Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread Part 2 - 2007-2008 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone hear from NYU, Cornell or UMDNJ (robertwood johnson New Brunswick).....Gl

Members don't see this ad.

I got an invite from NYU on Friday, by e-mail.
I also got interviews from Vanderbilt and U Wisconsin this week.
Has anybody heard from J Hopkins?

I got an invite from NYU on Friday, by e-mail.
I also got interviews from Vanderbilt and U Wisconsin this week.
Has anybody heard from J Hopkins?
thanks for the reply.....Gl and congrats on the call..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thank you for the informative posts. It has been of tremendous help going through this long nerve-wracking process.
For those of you who have got UPenn interview invites, how long did it take the program coordinator to get back to you with the confirmed date? I sent in my preferences about 10 days ago, and have not heard from her yet. I tried to call her multiple times and always got an answering machine. :confused: Not knowing the date I will be interviewing at UPenn makes it hard for me to schedule other interviews. :( Could you please share your experience? Did you e-mail her or call her to get a response and how long did it take her to respond?

Thanks a bunch. :)

hey oncdoc - i see youre the only one that has posted recieving an interview from mskcc. anyone else out there gotten an interview from them yet? are you by chance an md/phd or a superstar in other ways?

i am still waiting very anxiously... as it will likely be my first choice. :(

would appreciate if anyone else who has recieved the msk interview could post here!

Hi, thank you for the informative posts. It has been of tremendous help going through this long nerve-wracking process.
For those of you who have got UPenn interview invites, how long did it take the program coordinator to get back to you with the confirmed date? I sent in my preferences about 10 days ago, and have not heard from her yet. I tried to call her multiple times and always got an answering machine. :confused: Not knowing the date I will be interviewing at UPenn makes it hard for me to schedule other interviews. :( Could you please share your experience? Did you e-mail her or call her to get a response and how long did it take her to respond?

Thanks a bunch. :)

I accepted the UPenn interview by email on Jan 15 and got an email confirmation the next day. Hope that helps.

university of wisconsin madison. one date april 23.

I accepted the UPenn interview by email on Jan 15 and got an email confirmation the next day. Hope that helps.

Hi, rhoboat,
Thanks a lot for the response. It certainly helps. I finally got the confirmed interview date. Unfortunately my top 1 choice is already gone. I have to squeeze the interview between two long working days. Sigh. Scheduling interviews to fit in the R2 schedule is becoming harder and harder.

GL

NYU via email today.

Anybody tried calling MSKCC?

This might be a dumb question but I find it harder than writing thank you letters for residency interviews.

How do you guys express your interest in the program after interview?

Any input is appreciated.

WS has sent out invites... anxiously waiting for NYU and AE

verbal rejection from MSKCC after calling them up
:(
my application was complete past deadline and I am on visa too.
i think I am the only one in my residency program who didn't get an interview from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those without green card: Have you been invited for many interviews? They always said that my credentials are very good, but I haven't got as many interviews. Not sure, if they even review the application of candidates who are on a visa? I am curious about the experience of other candidates in similar situation?

just got rejected by Columbia too.
Visa does matter but there is a hope.

one rejection form UNC Chapel Hill and invite from UC Irvine ...any info about this program? thanks

probably visa issues too....GL everyone.....

got an invite from Duke by email yesterday

invite from rush via phone last week. only 3 dates 4/14-4/16.

1. Thomas Jeff
2. St Louis Univ
3. Tufts
Is it too late to get more interviews? Gud Luk to folks who are still playing the waiting game!

just got rejected by Wash. university, MO

I think the first round of invites, depending on different programs, can go all the way into end of Febraury (including Dartmouth, sending out a message that they will start reviewing in mid-Feb).. maybe there are still some calls the next 3 weeks... second round of invites are around march to early april (last year I had a call in april)... so hang in there!! hopefully more invites to come for everyone!

1. Thomas Jeff
2. St Louis Univ
3. Tufts
Is it too late to get more interviews? Gud Luk to folks who are still playing the waiting game!

Rejection... not unexpected...

did anyone hear from NYU, Cornell or UMDNJ (robertwood johnson New Brunswick).....Gl

rejection from Robert Wood Johnson- Camden. via e-mail. honestly, kind of okay with this one.

GL everyone!

invite from msk via email today. they have at least 12 dates to interview. they asked us to email a copy of our publications....which makes me nervous since i have no "real" publications yet, just some "in the works".

still no word from cornell...

Got MSKCC today too...
Just finished up the first two interviews this week. They were much more relaxed than I expected, and it's easy to tell what the program is like, how you would fit in, etc., from the visit, which I'm glad about. Lots of time for questions about the program for the interviewers; in fact during a couple of interviews I think I asked more questions than they asked me! Overall a good experience...

Invite from University of Iowa...interviews on April 4 and March 7...

Rejection from Univ of South Florida......

No word from MSKCC....assuming it is a rejection...

these are interviews I got:
Emory
Duke
MSK
Beth-Israel
WashU
Vanderbilt
Mayo
MD Anderson
Baylor@Houston
Baylor@Dallas
Yale
UTSW

And these are the ones I have decided to go for an interview:
MSK
BI
WU
Vander
MD Anderson
Baylor at Houston and Dallas
UTSW
mayo

My question is: how is MD Anderson measuring up against places like WU, MSK, and mayo? I am thinking about some research in my future practice, but not a lab based one, rather just clinical research. MSK is the only one that provides detailed courses in clinical research training (clinical trials), even though on their website, this seems to mean an extra year of course work.

