hemepath in private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I have a question about hemepath opportunities in private practice. I am an MD/PhD student and right now I want an academic research-oriented career. I am mostly interested in CP but have heard that doing CP only makes you "stuck" in an academic career. I think that that is what I want, but I hate to totally close the door on private practice. So are there private practice opportunities available for someone who does CP only and then a hemepath fellowship?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

beary said:
Hi gang,

I have a question about hemepath opportunities in private practice. I am an MD/PhD student and right now I want an academic research-oriented career. I am mostly interested in CP but have heard that doing CP only makes you "stuck" in an academic career. I think that that is what I want, but I hate to totally close the door on private practice. So are there private practice opportunities available for someone who does CP only and then a hemepath fellowship?

Thanks!

The private practice oppotunities for a CP only person would mainly be limited to private lab jobs (i.e. Quest, Labcorp/Dianon). I do belive that being CP only would indeed limit your opportunities for working in a community hospital. In private practice (specifically community hospitals), its rare to find a situation in which one can only do one thing (like hemepath). They are generally looking for people who can do multiple things well (i.e. sign out surgicals, cytologies, hemepath, and take AP and CP call).
If your heart is set on academic medicine, then its probably safe to do CP only. But if there is a chance that you may want to pursue private practice opportunities (or if you want to make yourself more marketable in general) then I would recommend doing a combined AP/CP residency before a hemepath fellowship.
Good luck.

beary said:
So are there private practice opportunities available for someone who does CP only and then a hemepath fellowship?

There are rare private practice groups that employ CP-only pathologists. I would hate to be looking for that job though. I think your prospects improve a little with the addition of the hematopathology fellowship, but not much. Most private practices are going to be primarily interested in someone that can cover frozen sections and at least occasionally sign out surgicals. I agree with pathdawg: If you are not 100% sure about academics, I think the only wise option is to do AP/CP.

(On a side note, in my experience, AP was not that fun until I started to "get it". You may have a similar experience if you do AP/CP.)

RyMcQ said:
There are rare private practice groups that employ CP-only pathologists. I would hate to be looking for that job though. I think your prospects improve a little with the addition of the hematopathology fellowship, but not much. Most private practices are going to be primarily interested in someone that can cover frozen sections and at least occasionally sign out surgicals. I agree with pathdawg: If you are not 100% sure about academics, I think the only wise option is to do AP/CP.

(On a side note, in my experience, AP was not that fun until I started to "get it". You may have a similar experience if you do AP/CP.)

CP only jobs: Not evenly remotely as rare as some people claim. Do BBTM and you'll not only be fine, your lifestyle will be far better than some poor slob sitting behind 4 feet of glass from derm slides everyday.