Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hepatology

Discussion in 'Gastroenterology' started by tommyj45, Apr 14, 2007.

1. tommyj45

tommyj45 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Our manuscript to Hepatology regarding HBV just got accepted. I am an undergrad and am wondering how reputable Hepatology is. The physician I work with says its the premier liver journal and should carry me through residency. How far will this realistically "carry" me (im third author)? I am working on a second manuscript hopefully for sumission in a few months on post OLT quality of life(4th author). Are these publications only useful if I go into GI? I will be applying to medical school in the next few months.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. flecktone

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    nice work, it is the big liver journal.

fellowships are of course looking at what publications you have, but more than anything they want to see that you're legitimately interested in the field. If you're the third author on a paper as an undergrad, great, but if you don't care to do anything else all the way through med school and residency (7 years) people are going to wonder if you really want anything out of GI, and if you're giong to do anything while you're at their fellowship. If you keep working on extracurricular GI-related papers through the next 7 yrs, then the sky is really the limit in terms of what fellowship you go to. Do more, be a first author, and begin to think for yourself and design some papers. Programs want people who are active and think outside the boax, and thereby change the way things are done, change the field itself.

Why GI? You haven't even started med school. It's very rare that people know what they want before med school even begins. Often opinions keep changing even through residency. Nevertheless, you're already working w a very active group, so don't cut any ties now. The type of work you're doing now looks great for any area of medicine you apply, and will keep you disciplined as school gets more intense so you'll still be used to doing some extracurricular work.

The incomes of fields are always changing, don't choose GI b/c it's currently lucrative. First and foremost, choose fields that keep you interested.

4. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree with all of this. I had a couple of first author pubs as an undergrad in the top journal for a totally unrelated specialty and they helped to get me my GI fellowship. The program directors like that you've demonstrated a propensity to do research and recognize that you can't have all the information needed to choose a specialty as an undergrad. Approach each rotation like its what you want to do with the rest of your life because 1)you'll do better and 2) you might suddenly discover that it is what you want to do.

If you end up wanting guts and butts after all, the papers will serve you well.