Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for all you folks applying to heme/onc fellowship programs. Feel free to discuss. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone out there applied to UCLA-Harbor. I was presuming they're in ERAS as it was an option to transmit your app to them, but they haven't downloaded my app yet and on FREIDA it says they're not part of ERAS, but I remember on NRMP or somewhere it said they were. I was just confused. Oh, are all the UCLA affiliates like UCLA-SFV, UCLA-Harbor considered similar in competitiveness under UCLA as one division or ?

Sorry guy, I did not apply there. I think info in freida sometimes is not updated.

Some programs that I applied to have not d/l my application yet, eg. boston u, mayo, ucsf, nyu, u penn.

Did u apply to u mass, OSU and u of virgenia. They d/l my application on 11/16!!! How is it possible? Is something wrong with the eras system? I'm just afraid that they have not got my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
HemonC said:
Sorry guy, I did not apply there. I think info in freida sometimes is not updated.

Some programs that I applied to have not d/l my application yet, eg. boston u, mayo, ucsf, nyu, u penn.

Did u apply to u mass, OSU and u of virgenia. They d/l my application on 11/16!!! How is it possible? Is something wrong with the eras system? I'm just afraid that they have not got my application.

to add to programs that haven't started downloading....U Wash, U Chicago, Cornell, Thomas Jefferson...so there are some..others have downloaded everything but my LOR...I really don't expect anything before mid december..

germanIMG said:
to add to programs that haven't started downloading....U Wash, U Chicago, Cornell, Thomas Jefferson...so there are some..others have downloaded everything but my LOR...I really don't expect anything before mid december..

OHSU downloaded mine 12/1. UCSF, Scripps, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-SFV, UWash, BID haven't downloaded mine.

u penn, u wash, Thomas Jefferson and AECM just downloaded my application today.

still waiting for boston u, mayo, ucsf, nyu and cornell.

HDMTX said:
OHSU downloaded mine 12/1. UCSF, Scripps, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-SFV, UWash, BID haven't downloaded mine.

Fred Hutch., Scripps, BID downloaded. Waiting on UCSF, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-SFV still.

Emory, U chicago, Rush, U of Alabama....the list continues

any ideas on georgetown, lombardi cancer center...
just got the first invite, with interview dates between now and 1st week of february..
somehow I thought the interview season would start much later

Not really familiar with it, but I know you can do 2-yr tracks in heme or med onc aside from the traditional 3-yr combined track. Still waiting on UCSF, UCLA-SFV to download.

UCSF, NYU, U CHICAGO, MAyo and Cornell haven't downloaded yet...am also waiting for 2 of my LOR to be uploaded as well, which may be the reason some of the programs haven't uploaded the application as it is incomplete...
as i only recently found out, interview season varies significantly for the different programs, between January and some only starting in april until end of may..
anyone else heard of any of the programs they applied to?

germanIMG said:
UCSF, NYU, U CHICAGO, MAyo and Cornell haven't downloaded yet...am also waiting for 2 of my LOR to be uploaded as well, which may be the reason some of the programs haven't uploaded the application as it is incomplete...
as i only recently found out, interview season varies significantly for the different programs, between January and some only starting in april until end of may..
anyone else heard of any of the programs they applied to?

By FREIDA I think most of my programs interview Dec - March.. but yep, some later.

UCLA-SFV is the only program that hasn't downloaded for me still... hrmm... I did get an email from Fred Hutchinson today... apparently they're interviewing through March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi HDMTX,

Did you apply to UCLA-Harblor? they have not d/l my app yet...Also, any luck with interview calls??? GL.

chemo-man said:
Hi HDMTX,

Did you apply to UCLA-Harblor? they have not d/l my app yet...Also, any luck with interview calls??? GL.

pm sent

Hi all,
Has anybody received any interviews yet? and does anybody knows what's number of average interviews for hem/onc fellowship?
thanks!!
Good luck everybody!

Hi HDMTX,

Did you get invitation at Fred Hutchinson? I got rejection email from them due to my visa status. It is the only email that I have got since Dec 1. still waiting for responses from other programs.

Hello everyone,

I want to apologize to "hemonc" in advance for picking a name that is so similar. That being said, I am also applying to hemeonc programs this year. According to the ERAS guidelines, the programs are not suppose to download the pictures unless they have offered interviews. Does this only apply to residency programs or fellowship as well? (because most of the programs I've applied to have d/l'd my picture). Thanks in advance.

hemeonc said:
Hello everyone,

I want to apologize to "hemonc" in advance for picking a name that is so similar. That being said, I am also applying to hemeonc programs this year. According to the ERAS guidelines, the programs are not suppose to download the pictures unless they have offered interviews. Does this only apply to residency programs or fellowship as well? (because most of the programs I've applied to have d/l'd my picture). Thanks in advance.

