Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BMT said:
Call Stanford up if you have applied. I called them last evening and they informed me that I was NOT short listed!!!! Another one bites the dust!!!
:eek:

Were you placed on hold or rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

BMT, was that after they emailed you and invited you for an interview? :eek: I emailed them and asked for a date but they never confirmed it.
German, Stanford itself has a big name but thier Heme/Onc doesn't seem to be that big. according to the US News it ranks 17 or 18. SF and Stanford are very close. so, they are big rivals...

I am familiar with the US news ranking, just not sure how applicable it is to fellowships...as far as can tell there are the obvious 4 or 5 top places, albeit even there is some controversy as I learned during my first interview....and then there is a mass of about 10-15 programs that i personally have a hard time to differenciate
re chicago: I only applied to U chicago,....and for whatever it is worth, they never downloaded my LORs...no clue what that is about....anyway, decided to concentrate on the east coast, thus will cancel Stanford..am waiting for Columbia, JHU and NIH...and MD Anderson..albeit I heard some controversial things about the program
for those waiting: NYU has started to invite today

Members don't see this ad :)
No I never got any email. I just called up to find out what was taking them(Stanford) so long in making their decision..... They could not tell me at that time. But said they would inform me by the same day (1/25 evening). After an hour I got a Reject by Email. :mad:

German, I agree with you after 3-4 top ones the rest of 10-15 are pretty much the same and everything depends on who you do research with and who supports who when you are looking for an academic job. So, one should focus on where he/she likes during the interview. I personally prefer to stay in the west as my family is in the Calif. I am soooooo pissed I didn't get UCLA as it was my first choice. So, I will go to Stanford even though they are a little poor in terms of the type of research I like to do.
In terms of U of Chicago; I think something is wrong with them. They have not downloaded my LORs either. I interviewed there for internal medicine because I knew they had a good Heme/Onc. very nice hospital. I interviewed with their Heme/Onc people. they were nice too. may be they have residents who want to go to heme/onc and this is why they don't want outsiders.
Call/email MD Anderson. I did and they told me I was on the waiting list

Hi everybody,

People waiting on anderson, did you guys send a separate statement of research interest other than the personal statement etc etc...which they require as per their website !!

chemo-man said:
Hi everybody,

People waiting on anderson, did you guys send a separate statement of research interest other than the personal statement etc etc...which they require as per their website !!

I did not... only the PS... currently waitlisted.

seems complaining on this forum has an impact: U Chic indeed did download my application today!....
On MD Anderson: I had received an email some time in decemeber asking for a research summary and had send them one. Send an emai today inquiring about my status, did not yet receive an reply
On other note: JHU invite by email...I guess? kind a strange. title was potential invitation, then there is an attachment, which is an invitation with all the dates to choose from..weird

Hi, everyone. When do you guys think we should start e-mailing/calling programs about the status of our applications? I mainly applied to places in the northeast and california areas, and i'm still waiting to hear from many. :confused:

Got another interview. New York Medical College in Valhalla, NY by email.

Just wanted to clean things up a bit. According to what was posted thus far, here's what stands, feel free to edit as things unfold...

Wall of Fame – Interviews

• Georgetown – germanIMG
• Yale – HDMTX, germanIMG
• BID – germanIMG
• Arizona – ursus, HDMTX
• UCDavis – katano, sugarcane
• OSU – SanFilippo
• UMN – SanFilippo, hemeonc
• OHSU – SanFilippo
• Vanderbilt – SanFilippo
• Duke – germanIMG
• Dana Farber – germanIMG
• Fox Chase – germanIMG, husky
• Vermont – SanFilippo
• Roswell Park – ursus
• UWisconsin – SanFilippo
• Cornell – germanIMG
• Columbia - SanFilippo
• Tufts – sugarcane
• UPenn – germanIMG
• Stanford – germanIMG
• MSKCC – germanIMG
• UConn – husky
• ECU – flipper1
• MUSC – flipper1
• UTN-Memphis – flipper1
• UFlorida – flipper1
• UCLA – BMT, germanIMG
• Baylor – ursus
• Mayo – germanIMG
• Oklamhoma – BMT
• Stanford – me12345, germanIMG
• Colorado – SanFilippo
• NYU – germanIMG
• JHU – germanIMG
• NYMC - husky

