heme-onc salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardioboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
on the average how much do heme-oncs make

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, am I a complete idiot or are those numbers ridiculous? Does anybody have any clue as to how these physician salary surverys are conducted. Show me a heme-onc that makes 350K and I'll introduce you to a janitor that owns an island. Nothing wrong with being a janitor by the way :).

I mean clearly these numbers are not accurately reporting academic physician salaries. So what? Well, isn't heme-onc mostly an academic subspecialty? I come from a pretty solid University institution with a "comprehensive cancer center" that boasts world-class rad onc, well-regarded surg onc faculty that regularly send gen surg residents to MSK and MD Anderson for surg. onc fellowship, and med onc that is also no slouch. Apart from the head honcho in rad onc I've never heard of anyone pulling down 400k+.

Is there some underground world of private practice heme-onc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Spoonman2332 said:
Okay, am I a complete idiot or are those numbers ridiculous? Does anybody have any clue as to how these physician salary surverys are conducted. Show me a heme-onc that makes 350K and I'll introduce you to a janitor that owns an island. Nothing wrong with being a janitor by the way :).

I mean clearly these numbers are not accurately reporting academic physician salaries. So what? Well, isn't heme-onc mostly an academic subspecialty? I come from a pretty solid University institution with a "comprehensive cancer center" that boasts world-class rad onc, well-regarded surg onc faculty that regularly send gen surg residents to MSK and MD Anderson for surg. onc fellowship, and med onc that is also no slouch. Apart from the head honcho in rad onc I've never heard of anyone pulling down 400k+.

Heme-onc is most definitely not a "mostly academic subspecialty." You might be thinking of neuro-onc, which right now is an extremely academic specialty (and from my understanding, one with a significant shortage currently at major academic medical centers). In fact, if you drive around town, you're probably going to see a lot of free-standing cancer hospitals popping up.

This tells us two things:
1. Heme-oncs are in private practice (and though I dont have a percentage, I think a majority are in private)
2. Heme-oncs make enough money to build free-standing cancer hospitals. Not all specialties can do this (the whole point of a hospital is to allow high revenue services to pay for the lower revenue services-- so if a specialty can split off and form its own hospital, that means that specialty is currently a high revenue service).

Of course, things are going to change with medicare reimbursement for chemo, but who knows.

Spoonman2332 said:

Pardon the spanish at the top... Hem Onc is one of the biggest money makers. Also those who are in Private practice do extremely well. I would agree that making 400K is probably a bit high but I doubt they make 250K like the other site says. The reality is many medical specialties are paid well and these numbers are very hard to find on the net. As far as Rad Onc... This is one of the highest paid specialties. Simply put one guy I know here in Chicago just finished his residency and has an offer in hand to start at over 500K. Additionally, while it is a different field interventional Rads also pays extremnely well. They are starting to step on some surgeons toes.

If you are looking to chase the dollar you can be very well compensated in many fields, many physicians choose to work with a patient population that pays a little less.

There is a reason Hem-Onc, GI, and Cards are so competetive and for example ID is not. The answer is $$$. This is a mantra that holds true throughout the medical field. The less work required and the more money involved the more competetive the field.