doing heme only)?

Just out of curiosity for Hopkins they sent most people an email (for oncology) and offered multiple dates: Monday – March 17 – Morning, Friday – March 28 – Afternoon (Lab/Research Oriented), Monday – March 31 – Morning, Friday - April 4 – Afternoon,Friday – April 18 – Afternoon,Monday – April 21 – Morning (Lab/Research Oriented),Monday – April 28 - Morning

Why did they only offer some people 3 dates (or are those interviews for those only doing heme only)?
I've got both mail/e-mail from both programs. Heme 3 dates, Onc same list.

Anyone gotten news/ evites from Scripps, USC, Davis, New Mexico? Uchicago wrote me that they are still reviewing applcations. Some of those damn programs don't even bother to answer mails.

honestly, I have not heard from about 20 programs. many of them seem to have sent out both invitations and rejections, yet i have received neither. :scared: Of the 20 programs, I've listed the ones below that seem not to have been mentioned here. please let me know if you have heard from any of these places! still not sure, should i contact them??!?! (should i contact the other programs that have sent out interviews/rejections?!?!) e-mail or call?

Univ Connecticut
George Washington Univ (someone may have had an interview- i don't remember!)
georgetown (there are 2 programs- not sure if both are interviewing)
univ of illinois
boston univ
Michigan State
Univ of Michigan
Wayne State Univ
Dartmouth
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson, New Brunswick
Virgnia Commonwealth

:scared: 09 onc