Heme/Onc Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there's a serious lack of update here... so is everyone done with the rank list? any feedbacks from programs? i did receive one positive email from a west coast program, but of course i'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad.

there's a serious lack of update here... so is everyone done with the rank list? any feedbacks from programs? i did receive one positive email from a west coast program, but of course i'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Yup. ROL done. TY emails done and responded to. Just going to do my last 3 wks of wards this year (on family leave @ the moment) and just try to let this all just wash over me.

I did have a Match dream the other night where I matched at a program I didn't even interview at but put on my list just to fill out 10 spots. I checked, that program isn't actually on my list so I should be okay.

does anybody know anything about the scramble process, just in case you don't match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure of the scramble process for fellowships.
Just submitted the rank list. good luck everyone:thumbup:

does anybody know anything about the scramble process, just in case you don't match?

Guys, don't forget that Rank Lists are due on the 6th, so make sure you get yours certified! FYI, if it doesn't say "Certified ROL" in the top right for your status in the NRMP site, you haven't certified (and thus aren't bona fide)!

Great luck on the match, everyone!

Its been great having company on this forum during this application season... good luck to everyone... hopefully on the 20th we will all post on this forum and share some great news!

It's official! I echo ghettomd's sentiments and wish you all the best of luck. Talk to you guys at the end of the month!

Good luck, everyone!!!

Question:

IF a scramble has to happen, what kind of stuff is requested? ERAS is no longer open, so, I am not sure what is wanted.

I would assume essay, CV, grades, USMLE scores..............

what else?

Only 3 more days.... Good luck to everyone!

Only 3 more days.... Good luck to everyone!

Dude, don't remind me....I'm on-call in the CCU that day - no celebrating w/ my classmates and getting hammered for me! That's okay...it is a Wednesday, after all - hopefully the following Friday will be a big going-out day for my class. Of course, I'm on-call in the CCU the day after Friday again, so you just can't win. Damn units!

Freaking out!! Good luck everyone!! My fingers are crossed!!

good luck everyone. It has been a long long wait.

Participating Programs Available Positions Number of Unfilled Positions Percent of Unfilled Programs*
Cardiology 163 670 1 <1
Gastroenterology** 134 283 7 4
Hematology** 9 27 2 22
Hematology-Oncology** 115 385 6 5
Infectious Diseases 117 275 21 15
Oncology** 13 49 1 8
Pulmonary-Critical Care Medicine 115 349 9 5
Rheumatology 94 162 7 6

*Unfilled programs may have more than one position remaining available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Participating Programs Available Positions Number of Unfilled Positions Percent of Unfilled Programs*
Cardiology 163 670 1 <1
Gastroenterology** 134 283 7 4
Hematology** 9 27 2 22
Hematology-Oncology** 115 385 6 5
Infectious Diseases 117 275 21 15
Oncology** 13 49 1 8
Pulmonary-Critical Care Medicine 115 349 9 5
Rheumatology 94 162 7 6

*Unfilled programs may have more than one position remaining available.

Looking at the unmatched spots last year which are so very few, I have a feeling that most programs and candidates get a feel[more than just a feel] of how/whether they are going to be ranked by the program. Or maybe it is just that everyone is just ranking each and every program under the sky [better safe than unmatched and sorry!!].Hem onc filled 379 of 385 positions. Is it just that the match is too efficient.:laugh::laugh:

Good luck and best wishes to everyone! Get some sleep tonight! :luck:

just checkedand given my interest in stem cell..it was as good as i could have hoped for...
thank for all your support and useful info on this web site and best of luck to all:thumbup:

Good luck and best wishes to everyone! Get some sleep tonight! :luck:

I matched at my number 1 choice this year! Wahoo!

Screw you local cancer center that rejected me twice!

C'mon, stop with the vagaries - let's hear program names, people! I'm headed to sunny SoCal and UCLA! Couldn't be more pumped up. Now if only I weren't on-call in the CCU...

Congrats Signomi, Clueless1, Sarthi and everyone! Great work on a great match! I matched at the Univ of Minnesota!

Congrats to everyone who matched!

Unfortunately, I was limited to only 1 program this year... and I did not match there. I'll work on beefing up my resume and will re-apply again next year. Scrambling simply isn't an option as my wife is my first priority.

Again, well done to everyone who applied this yr, it's been fun trolling the boards with you :)

University of Chicago :):) Happy!

Congrats to all you guys! Sounds like we did well for ourselves in the Match - there are some heavy-hitting programs you all matched into! It's been a pleasure swapping stories about interviews, arguing the merits of the "A" vs "B" vs "C" list interviews (something I believe in even more now that it's all over...), and espousing my conspiracy theories with you all. I look forward to meeting you guys again in person at ASCO's to come.

Cheers!