Wall of Lame – Hold/Waitlist

• MDACC – HDMTX, me12345
• Fox Chase – hemeonc
• Alabama – ursus
• OHSU - HDMTX

Wall of Shame – Rejections

• Dana Farber – CTX, SanFilippo, HDMTX, hemeonc, BMT
• UKMC – CTX
• Fox Chase – ursus, BMT
• BID – vrgk, hemeonc
• UCSF – SanFilippo, BMT, hemeonc
• Loyola – ursus
• OHSU – ursus
• Montefiore – ursus
• Roswell Park – husky
• MDACC – ursus
• Maryland – img1
• UNC – BMT
• Indiana – vrgk, ursus, hemeonc
• Stanford - BMT

Hey I like your style HDMTX :) ; very true to your name! By the number of readers to our forum, there should be a lot more guys who are floating around and yet not members! We need to enlist more members to our group; 'out'standing members should not be welcome. Then your list will be more accurate and complete. :D

HDMTX said:
Just wanted to clean things up a bit. According to what was posted thus far, here's what stands, feel free to edit as things unfold...

Wall of Fame – Interviews

• Georgetown – germanIMG
• Yale – HDMTX, germanIMG
• BID – germanIMG
• Arizona – ursus, HDMTX
• UCDavis – katano, sugarcane
• OSU – SanFilippo
• UMN – SanFilippo, hemeonc
• OHSU – SanFilippo
• Vanderbilt – SanFilippo
• Duke – germanIMG
• Dana Farber – germanIMG
• Fox Chase – germanIMG, husky
• Vermont – SanFilippo
• Roswell Park – ursus
• UWisconsin – SanFilippo
• Cornell – germanIMG
• Columbia - SanFilippo
• Tufts – sugarcane
• UPenn – germanIMG
• Stanford – germanIMG
• MSKCC – germanIMG
• UConn – husky
• ECU – flipper1
• MUSC – flipper1
• UTN-Memphis – flipper1
• UFlorida – flipper1
• UCLA – BMT, germanIMG
• Baylor – ursus
• Mayo – germanIMG
• Oklamhoma – BMT
• Stanford – me12345, germanIMG
• Colorado – SanFilippo
• NYU – germanIMG
• JHU – germanIMG
• NYMC - husky

Wall of Lame – Hold/Waitlist

• MDACC – HDMTX, me12345
• Fox Chase – hemeonc
• Alabama – ursus
• OHSU - HDMTX

Wall of Shame – Rejections

• Dana Farber – CTX, SanFilippo, HDMTX, hemeonc, BMT
• UKMC – CTX
• Fox Chase – ursus, BMT
• BID – vrgk, hemeonc
• UCSF – SanFilippo, BMT, hemeonc
• Loyola – ursus
• OHSU – ursus
• Montefiore – ursus
• Roswell Park – husky
• MDACC – ursus
• Maryland – img1
• UNC – BMT
• Indiana – vrgk, ursus, hemeonc
• Stanford - BMT
• Northshore - BMT

Members don't see this ad :)
good job HDMTX ;)

NYU not me but a friend...I haven't heard from them;-)

Rejection today from George Washington in DC. :thumbdown:

rejection from Montefiore,GWU,Baylor

my first rejection :( (from gwu). interview from u of kentucky
they seem to be SLOWLY rolling in...
anyone heard from u of maryland or mayo in jacksonville?

Great news!! Got a call from FHCRC, Univ of Washington! Im thrilled, but its gonna be very competitive. Looking forward to hardcore research....Guess we have to first wait for the match. ;)
Called up Drexel. Was not in the first list of interviewees. Still on Hold! Also on Hold in Univ of California, Irvine. :) regards BMT

BMT said:
Great news!! Got a call from FHCRC, Univ of Washington! Im thrilled, but its gonna be very competitive. Looking forward to hardcore research....Guess we have to first wait for the match. ;)
Called up Drexel. Was not in the first list of interviewees. Still on Hold! Also on Hold in Univ of California, Irvine. :) regards BMT

Congratz.. hrm, interesting, hold at Irvine, interview at FHCRC/UCLA... did they phone u about the Irvine hold?

