Here are my Stats, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHopeIgetIn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I figured I'd ask again. I am applying to podiatry school for 2010-2011. My Dat was an overall 19, with a 16 in Bio and a 22 in Organic. I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.09 Science. I have had a little job shadowing experience, enough to know that it is something I am interested in and wanting to do the rest of my life. I am applying to Temple and NY since those are the only two (that I'm aware of) that accept the DAT. I am almost done with my app., just waiting for my transcripts to arrive (I sent them a week ago) What do you think? Am I competitive? Is it a close to sure thing? I interview very well and have had a long list of extra-curricular and community service. Thanks for the help!

~Fingers crossed applicant

Members don't see this ad.

- I think it would reflect better if you took the MCAT. However, if you want to go to Philly or Temple than that is up to you. Your GPA is good enough.

I agree, I wish I had taken the MCAT, however, I'm pretty sure the physics section would kill me. It would require a LOT of study time since it has been almost 3 years since I last had any physics. New York and Temple both told me a 19 DAT was good and atleast met or exceeded what they typically accept for DATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I've heard, but on the AACPMAS it indicates that the only two that will accept the DAT for 2011-2012 are Temple and NYC. Can anyone confirm if this is inaccurate or not? I'll be calling Barry Monday just to check.

I would be very careful about applying to NYCPM. If anything, apply to Temple. NYCPM doesn't have such a good reputation. It's administered by dinosaurs who don't want to change and truly aren't looking out for the students best interest. For example, look at the exterior of the school..it's old! Being that education is competitive, don't you think they would at least try to upgrade the interior and exterior of the school? Also, look at the surrounding area? Again, if the administrators of the school really wanted to enroll the "best & the brightest", wouldn't they at least make an effort to clean-up the surrounding area ( safety should be any student's and parent's top concern)? At Temple, the students don't have to worry about attending a " hole in the wall".

In fact, many students who tour NYCPM, and then tour Temple, end up at Temple.

I would be very careful about applying to NYCPM. If anything, apply to Temple. NYCPM doesn't have such a good reputation. It's administered by dinosaurs who don't want to change and truly aren't looking out for the students best interest. For example, look at the exterior of the school..it's old! Being that education is competitive, don't you think they would at least try to upgrade the interior and exterior of the school? Also, look at the surrounding area? Again, if the administrators of the school really wanted to enroll the "best & the brightest", wouldn't they at least make an effort to clean-up the surrounding area ( safety should be any student's and parent's top concern)? At Temple, the students don't have to worry about attending a " hole in the wall".

Hey when I was looking into podiatry, nycpm was perfectly fine with me. Sure it may not be the prettiest school but it's far away from being a "hole in the wall" it's just in Harlem which really isn't that bad assuming your not taking a midnight stroll..

With the addition of the foot center of ny which is the largest in the country and students get to rotate at it. I thought it was a great school. Then again, I never went there so this is just my $0.02 take it for what it's worth and hopefully someone who attends or attended nycpm can chime in..

I don't understand why there is so much NYCPM bashing on this website! Just because a school is located in Harlem, doesn't mean it has a bad reputation. Columbia University - an Ivy League school - is looking to expand their campus into Harlem. Does that mean it is going to start to have a bad reputation? A school has a bad reputation if they aren't giving their students the education needed to be successful. This is not the case with NYCPM - They have a strong curriculum and work their students HARD! And it pays off - they got a 99% pass rate on their Board I this year. I don't think that is a sign of a school with a bad reputation! What was Temple's board pass rate? Maybe it was the same, and if it was, that makes the schools at the same level. And as for the facility, who cares of it is old! The school is 100 years old for goodness sake! Besides I heard they are renovating. Either way, that's not a reason to say NYCPM has a "bad reputation". I haven't heard one bad thing from NYCPM students. They love it there, and there is a reason why!

I am planning on going and visiting both schools sometime this fall. What do you think my chances of getting in are to them? Pretty good? Medium? Bad? I guess I am very familiar with the competitiveness and difficulty for getting into Medical and Dental schools, but am not as familiar with the difficulty of getting into a Podiatry School.

Your bio in DAT is kinda low though I think you have a decent chance. I visited NYCPM in june and had a chance to have conversation with one admin. The guy told me that average DAT score is 17-18 ish so with your 19 DAT score would increase your chance. However, he sounded like lower than 17 probably hurts you.

*Anyway, I think you can get in with that.

ysasa, your remarks are laughable and make you appear incredibly stupid. Here are some reasons why.