Mine is Fred Hutch...:)..anyone else going there?

btw, sarthi, are you doing the heme-onc track or the med-onc only track?

fred hutch was actually my first choice. after getting the email confirmation from the program director there that i would be on the lists for both tracks, i ranked the heme-onc track as my number 1, and med-onc only track as number 2. to my surprise, this morning i found out that i actually matched to somewhere else despite the fact that fred hutch didn't fill one of its med-onc spots!!! it turned out that there was a communication breakdown between the program director and the coordinator and i ended up on the heme-onc track list only.

well, now it might be too late for anything to be done since the match is a binding contract. :mad:

Happybob->
Mine is MedOnc, but they allow 2 MedOnc fellows to do dual (heme-onc) track. I haven't given much thought to that for now, since my focus is transplant. From what I knew, they had 2 spots in heme-onc and around 6? in Med Onc, so I i just applied to Med Onc, given the probabilities. They did not give me any email confirmation prior to match.

btw, sarthi, are you doing the heme-onc track or the med-onc only track?

fred hutch was actually my first choice. after getting the email confirmation from the program director there that i would be on the lists for both tracks, i ranked the heme-onc track as my number 1, and med-onc only track as number 2. to my surprise, this morning i found out that i actually matched to somewhere else despite the fact that fred hutch didn't fill one of its med-onc spots!!! it turned out that there was a communication breakdown between the program director and the coordinator and i ended up on the heme-onc track list only.

well, now it might be too late for anything to be done since the match is a binding contract. :mad:

Hey Sarthi-
I'm very excited I also just matched to Seattle for Med Onc also my number one choice.

Happybob->
Mine is MedOnc, but they allow 2 MedOnc fellows to do dual (heme-onc) track. I haven't given much thought to that for now, since my focus is transplant. From what I knew, they had 2 spots in heme-onc and around 6? in Med Onc, so I i just applied to Med Onc, given the probabilities. They did not give me any email confirmation prior to match.

cool. i think i would've matched to the same program as you if they didn't have the miscommunication. i've contacted them, so we'll see what happens...

I can't believe I matched at Sloan!!! Good luck to all of you. See you at next year's ASCO/ASH.

Congratulations to all of those who matched.:thumbup:
You deserve it for all the hard work and the efforts you put in.
I am an IMG who was at the end of 2nd year residency in a community program. I applied to over 80 programs. But I did not get an interview at any place. Hence I wasnt registered in NRMP. Would any one be kind enough to give me the list of unmatched positions so that I can try my luck at least in scramble. Either Onc / hem-onc / hem would be fine.

This year they blocked all those who matched from viewing the list of unfilled programs. If you take the time to sort through the stats that are available at NRMP, you can figure out where the eight open slots are located...yes only 8! I bet they are all filled already. I recall 2 were at Cleveland Clinic, 1 at Boston U., 1 at Duke I believe, 1 at Mt Sinai, 1 at some other NYC program (Roosevelt?)

Hey Cherry Ghost i am heading south.

I matched on Moffitt! frieken tampa, florida... weekend beach trips here I come and the program is great too!

Anyone else match there?

Matched at the NIH. Good times. For convenience I went through the NRMP stats for this year. As noted above, only 8 spots left unfilled for a total of about 385 positions in Heme/Onc. Anyone have any idea how many applicants? Here are the unfilled programs below. It seems like most of these programs are quality. I bet they interviewed a bunch of rock-stars (many of whom post on this page, I've noticed) and didn't rank enough people.

Congrats to all those who matched.

BOSTON UNIV MED CTR-MA Clinical track 1/2
Research track 0/1

BAYSTATE MED CTR-MA Clinical track 0/1

MT SINAI HOSPITAL-NY Clinical track 1/2

ST LUKES-ROOSEVELT-NY Clinical track 1/2

CLEVELAND CLINIC FDN-OH Clinical track 4/6

U WASHINGTON AFFIL HOSPS Research track 5/6

The Hutch had an open spot??? Now I REALLY feel bad that they didn't offer me an interview! ;)

Cheers, guys.

Great! congratulations
sent you a pm, if you wish to exchange contact info..

Hey Sarthi-
I'm very excited I also just matched to Seattle for Med Onc also my number one choice.

The Hutch had an open spot??? Now I REALLY feel bad that they didn't offer me an interview! ;)

Cheers, guys.

the open spot at Fed Hutch is for Med-Onc only, so you can only single board in Onc, not Heme. I think that's why it went unfilled. But I think you might be able to switch to combined Heme-Onc down the road if funding allows, at least this is what the coordinator told me. either way, Fred Hutch is a great program. It was my first choice, but I ended up matching somewhere else because they didn't put me on both tracks as they promised me to. oh well, it's not meant to be... plus, now i won't need to worry about having to jump through extra loops just to double board.

clueless1, you did great matching at UCLA. don't worry about not getting an inteview at Fred Hutch. i interviewed at both Fred Hutch and UCLA, but ended up matching at UCI. so this whole process is pretty random. I think fellows from UCI currently do a month of bone marrow transplant at UCLA, not sure if that will still be the case by the time we start, but maybe I'll end up meeting you up there.