Add me to the Yale (Onc) rejection list...today by email.

Still awaiting (desperately, I might add) responses from:
Northwestern
Loyola
Wash U
Emory
Case
Michigan
Georgetown
Pitt
Dartmouth
NYU (Onc)
MSKCC

--S.

Thanks for compiling the list...great reference!

I have rejection from Northwestern. Interview from University of California- Irvine. Anybody esle heard from U Washington? I didn't get anything yet...

sanfilippo said:
Add me to the Yale (Onc) rejection list...today by email.

Still awaiting (desperately, I might add) responses from:
Northwestern
Loyola
Wash U
Emory
Case
Michigan
Georgetown
Pitt
Dartmouth
NYU (Onc)
MSKCC

--S.

Thanks for compiling the list...great reference!

SF, have u heard from MDACC?

HDMTX said:
Congratz.. hrm, interesting, hold at Irvine, interview at FHCRC/UCLA... did they phone u about the Irvine hold?

I called up UC Irvine just to find out status. The secretary said that that they have me ON HOLD and depending if anyone is cancelling... BMT

univ of minnesota, and cleveland clinic by email

UMich by phone...
also, had the strangest conversation with Columbia...not really friendly there..so I don't know what my status is, but apparently "they are highly selective"..which really made my day, and If I haven't heard from them by mail, then I won't at all..most likeley, as they are still reviewing, but she "really has no time to check my personal status"...they just massively got on my bad side...
sad, as I actually like NYC
anyway, just had to vent

MDACC is currently reviewing and will interview on week-ends from end february to may

German IMG: Have to thank my stars that I did not have to go thru your ordeal. Got a letter in the mail - A polite NO! 'At this time we are unable to extend an interview. Should your staus change we will contact you by email' Ha! they never will change that Status!!!!
Congrats Me12345 and Hemeonc. The momentum is picking up!!!!

Columbia rejection by regular mail :thumbdown: Sad!

I also got the rejection from Columbia thru snail mail :(
GermanIMG, you are doing great. I know the UMich program and it is awesome. The only problem is the weather and the small town that some people don't like. I personally love Ann Arbor. Did you also hear anything from U Washington? You are becoming the reference dude!

i troll so much, i felt obligated to update.
so far offered:
univ maryland
george washington
columbia
nih

rejected:
bid
dana farber

good luck all

So far only 1 interview: UCDMC and 2 rejects.
I was wondering if anyone heard from USC?

cancerdoc said:
So far only 1 interview: UCDMC and 2 rejects.
I was wondering if anyone heard from USC?

They're reviewing apps in depth currently this wk.

BMT said:
German IMG: Have to thank my stars that I did not have to go thru your ordeal. Got a letter in the mail - A polite NO! 'At this time we are unable to extend an interview. Should your staus change we will contact you by email' Ha! they never will change that Status!!!!
Congrats Me12345 and Hemeonc. The momentum is picking up!!!!

thanks bmt,

when i called CCF to make an appointment, the secretary said, "i will send you your interview date and other informations closer to your interview date because so many people have been cancelling these interviews" ..oh, ok....

(i guess i was one of those people who was on the "waiting" list??? )

and those of you who have cancelled interviews early in anticipation that you will not be seriously considering CCF or any other programs, i thank you for your integrity... :clap:

h/o

Another reject from UT Southwestern, dallas. My reject list is growing in leaps and bounds!!! :mad: Any thots! Is it only me? YesI agree German IMG is the gold standard. Tell me german IMG what experience/ research have you done to make you what you are??? Thanks for your iput in advance. BMT

not sure if I am the reference dude..I believe there is a silent mayority out there that is just not contributing
I did a couple of years Hem/onc back in germany and a couple of years research in the states..I guess that's what it is... it's somewhat amusing to see though how things have changed, last year around the same time I was interviewing for residency, and things weren't running nearly as smooth ;-) not bad though either
anyway, U MIch won't happen for me, despite the fact they actually offer to acomodate travel expenses, which is very nice.
I will concentrate on the east coast. mainly for family reasons
Thus, Columbia really pisses me off...
also, still waiting to hear a peep from the NIH, send them an email..no response..to the guy who got an interview from the NIH: what is their time window for interviews

for those looking at California:
UCSF by email, albeit only 2 dates left,will decline either
P.S. my residency director is starting to question my sanity;-)

king of scut...when did you hear from u of maryland?

