Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
by phone......interviewing mostly in march and april....all on thursdays....GL

Score: 10 invites, 4 rejects....

Members don't see this ad.

via ERAS/email. Mondays in Feb/March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Monte has started sending out interviews, dates in march and april. Some of the programs have sent out invites but no rejects, looks like there is also a B-List or just the classic let them suffer, no info at all.

Thomas Jeff and St Louis Univ. Gud luk everyone including me!!:)

Question for you guys... How many interviews do you think you guys will want to attend? I mean, over the course of three months, on top of calls and unit months, it's just tough to travel (take two days off, getting to the location and stay at a hotel, then interview the next day)...what do you guys think?

by email......GL

Score:
Invites 12
Rejects 4

also got invites from tufts via snail mail and albert einstein- MF via email.

not sure if ill go to these interviews... it is too tough to interview while being a resident. but, what do you guys know of these programs?

Question for you guys... How many interviews do you think you guys will want to attend? I mean, over the course of three months, on top of calls and unit months, it's just tough to travel (take two days off, getting to the location and stay at a hotel, then interview the next day)...what do you guys think?

Last year I got 9 interviews (of 10 apps) and ended up going on only 7 of them (and I wish I'd only gone on 6). One of them was my home program, 2 of them were overnights (usually a Sun/Mon or Fri/Sat) and 4 of them were a whirlwind week. It's pretty much too late for this for you but I asked to have an ambulatory month in Feb/Mar which allowed me to do all my interviews but 1 on that rotation. It was a lot harder than residency interviews though, that's for sure.

To ghettomd's question--I agree, this interview scheduling is going to be tough. Luckily I have an elective month in March, so I'm trying to schedule the majority then. Still not easy though, or inexpensive! So far I have 11 interviews, planning to go to 10 of them, and still waiting on 8 more programs. I have a feeling I'll be thinking harder before accepting more, if there are any more to accept...but some I'm still waiting for are programs I'm interested in! We'll see, I guess.
Just got back from ASCO GI yesterday...a nice conference, met some great people, and the conference itself was very inspiring. Gives me hope why I'm actually doing all of this! Now it's back to the real world, on call today overnight. It's quiet so far, but let's see if it lasts. :)
Good luck!

Luckily, I do have two week vacation in late march for me to go to away for interviews, but thus far I have already scheduled most of my interviews Jan to early march... just looking at scheduling, I find it hard to go to more than 12-15 interviews at best...

Last year I got 9 interviews (of 10 apps) and ended up going on only 7 of them (and I wish I'd only gone on 6). One of them was my home program, 2 of them were overnights (usually a Sun/Mon or Fri/Sat) and 4 of them were a whirlwind week. It's pretty much too late for this for you but I asked to have an ambulatory month in Feb/Mar which allowed me to do all my interviews but 1 on that rotation. It was a lot harder than residency interviews though, that's for sure.

Luckily, I do have two week vacation in late march for me to go to away for interviews, but thus far I have already scheduled most of my interviews Jan to early march... just looking at scheduling, I find it hard to go to more than 12-15 interviews at best... gutonc, have you heard of candidates going to more interview than that last year?

Most folks I met on the trail last year were going to 5-10. I'm sure there were plenty of people going on more but I didn't meet them. As a resident, it's just too hard to do. I would venture to guess that the people who go on more interviews are folks who are applying a 2nd time and are no longer in residency but I could be wrong.

I haven't checked out the "Charting Outcomes of the Match" to see how many programs one needs to rank to have a reasonably high chance of matching, but I would venture to guess that it's something in the 10-ish range.

i've been trolling for awhile so figured i should actually contribute!

interviews (in order received - all by email)
northwestern
penn
georgetown
ucsf
unc
pitt

no rejections yet.
good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Northshore.... invite by e-mail via Eras. random dates available March 3-31.
incredibly excited, but still need a few more....:oops:

Ditto for Northshore... did not hear from NYU or Einstein... hopefully will eventually get an invitefrom them...! Prepping for my second interview... hope everyone is enjoying their interview experience!

Northshore.... invite by e-mail via Eras. random dates available March 3-31.
incredibly excited, but still need a few more....:oops:

Are any FMGs getting any invites??

I have only 1

Hope this year is not too awful for us.

by email...interviewing in march and april....GL

score: 13 invites
rejects: 4

by email...dates to be informed later in an email...GL

Are any FMGs getting any invites??

I have only 1

Hope this year is not too awful for us.

I am a FMG from a community hospital, currently in a Palliative medicine fellowship at a University Program and I still don't have any!!:thumbdown:
Still Waiting............

I remember last year on the forum there was a FMG applicant who got one interview and matched there... so it's definitely do-able!! and we are barely mid-way into the interview season, a lot of these top candidates will decide to cancel some interviews so there will be spots opening up I believe... From what I have seen, people who does well belong to the following category:
1. AMG in upper tier academic programs(+/- research)
2. FMG with PhD
3. AMG in average residency but with some research and strong letters
4. FMG with chief experience/95 percentile scores/good research

if one does not belong to one of the above category, they can still get interviews, but obviously wont do as well... just my two cents!

I am a FMG from a community hospital, currently in a Palliative medicine fellowship at a University Program and I still don't have any!!:thumbdown:
Still Waiting............

UCLA by email...can anyone comment on how it compares nationally and to other Cali programs like UCSF or Standford?

FMG, This is the third cycle I am applying, community program, doing online masters in clinical invest, strongly considering a post doc for 1 yr, anyone think that will change , my chances next time.. pretty depressing 1:119, tufts by snail mail

cleveland clinic invite today by email....

UCLA by email...can anyone comment on how it compares nationally and to other Cali programs like UCSF or Standford?