As I type this, NYCPM is updating their library, cafeteria, gym, front of the building, hallways, and student lounge. You are clearly not a student at NYCPM and have a grudge against this school. You yourself should make an effort to keep on top of things.

NYCPM used to have a poor reputation (at least that is what I can gather from this forum that only spews negativity). This has changed in the last few years. 99% board pass rate, TONS of renovations, a very busy clinic.

Interestingly enough, a lot of my classmates interviewed at Temple. Since I doubt you are smart enough to make the connection, that means that those students interviewed both places and then elected to come to this school.

I have nothing against Temple or any other school, but you ysasa should probably make another new screen name as you have ruined your reputation on this one.

ysasa, you do realize that philly has a much higher crime rate than NYC right? The days of Frank Lucas' Harlem are long gone. Crime rates in the area have been going down while the rates around your precious temple have been increasing. NYCPM is also located in arguably the best city in the world while temple is located in Philly, arguably the worst city with the worst people in the world (eagles and phillies fans). When I first got onto this forum I saw that NYCPM had a bad reputation, but I am beginning to see how that was probably started and spread by people who don't know what they are talking about.

IHopeIgetIn7, I would say your chances are pretty good for both temple and NYCPM. Honestly. don't let anyone on this forum influence your decision. Go visit the schools yourself and make your own decision.

I think that most the POD schools are in horrible crime ridden expensive cities from NY to Oakland. Phili does have a lot worse crime rates than NY. I like SF, but too bad the school is in oakland. I guess Barry's in a okay city...assuming Ft. lauderdale is far enough away from the high crime in North Miami. Is anyone avoiding AZ like the plague due to the political issues surrounding that state? Don't want to be accidently deported to Mexico. To the OP, I agree with eveyone else. You stats seem competitive. I would recommend taking the mcat to give you more options though. Good luck!

I don't understand why there is so much NYCPM bashing on this website! Just because a school is located in Harlem, doesn't mean it has a bad reputation. Columbia University - an Ivy League school - is looking to expand their campus into Harlem. Does that mean it is going to start to have a bad reputation? A school has a bad reputation if they aren't giving their students the education needed to be successful. This is not the case with NYCPM - They have a strong curriculum and work their students HARD! And it pays off - they got a 99% pass rate on their Board I this year. I don't think that is a sign of a school with a bad reputation! What was Temple's board pass rate? Maybe it was the same, and if it was, that makes the schools at the same level. And as for the facility, who cares of it is old! The school is 100 years old for goodness sake! Besides I heard they are renovating. Either way, that's not a reason to say NYCPM has a "bad reputation". I haven't heard one bad thing from NYCPM students. They love it there, and there is a reason why!

Doesn't each class routinely lose 25% of students that enroll? That is pretty awful, but I guess the ~75 that are left probably know what they are doing. It's great that they're weeding unqualified people out, but why even let them in in the first place?

Like people said...don't listen to the negativity on here. Visit places yourselves. crime can happen anywhere and stay away from sketchy places at night. Its common sense. I understand not wanting to have to prepare for another standardized exam. It is a lot of time and effort which should be better spent shadowing and involving yourself in the field of Podiatry and also to spend time relaxing, vacationing, and visiting family because you don't get a lot of time to do that when POD school starts. I will ask Barry if they still accept the DAT...as they should because many good students came from your situation.

Doesn't each class routinely lose 25% of students that enroll? That is pretty awful, but I guess the ~75 that are left probably know what they are doing. It's great that they're weeding unqualified people out, but why even let them in in the first place?

Not sure what percentage of classes drop out, but yes there are students who drop out or get kicked out. NYCPM has a zero tolerance policy and will not hesitate to drop a student who isnt taking their classes seriously or isnt making the cut. As for why accept them in the first place, I cannot answer that question. It could be that because of the "poor" reputation being spewed out on this forum and from students at other schools, NYCPM didn't have the applicant pool they should have! Nonetheless, this has changed and I their applicant pool is getting stronger each year - I suspect it is on par with other schools at this point.

Thank you all for your two cents. I appreciate it. Paulywog, thanks for asking Barry about the DAT, let me know what they say. I'm applying to both and am planning on viewing their campuses and surrounding areas when and if I go to interview. I'm still a bit nervous about getting in, but from what I read I should have a decent chance. My app. is nearly complete, waiting on my DAT to show up actually. The letters of rec. should all be sent off in the next two weeks. I'm not sure how far ahead or behind I am on the timeline.