King of scut, is your NIH heme or Onc? I am wait listed on Heme but never heard from Onc...

TO whoever asked on the last post: I did NOT apply to MD Anderson. The only "research machines" I applied to were those who specifically had faculty looking at one of the following areas: EBV and pathogenesis of certain cancers, HIV-associated malignancies, and/or PTLD (hence, UCSF, Yale and MSKCC).

I just got back from UWisc and UMN, so if you have questions, feel free to PM me.

No word yet from Chicago programs...what's the deal? Several of the candidates I interviewed with also have not heard from them.

As for Columbia, I got an email invite, called, and they wanted a list of date preferences before they actually scheduled the interviews. Is it personal like Vandy? I have no idea but I have not heard back yet...

If places do start sending out invites this late, they better extend the interview season out to end of April/early May to accommodate.

-S. Just my 2 cents...

HI ,Ima attending my one and only interview at a community hopital.I want to know about your interview experiences.a,anything in particular they are looking for .Any input is appreiated thanx
sanfilippo said:
TO whoever asked on the last post: I did NOT apply to MD Anderson. The only "research machines" I applied to were those who specifically had faculty looking at one of the following areas: EBV and pathogenesis of certain cancers, HIV-associated malignancies, and/or PTLD (hence, UCSF, Yale and MSKCC).

I just got back from UWisc and UMN, so if you have questions, feel free to PM me.

No word yet from Chicago programs...what's the deal? Several of the candidates I interviewed with also have not heard from them.

As for Columbia, I got an email invite, called, and they wanted a list of date preferences before they actually scheduled the interviews. Is it personal like Vandy? I have no idea but I have not heard back yet...

If places do start sending out invites this late, they better extend the interview season out to end of April/early May to accommodate.

-S. Just my 2 cents...

:confused:
CTX said:
HI ,I am attending my one and only interview at a community hopital.I want to know about your interview experiences.a,anything in particular they are looking for .Any input is appreciated thanx

nih: oncology
they offered 3 interview dates, last one being in april.

i heard from u maryland a couple weeks ago

Hi friends,

It has been a roller-coaster ride. For some reason I have been unable reply to this website from my home computer !!! My interviews until now:

1. Albert Einstein, NY
2. U of Arizona
3. Georgetown
4. U of Virginia
5. NYU
6. Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas

Thought I'll share with you guys.

columbia official rejection by mail
jefferson invite by phone

Wake Forest invite by email.

Hey All,

I've been trolling this board for awhile, so I feel I owe it to everyone to post.

5 interviews so far (all by email):
1. MD Anderson
2. UNC
3. UT-Southwestern
4. UW-Madison (oncology)
5. Wake Forest

Waiting to hear from 10 others.

No rejections...yet.

Good luck to everyone, and thanks to all who have posted thus far!

:)

To Sanfilippo,
Can you please share your interview experience at UMN ?
Thanks
vrgk

Hello guys/gals,

I just got an e-mail from Emory, and they said that the applcn has been reviewed by the fellowship committee and if selected to interview will receive a separate e-mail. Did anybody else get this e-mail ???

chemo-man said:
Hello guys/gals,

I just got an e-mail from Emory, and they said that the applcn has been reviewed by the fellowship committee and if selected to interview will receive a separate e-mail. Did anybody else get this e-mail ???
Yes I got it too,no separate email though

Hi all,
Got a rejection from Montefiore after being on the wait list. I did get an interview at NYU/Northshore by phone. Keep them coming!

Hi all,
Got a rejection from Montefiore after being on the wait list. I did get an interview at NYU/Northshore by phone. Keep them coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.