Clinically? Between them.
Research? Below them.

Having said that...it's still a pretty good place if you can stomach LA for more than 45 minutes.

first 2 invites- Tufts by snail mail and UCLA by e-mail. UCLA mentioned it's STAR program. Anyone?

by email...interviewing in feb and march.....GL

I am an FMG, no significant research background

I have gotten

4 interviews not including my home program (they havent sent out invites yet)
9 rejections mostly from top tier programs

I hope there are more interviews to come

I have heard interviews are really important make or break even if you get a lot of interviews dont do them well you cannot match, i heard 1 guy didnt match after going to 10 interviews whereas another guy matched after going to just 2.

Any resources on how to prepare for interviews??? any advice would be most appreciated

Do you mind sharing were are your interviews? Regards

Emory invite yesterday...interview date was scheduled (next week!!) for me. Won't be able to make it as I have another interview that day. Also a bit concerned about Grady's financial status/possible accreditation problems in the future as per the recent NY Times article (despite the disclaimer sent in the interview email).

Question to everyone- specifically to the folks with >8 interviews- did you apply to any programs in the detroit area or chicago (other than northwestern)?

I'm trying to figure out if the reason that I have heard nothing from the detroit/chicago places is due to our small (but mighty) sample size and no one from the group had applied to those places other than me or if the places seriously have not sent out interviews yet...

Thank you!

I applied to all the programs in Chicago, but haven't heard from any except NW.

Question to everyone- specifically to the folks with >8 interviews- did you apply to any programs in the detroit area or chicago (other than northwestern)?

I'm trying to figure out if the reason that I have heard nothing from the detroit/chicago places is due to our small (but mighty) sample size and no one from the group had applied to those places other than me or if the places seriously have not sent out interviews yet...

Thank you!

To 09onc...the only other one in that area I applied to was the University of Chicago. Still haven't heard anything from them. Good luck.

by email....2 dates in march and one in april....may not go due to scheduling conflicts....GL

also rejection from Brown....it was a mass email I think...

By mail... I've received a rejection from NW and no news from other chicago programs... rejection from UCLA today via ERAS

got the rejection from ucla... didnt see that coming. how does ucsf measure up to ucla because i got the interview from san fran but not la...

also no word from other chi-town programs except for nw. fyi rush i hear only takes 2 of which one is usually an internal resident. u of c is very research oriented. most people from nw go into private practice

anyone heard from mskcc or cornell??

as far as the actual interview...is there alot of pimping? im way more freaked about fellowship interviews than i ever was about residency interviews.

got the rejection from ucla... didnt see that coming. how does ucsf measure up to ucla because i got the interview from san fran but not la...

That makes less than no sense. UCSF is miles ahead of UCLA.

also no word from other chi-town programs except for nw. fyi rush i hear only takes 2 of which one is usually an internal resident. u of c is very research oriented. most people from nw go into private practice

When I interviewed last year, the most recent class and outgoing 3rd years were about 50/50 academic/private. The programs I interviewed with were all pretty much the same. U of C is more academic but NW has the cancer center. No idea about Rush or other Chicago places.

as far as the actual interview...is there alot of pimping? im way more freaked about fellowship interviews than i ever was about residency interviews.

It was a far more relaxed interview for me overall than residency was. There was a lot more interest in my thesis research but I also had way more interviews where people just stood there and told me about their research. The only actual Onc pimping that happened was at my home program and it was done in a joking way by people who knew me well and knew my interests (I got a lot of pimp questions about benign heme by people who knew my interest is in GI onc). If you express a particular area of interest, be prepared to talk about something going on in the field recently.

from MD anderson...well, what can you do...

i've been reading this forum for a while. thought i'd finally post.

interviews from: NHLBI, NCI, UF-Gainesville, Ohio State, UF-Jacksonville

good luck everyone!

Hi I'm a new addition to the forum. All of you seem very helpful! I just received an interview at Baylor and was wondering what interviews are like in general? Is it similar to residency interviews or is there a lot of question about heme/onc? If anyone has some experience interviewing in the heme/onc world please share. Thanks a lot!

Hey, Any idea how good this program is? 2 yr onc program.

MSKCC this morning by email.

Invitation via ERAS... 7 days March to April... finished my second interview so far... this is a real long process!

I have seen all 3 of the programs you mentioned: Stanford, UCLA and UCSF
All of them are fantastic. The caveat is that there are, in my opinion, biases in them. UCSF is very basic science oriented (and their basic science is strong in many departments). They work you in the first year, and overall this is a program for people who are going to go into academia/biotech.

Stanford is for people who are mostly interested in heme and lymphoma. They also have strong basic science and are very research oriented.

UCLA probably has the best balance of all 3 and has stronger solid tumor programs than the other 2 - with strong breast, GU, and brain cancer programs. And UCLA is by no means lacking in top notch labs.

I think you would set yourself up for a good career by going to any of these programs.

Clinically? Between them.
Research? Below them.

Having said that...it's still a pretty good place if you can stomach LA for more than 45 minutes.

Hi I'm a new addition to the forum. All of you seem very helpful! I just received an interview at Baylor and was wondering what interviews are like in general? Is it similar to residency interviews or is there a lot of question about heme/onc? If anyone has some experience interviewing in the heme/onc world please share. Thanks a lot!

In my experience programs just want to get to know a candidate in person... I have not encountered anyone 'pimping' on heme/onc... of course I don't know about Baylor specifically...

How many times are you going to ask a question that has already been answered (in the past week) in this forum? For instance, 3 posts above your first instance of this question, I answered the exact same question for someone else.

The search function, or maybe just reading the thread, is your friend.