Hep B vaccine - anyone start this yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cymbidium

Awesome.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read that the Hep B vaccine is a series of 3 shots administered over the course of 6 months. Is that true? Will schools let you start if you haven't completed the series?

Oops.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools will let you start, I believe. I was looking at my school info and it even says that the school will administer it (or at least the schools insurance will allow it) when you start.

Check you records though...most people already had this as a kid. In some states it became mandated early on.

I got mine done a few years back but just found out it didn't work. So I started the next series in late Feb, got the second shot a few weeks ago, and can go back late August for the third... Except school might start just before the 6 months are up, so if that's the case I'd have to go back around Thanksgiving.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is recommended that anyone under 18 get Hep B vaccination, so I agree you should make certain you haven't already received it. I didn't have to until I worked in a hospital setting handling patient samples though. It takes between 4 and 6 months for the 3 doses to be administered. In adults, you get the first dose, then the 2nd dose at least 1 mo after the first and the 3rd dose 4-6 months after the 1st. In many dental schools, I believe they do require you to at least have received the first 2 doses prior to registration. I'm not sure this is true at all of them though. It may depend on how early you get true clinical exposure. Luckily, DentSim "patients" don't carry Hep B.

I got mine done a few years back but just found out it didn't work. So I started the next series in late Feb, got the second shot a few weeks ago, and can go back late August for the third... Except school might start just before the 6 months are up, so if that's the case I'd have to go back around Thanksgiving.

According to my doctor, you don't have to wait that long. You have to wait two months between the second and third shot or four months between the first and third, whichever is longer. So, if you got your first shot in late Feb and your second shot a few weeks ago, you can get the last shot as early as late June.