Transplant Hepatology vs General GI

Started by TS10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TS10

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I am a female gastroenterology fellow contemplating doing an additional 4th year for Transplant Hepatology vs sticking with general GI. Anyone currently in practice or in fellowship have pros and cons for each? I understand with Transplant Hepatology I would be looking at academics with probably a better lifestyle, but I do not want to completely give up scoping. There are attendings I have met that are Transplant Hepatologists that also scope, but this is rare. I also understand that I would probably make more as a General GI in private practice, but how much more? What is the trade off?
For reference, I am in Texas and plan to stay here and practice longterm.

Thanks!
 
Hi all,
I am a female gastroenterology fellow contemplating doing an additional 4th year for Transplant Hepatology vs sticking with general GI. Anyone currently in practice or in fellowship have pros and cons for each? I understand with Transplant Hepatology I would be looking at academics with probably a better lifestyle, but I do not want to completely give up scoping. There are attendings I have met that are Transplant Hepatologists that also scope, but this is rare. I also understand that I would probably make more as a General GI in private practice, but how much more? What is the trade off?
For reference, I am in Texas and plan to stay here and practice longterm.

Thanks!
I have seen many Transplant hepatolgist that also scope at least two days a week.
Life style is great. Compensation is awesome.
stick with transplant it is so worth it.
Also remember private practice you will deal so much admin work so I suggest do the 4th year and moonlight as a GI if you can if not do some scopes a day.
Many strong pharmaceutical company compensation on the side plus advisory committee, chair, department head and also fastest route to tenure.

transplant hepatology is the number 1 , motility number 2 for me as a female in GI.
 
Last edited:
that is a strange and sexist comment.

Only do a PGY7 year if you want to be a medical director of a transplant program with all that entails. The inpatient service can be very demanding. Compensation is higher in general GI. just the extra year costs a lot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have seen many Transplant hepatolgist that also scope at least two days a week.
Life style is great. Compensation is awesome.
stick with transplant it is so worth it.
Also remember private practice you will deal so much admin work so I suggest do the 4th year and moonlight as a GI if you can if not do some scopes a day.
Many strong pharmaceutical company compensation on the side plus advisory committee, chair, department head and also fastest route to tenure.

transplant hepatology is the number 1 , motility number 2 for me as a female in GI

well as a women I can say I am happy as motility specialist (did the one month Fellowship) and super happy as transplant (pilot program) graduate. Plus I have the numbers for advance procedures and yes directorship comes with it also.

PM for salary and wRVU and final year potential.
 
Last edited: