Here is my profile. How can I improve it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macromind101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second-semester student in college. My GPA for the first semester turned out to be 3.611 (so not terrible but not great either) and unfortunately, no matter how hard I try while still keeping my extracurriculars, I don't think my GPA will change very much (so by the time I apply, I suspect it will be in the 3.6-3.7 range).

In terms of research experience. I am currently working in a research lab and after working there for two years, I plan on applying to a Neuroscience Summer Research Program (so summer of my sophomore year) and hopefully continuing there for the academic year. I also worked in a lab over the summer after I graduated from high school which I guess can be worth mentioning. I'm also hoping to get some clinical research experience at the university hospital starting my sophomore year.

In terms of extracurriculars, I am in some pre-health and leadership clubs such as AED (Alpha Epsilon Delta) and AMSA (American Medical Student Association). I'm also currently the treasurer of chess club (hopefully I'll obtain more leadership positions over the years). I volunteer at the university hospital during the weekends where over time, I hope to get moved to positions that expose volunteers to more clinical experience. Lastly, I'm about to shadow a physician.

Obviously, I haven't taken any standardized tests yet but I plan on taking a Kaplan MCAT course starting in the summer of my sophomore year and taking it for the first time sometime in Spring junior year. I may also take the GRE for fun and also because a few MD-PhD programs require/recommend it (I'm hoping for a 2250-2300 SAT equivalent on the GRE since I got a 2210 on the SAT's without much preparation).

So yeah, that's the basic gist of me. I was wondering if you guys can give me recommendations on how I can improve my stats and activities so I can make myself a better candidate for MD-PhD programs. I'm aiming for Johns Hopkins, WashU in SL and UC San Francisco but tbh I would be satisfied with any MD-PhD program that is MSTP-funded (haha I don't want to go in-debt any more than I already am).

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing all of the right things. From this point, two things will get you to the promise land: 1) Make sure your MCAT score is in the 93rd or greater percentile bracket (for the old MCAT scoring system, that's a 34 or better. Not sure about the new one); and 2) Get as many As as possible from now until graduation.

Also, while MSTPs are, by virtue of their NIH-backing, perhaps the most prestigious MD-PhD training programs, keep the non-MSTP programs on your radar too as many of them fund 100% of both the MD and PhD training like their NIH-funded counterparts. In terms of your research, you should make every effort to demonstrate to the ADCOMs that you're not just capable of doing research, but that you can publish and present your works. Moreover, I'd recommend volunteering in clinics that serve the patients whose diseases you research in the lab (it doesn't have to be an extensive time commitment; a few hours a week over the course of the next 1-2 years should be ok). Talk to faculty physicians about opportunities to get meaningful shadowing and/or volunteering opportunities in these clinics.

It's great that you hold a leadership position in chess club, and I'd recommend leveraging your leadership skills in something clinically-inclined too (when it's all said and done, you're gonna be running a lab or a company division or an academic department, so look for leadership opportunities in student healthcare organizations, or even local non-profits). Also, the vast majority of MSTPs and MD-PhD programs don't require the GRE so I wouldn't recommend doing more than what's necessary in the standardized testing realm; just focus on that MCAT!

I am currently a second-semester student in college. My GPA for the first semester turned out to be 3.611 (so not terrible but not great either) and unfortunately, no matter how hard I try while still keeping my extracurriculars, I don't think my GPA will change very much (so by the time I apply, I suspect it will be in the 3.6-3.7 range).

In terms of research experience. I am currently working in a research lab and after working there for two years, I plan on applying to a Neuroscience Summer Research Program (so summer of my sophomore year) and hopefully continuing there for the academic year. I also worked in a lab over the summer after I graduated from high school which I guess can be worth mentioning. I'm also hoping to get some clinical research experience at the university hospital starting my sophomore year.

In terms of extracurriculars, I am in some pre-health and leadership clubs such as AED (Alpha Epsilon Delta) and AMSA (American Medical Student Association). I'm also currently the treasurer of chess club (hopefully I'll obtain more leadership positions over the years). I volunteer at the university hospital during the weekends where over time, I hope to get moved to positions that expose volunteers to more clinical experience. Lastly, I'm about to shadow a physician.

Obviously, I haven't taken any standardized tests yet but I plan on taking a Kaplan MCAT course starting in the summer of my sophomore year and taking it for the first time sometime in Spring junior year. I may also take the GRE for fun and also because a few MD-PhD programs require/recommend it (I'm hoping for a 2250-2300 SAT equivalent on the GRE since I got a 2210 on the SAT's without much preparation).

So yeah, that's the basic gist of me. I was wondering if you guys can give me recommendations on how I can improve my stats and activities so I can make myself a better candidate for MD-PhD programs. I'm aiming for Johns Hopkins, WashU in SL and UC San Francisco but tbh I would be satisfied with any MD-PhD program that is MSTP-funded (haha I don't want to go in-debt any more than I already am).

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a controversial reply but my first impression after reading your post was that there really wasn't anything unique in your application.

Don't get me wrong - you're doing all of the right things and I don't see any red flags. That being said, most MD/PhD applicants will have a similar research backgrounds, plenty of clinical volunteering/shadowing, and many will hold offices in pre-medical clubs. Most will also have something unique that helps the people reading their applications think about them as a person. Are you involved with any activities (aside from chess) that have absolutely nothing to do with your pursuit of medical/graduate school? Do you have any unique experiences that would help someone remember your application? It's not an absolute deal-deal breaker if you don't. I'm just used to seeing a little bit more well-roundedness in applicants.

You can deepen your love for chess, and incorporate the gamesmanship of the chess into a paragraph, if it truly is genuine. That has some degree of uniqueness. The leadership component in the club is not as important as the game itself.