Same here. I thing it applies to both residency and fellowship.

Got an invite to Yale this morning.

Beth Israel Deaconess by phone

Invite to University of Arizona and two rejections (Beth Israel Deaconess and Dana Farber)

germanIMG said:
Beth Israel Deaconess by phone

Congratulations! Did you get your all of your LOR's in before they extended the invitation for interview? I still have 2 letters that are not loaded in yet and so I'm getting a bit worried.

:confused:
hemeonc said:
Congratulations! Did you get your all of your LOR's in before they extended the invitation for interview? I still have 2 letters that are not loaded in yet and so I'm getting a bit worried.
hi everyone this forum is really useful to know aboutstatus of applications.I applied to Heme Onc all through U.S So far received 2 rejections from Dana Farber and UKMC.Are you guys trying to contact programs or not yet.I am really confused about what to do. All my LOR'S ARE ALREADY DOWNLOADED AND MY APPLICATION COMPLETE.PLASE SUGGEST IF IT'S GOOD TO START CALLING PROGRAMS.

re BIDMC....they uploaded my last 2 letters on monday morning...
re calling programs: I think the larger programs only started to look through the applications and will start inviting in the next 2 weeks. so I would hold it before becoming nervous.
However, if there are programs you are especially interested, it makes sense to email the PD to his OWN email (check contact info on publications ;-)) and indicate your interest...without asking about the status...just kinda "this is me and what i have done...and I like your program...and these are the poeple/reasons why"...I did that with some and got a nice response from each

UC Davis by email, I think a week ago, or earlier this week.

Finally a thread for hem/onc applicants.

I have applied to several programs out west (OHSU, Colorado, a few CA programs), many midwest, south (UVa, Emory, Vandy) and East (NYU, MSKCC, Columbia, VT, Dartmouth, Yale).

All programs have downloaded my app info except Emory as of 12/24/05.

Regarding the guy who heard from Yale, was that for heme or onc? It's separate there.

Also include me in the BWH rejection list.

Will post once I hear from places. My program director here states he will not be looking at onc applications till next week.
-S.

sanfilippo said:
Regarding the guy who heard from Yale, was that for heme or onc? It's separate there.

Hey S,

It was for med onc. Best of luck in the process! I'm sure most of us are getting anxious waiting to hear.

Voicemail from PD at OSU. Email invite from UMN.
-S.

Fox Chase rejection by the regular mail.

I still haven't heard from any one of my programs yet :( . Would any of you know any programs that require four letters of recs??

Applied to 30 programs, didnot hear from any, when is the best time to start calling programs.
Thanks

vrgk said:
Applied to 30 programs, didnot hear from any, when is the best time to start calling programs.
Thanks

hey vrgk,

trust me - i feel yr pain. however, my heme/onc program didn't even start looking at the applications yet. most of the responses are coming from very few programs, especially those that are not participating in ERAS. so sit tight and good luck!

I agree with the above. I think it is still too early to be hearing from most programs as the interview season for most programs extends into late March/early April given it's both ERAS- and NRMP-based. Neither the heme nor the onc program here has looked at applications yet.

Be patient....I'm trying hard and I truly empathize.
-S.

Add OHSU and Vandy to invite list.

Emory has yet to download.

-S.

First Rejection Beth Israel Deaconess by regular mail

Duke and Yale...both invites by email

Any one heard from NY, NJ, and PA programs ?

add BWH/Dana farber to invite list....

NY programs will invite by the end of this months as per Columbia dn MSKCC PDs

germanIMG said:
add BWH/Dana farber to invite list....

NY programs will invite by the end of this months as per Columbia dn MSKCC PDs

LoL, where AREN'T you going to get an invite from :)... congratz

it running pretty smoothly right now...did not expect that, as I am an IMG...
we shall see...good luck to you all

rejection from dana farber....

almost don't dare to post again...but for the purpose of letting those who wait anxiously know when programs start to send out invites...
Fox Chase today by email

Just curious...how have you heard from so many places already? Which residency program are you from? Advanced degrees? Congrats though...hope i have the same fortune soon!

Hi German IMG,

Congratulations for the interviews and I am sure you deserve all!!
I am also curious as to what your background is. Do you mind letting know...I'll keep it a closely guarded secret...
Thanks again, and good luck...

Chemo-man

invite from vermont, rejection from ucsf (both email).
7 responses, 17 left to go!
-S. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.