Any input will be welcome as to the strength and weakness of these 3-4 programs.

New to the forum here are my interviews and I hope this information helps others.
Jan-U. Colorado, MDACC, Baylor, FHCRC/U Washington, Duke, NIH, UNC, Washington University, UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, UCLA

Feb-MSKCC

All through email except for U. Colorado (phone call) and NIH (Fed-Ex envelope)

Waiting to hear from: JHU

hey this may be a silly question since this we've been through many rounds of interviews to be where we're at, but what are some of the questions that interviewers have been asking?

any of the random questions we got asked for res interviews? such as: describe a case in which you learned something valuable; if you could be a cell in the body, which one would you be; tell me about a mistake you've made; what are your weaknesses; etc.

or are we beyond all that crap, and can talk about the program...describe our research, etc?

thanks!

New to the forum here are my interviews and I hope this information helps others.
Jan-U. Colorado, MDACC, Baylor, FHCRC/U Washington, Duke, NIH, UNC, Washington University, UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, UCLA

Feb-MSKCC

All through email except for U. Colorado (phone call) and NIH (Fed-Ex envelope)

Waiting to hear from: JHU

Kevin,

Baylor Dallas or Houston?

Interviews so far: Colorado, WashU, Baylor Dallas, UTSW, Oklahoma, UMKC

Hope this helps.

Univ of Iowa
Univ of Texas San Antonnio
Univ of Oklahoma....

GL.

Most of my interviews have been recruiting interviews. The faculty spend most of the interview on why people want to come to their program. The rest of the time is devoted to research interests I had listed in my personal statement and discussing potential research projects and mentors. I have not had any odd questions yet.
hey this may be a silly question since this we've been through many rounds of interviews to be where we're at, but what are some of the questions that interviewers have been asking?

any of the random questions we got asked for res interviews? such as: describe a case in which you learned something valuable; if you could be a cell in the body, which one would you be; tell me about a mistake you've made; what are your weaknesses; etc.

or are we beyond all that crap, and can talk about the program...describe our research, etc?

thanks!

I had my first interview: NHLBI. This was an amazing day. Peolpe are very friendly and accomodating. The day ran smoothly. I love Bethesda.
Came home to find an envelope from JHMI. 3 dates offered, but they are flexible.

tulane 1 date 3/14

Does anybody know anything about the program?

Interviews from:
1. Thomas Jefferson
2. St Louis Univ
3. Tufts
4. UT Southwestern (late arrival, may have come up from second round of invites after cancellations)

Still hoping for some more!

1st interview done:
>Program director explained the structure of the program, rotations etc
>Chairman of dept tried to sell the program by focussing on the future of the department and the directions it is headed to.....
>Other faculty were interested to know if I was interested in academics. If yes clinical or basic science. What are future plans/ideal job etc.

>>Try to get the inside story from the current fellows during lunch meetings etc.

Hope all this helps to people on the interview circuit. Gud luk.

Have a friend who is doing Med-Onc in Oschner. This is what I heard from him. Faculty of Tulane for the most part have exited after the Hurricane disaster. The Bone Marrow Transplant program was non-existent till Sep 2007. I don't know the latest. Don't want to discourage but this is what I heard. Hope that helps.

any interviews from John Hopkins ?

Kevin, could you tell me a little about the Baylor interview? I have an interview in March.

congrats on JHU and rock on....GL

I had my first interview: NHLBI. This was an amazing day. Peolpe are very friendly and accomodating. The day ran smoothly. I love Bethesda.
Came home to find an envelope from JHMI. 3 dates offered, but they are flexible.

anyone heard from univ of chicago?

invite for one day 3/28.

If you look at frieda, tulane had only 2 interviews last year for the 2 positions (may be Katrina effect)

Hi 09Onc, Do you feel Robertwood Johnson at Camden is not a good program?

Hi 09Onc, Do you feel Robertwood Johnson at Camden is not a good program?

dear hemonc09,
honestly, i know very little about the program. i selected it because of its vicinity to Philadelphia (just across the bridge). the neighborhood of the hospital is very sketchy. I think that it's high on the list of murder capitals of the US. I grew up in an inner city, so would have been fine with the program(and let's admit it- just excited for another interview!!!), but it's not my ideal match. I think that's probably why my response. please don't discount the program because of my comment- it really was only a location deal, not anything about the program!

:)09 onc

Kevin, could you tell me a little about the Baylor interview? I have an interview in March.
Starts ~ 8 am, ends ~2-3 pm. Very relaxed interviews with faculty from the Houston VA, the county hospital and the university hospital. No hard questions, they mainly asked questions about future career plans-academic basic science research, clinical outcomes research. Standard lunch with fellows (1st, 2nd and 3rd years). The program administrator drives you between the VA and the university hospital campus for interviews.

by ERAS... Dates in March and April

hey baron77, could you tell me how the NHLBI interview went? thanks!

hey baron77, could you tell me how the NHLBI interview went? thanks!
This was very relaxed. Mostly questions about career goals and previous work. Don't forget to reserve time for security check up. It only took me 5-10 extra minutes but, according to the PD, at least nothing gets stolen inside NIH.
I recommend the BonPain coffee inside buiding 10CRC.
I hope this helped. if you have specific questions, shoot...