Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems OKHi I am currently a 3rd year fellow with a job offer that I'm planning on taking. Anything that i should ask about and how does this offers seem?
Base salary: 525k for first two years.
This one sounds terrible, but I'm not sure just how terrible. Let's math it out for a minute.After two years, base becomes 90% of earnings from previous year with 67$ per RVU over production threshold.
525 x 0.9 = $472500 as your base in year 3. If they're using an RVU conversion of 67, that works out to a little over 7000 wRVU just to make that base. To get back to your original base, it's over 7500 wRVU. To get to 7500 wRVU in a year, you're going to need 17-18 patients a day. Totally doable. But way underpaid. My current, hospital employed, gig, at 7500 wRVU/y I'm going to get paid a hair under $750K. There are folks out there getting $100-110/wRVU (not counting PP folks getting infusion and ancillary money). $67/wRVU means that someone is skimming a quarter million dollars off you every single year.
Good4 day work week with 32 patient facing hours
Also good, as long as they don't expect you to be ass in seat in the office.1 admin day
Could be good if you get some portion of their productivity credited to you.All physicians are paired 1:1 APP.
Not terrible, not fabulous, but pretty average. I have been very fortunate in my career to go from a 1:15(ish) call to 1:never call. I recognize that my views on what constitutes a "good" call schedule is very biased.1:6 call, APP supports inpatient on weekdays
Weekends not too busy, on average 3-4 hours/day in hospital
That sounds cool until you realize how many APPs don't know s*** about f***. I am married to one who is very good and I would have no concerns about managing my inbox. My current APP is pretty good and I feel comfortable with her managing it while I'm on vacation, knowing I'll have some small messes to clean up when I get back. I have worked with dozens of APPs that I wouldn't trust to cat sit for me (I have a cat that hates people and has automatic feeder, waterer and litter box, the only thing you need to do is check them all once a week).They said the APP’s manage the inbox which sounds really nice.
I'm a huge fan of work-life balance and have never been about salarymaxxing. But you can easily find a job that will let you do that and make 30-50% more than this job would, with no more work.My goal is not necessarily to optimize salary but to have a good work life balance which it seems like having a 1:1 APP would help with. They said you can be as busy as you would like.
Based on what you've told us about the comp plan, if he's off the guarantee and on full production, he's making $350-450K with that workload. Not chump change by any measure. But still well below what he should be getting paid.One MD there is two years in and sees about 12-15 patients a day.