This may be a controversial reply but my first impression after reading your post was that there really wasn't anything unique in your application.

Don't get me wrong - you're doing all of the right things and I don't see any red flags. That being said, most MD/PhD applicants will have a similar research backgrounds, plenty of clinical volunteering/shadowing, and many will hold offices in pre-medical clubs. Most will also have something unique that helps the people reading their applications think about them as a person. Are you involved with any activities (aside from chess) that have absolutely nothing to do with your pursuit of medical/graduate school? Do you have any unique experiences that would help someone remember your application? It's not an absolute deal-deal breaker if you don't. I'm just used to seeing a little bit more well-roundedness in applicants.
I also play piano for both fun and certification programs (not competitions, though, since I'm not as good as the people who compete). I'm also in the honors college student council so that I can build my leadership skills and incorporate my passion for outreach to a leadership organization.

I suppose I can talk about my diagnosis of ADHD into my application. I can talk about how it was more difficult for me than the standard MD-PhD applicant to focus my time on schoolwork but I managed to conquer my difficulties with my goal to become a surgeon-scientist to getting good grades and significant research experience. I am always hesitant to mentioning my ADHD in my applications because it is a sensitive subject for me and it may be calling attention to the weak points in my application but if I can utilize my conquering of ADHD in my application, then I just might.

Why MD-PhD? You sound like a gunner. Surgeon scientist? Are you just trying to do something really hard or do you really want to be a researcher?

I wouldn't talk about ADHD in your application. It's a controversial subject. Though fencer will like it if you start your essay with: "A game of chess is like a sword fight, you must think first before you move." ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind that despite all the training on unconscious bias and inclusion, every member of an admissions committee will have their own personal biases. The purpose of the essays is to talk about how you became inspired to become a clinician scientist and how passionate and resilient are you to follow the arduous path. Have you had the experiences that are needed to make that decision? Those are the questions that need to be answered in the essay. There are non-research activities that can show that you are willing to work hard and dedicate yourself to achieve a goal. One example is great, many would show that you can distract easily from the path.

You can deepen your love for chess, and incorporate the gamesmanship of the chess into a paragraph, if it truly is genuine. That has some degree of uniqueness. The leadership component in the club is not as important as the game itself.
Please tell me you wouldn't actually consider this versus someone with slightly higher stats as a reason for admission? If so then this whole enterprise is screwed...

I actually wrote about writing computer programs to solve games in my MSTP essay. I actually mention chess in the essay! My colleagues thought it was hilarious.
The essay was pretty nerdy (e.g., it has the word "dragons" in it).
However, it's fundamental to my character and research, so you might not want to do to it...
Also note that the type of mind that is good at chess isn't exactly what scientists are looking for.

Now, I'll write something constructive:

ADHD
You should write about your motivations for pursuing medicine.
If your experience with ADHD is critical to understanding why you want to became a physician, then I'd probably advise you to write about it. Note that your motivation for pursuing medicine will be brought up repeatedly in interviews.

There is a bit of a generational divide on how to interpret struggles with problems like ADHD / depression / etc, and unless it's truly an essential part of your character + motivation for medicine, I would seriously advise against writing about it.

Surgery
MD-PhD + surgery is traditionally a bad combination. If you can, get some mentors who are surgeons who do research.
Spend a significant amount of your time researching the MD-PhD career. Running a lab while being a practicing surgeon is near impossible in many specialties. Make sure you have role models who are both MDs and MD-PhDs.

You should try to get some experience in a surgical research center.
This will help you get into med school, but won't help you answer the following question:
"Tell me your hypothesis and how you tested it."

Surgical Research
I think on average, surgical research is less likely to further your MD-PhD career than research in fields like neuroscience.
Surgical research has a tendency to be hypothesis independent and results in clinical publications. This is a turn-off for some people.
On the other hand, it will get you critical shadowing / clinical experience. Depending on what you do, you might be involved with pathologists / radiologists / nurses / technicians / etc.
This will be extremely valuable.

Shadowing
Depending where you're going to school, you might be able to do a bunch of short stints with different physicians.
IMO, this is more valuable to you as a person.
Considering how early you are in your career, it could be incredibly valuable for you to get exposure to fields like Pathology. (which of course, is one of the best fields for MD-PhDs to go into!).

If you LOVE surgery and want to be involved in surgery stuff all day long, make sure you also shadow Pathology / Radiology. If you can, shadow a Surgical Pathologist / observe the clinical workflow that occurs after specimens are resected. If you do this, you'll be shadowing some nurses / PAs / etc, which will be valuable.

Letters of Rec
Have several mentors, and build strong relationships with your mentors. Your relationship with your PI might be the most important aspect of your success.
Letters from people who gave you A+s but don't know you very well aren't sufficient.

Piano
Mention that you play it during interviews. A lot of interviewers don't pay attention to your activities, so unless it's an important part of your essay assume they don't know it. Often, they'll ask you getting-to-know-you questions like "what do you do for fun?" Bring up the piano there.

GRE
Don't think it matters. Grad programs barely care about it.
Spend all your time on the MCAT instead.

MCAT
Take biochemistry before you take it. If you can get credit for a physiology course take it.
I find people tend to spend too much time studying books and too little time practicing taking the exam.

Coursework
If you can take a stats course, do so. If your school offers coursework that teaches research strategies, take it.
If your major doesn't have upper division biology courses take some, they'll help you when you read papers / interview.

Public Speaking / Presenting Research
If you can, get experience presenting your research and explaining it to people outside your field. If you're doing a quantitative degree, this is especially important.
I think this is the most important learnable skill for excelling at your interviews.

Chess
Activities like chess are antithetical to model-based hypothesis driven research.