Matched at the NIH. Good times. For convenience I went through the NRMP stats for this year. As noted above, only 8 spots left unfilled for a total of about 385 positions in Heme/Onc. Anyone have any idea how many applicants? Here are the unfilled programs below. It seems like most of these programs are quality. I bet they interviewed a bunch of rock-stars (many of whom post on this page, I've noticed) and didn't rank enough people.

Congrats to all those who matched.

BOSTON UNIV MED CTR-MA Clinical track 1/2
Research track 0/1

BAYSTATE MED CTR-MA Clinical track 0/1

MT SINAI HOSPITAL-NY Clinical track 1/2

ST LUKES-ROOSEVELT-NY Clinical track 1/2

CLEVELAND CLINIC FDN-OH Clinical track 4/6

U WASHINGTON AFFIL HOSPS Research track 5/6

:laugh:Those are exactly my thoughts. Didn't match this year. Will be back next year. Congratulations to all those who matched and everyone's input.
ciao

Anybody heard from their new program (or for that matter the NRMP) yet? Am I high or were we supposed to hear from the NRMP via email about if/where we matched? I haven't gotten that one yet. My IM PD didn't hear about how the people in his program did directly from the NRMP (like they're supposed to) and ended up having to email and page a few people directly to find out how they did, the rest he heard about through the grapevine.

We had a virtual Match Day ceremony at our program. It was "Meet the Fresh Meat Lunch Day" (okay, it was a meet the new interns lunch) so pretty much everyone who wasn't off-site or on vacation (only about 10 out of 100 residents) was there and we got to hear how everyone did and congratulate each other which was actually kind of cool.

the open spot at Fed Hutch is for Med-Onc only, so you can only single board in Onc, not Heme. I think that's why it went unfilled. But I think you might be able to switch to combined Heme-Onc down the road if funding allows, at least this is what the coordinator told me. either way, Fred Hutch is a great program. It was my first choice, but I ended up matching somewhere else because they didn't put me on both tracks as they promised me to. oh well, it's not meant to be... plus, now i won't need to worry about having to jump through extra loops just to double board.

I spoke to a lot of program directors on the interview trail and they told me that they don't rank everybody they interview.

FYI for future applicants, Hutch is usually able to let everyone who wants to double board to do so but they don't guarantee it.

Also, I heard they filled the spot.

clueless1, you did great matching at UCLA. don't worry about not getting an inteview at Fred Hutch. i interviewed at both Fred Hutch and UCLA, but ended up matching at UCI. so this whole process is pretty random. I think fellows from UCI currently do a month of bone marrow transplant at UCLA, not sure if that will still be the case by the time we start, but maybe I'll end up meeting you up there.

Thanks for the props, happy...Don't get me wrong, I'm totally 100% satisfied with my match, as it was my #1 choice. I was just being fecetious about the Hutch, and it likely wouldn't have mattered as I don't think it would've supplanted my #1 spot on the rank list (although I would've liked an excuse to go to Seattle).

That'd be cool if you came over to UCLA for BMT - I'll keep an eye out for you!

Anybody heard from their new program (or for that matter the NRMP) yet? Am I high or were we supposed to hear from the NRMP via email about if/where we matched?

My new program sent an e-mail on Wednesday afternoon saying congratulation, looking forward to working with you in 2008, and they included the list of people who matched there.
No e-mail from NRMP.

The PD called me on match day to give me the obligatory "Happy to have you, anxiously awaiting your arrival" spiel. A nice touch. But no email from NRMP or program as yet.

I spoke to a lot of program directors on the interview trail and they told me that they don't rank everybody they interview.

FYI for future applicants, Hutch is usually able to let everyone who wants to double board to do so but they don't guarantee it.

in my case with fred hutch was that i was mainly going for the combined heme-onc track, and i got an email saying that i would be ranked highly in that track. however, since there were only 3 spots for that track, i knew that to have a better chance, i would need to be put on the rank list for the med-onc only track too which had 6 spots. they had told me originally that they would put me on both lists, but apparently at the end only put me on the combined heme-onc list.

Also, I heard they filled the spot.

i also heard that they were going to fill the spot internally with someone from univ of wash who was highly qualified but didn't match.

The PD called me on match day to give me the obligatory "Happy to have you, anxiously awaiting your arrival" spiel. A nice touch. But no email from NRMP or program as yet.

i got the congratulatory voice mail on my cellphone from the program coordinator on wednesday, then the PD paged me the next day and gave me the same congratulatory greeting over the phone.

I got the welcome aboard call yesterday as well. I am still so excited about matching at my top choice! They told me they ranked me #1 too. They only take 2 people, so I do believe the PD was being honest.

I start a Palliative Care fellowship next week. :scared: After two years of being an attending!

Status
Not open for further replies.