Here is my story!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 semesters to finish with my bachelor in microbiology. Since, I got my AA from a community college I had a good GPA 3.6, I used to study for longer periods and the classes in the community college wasn’t that hard.

When, I transfer to the university my gpa start going down and down till the point I am considering changing my major because I don’t think I will get ever accept it to anything with a 3.1 GPA. I feel burn out; I was planning to finish with a bachelor in business or psychology instead of microbiology. I think I will have better chances to end up with a higher gpa. I don’t care if I have to stay for another semester. I already finish with all my pre-requisites like organic chemistry and biology classes.

What do you guys think? Should I be rejected if I finish with a bachelor in business or other easy major? I like science, but I don’t feel I am smart enough to finish a bachelor in science. I am also very worry because I don’t know if I will be able to handle dental school or any other school. Please share your advice, I appreciate it your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I have 2 semesters to finish with my bachelor in microbiology. Since, I got my AA from a community college I had a good GPA 3.6, I used to study for longer periods and the classes in the community college wasn’t that hard.

When, I transfer to the university my gpa start going down and down till the point I am considering changing my major because I don’t think I will get ever accept it to anything with a 3.1 GPA. I feel burn out; I was planning to finish with a bachelor in business or psychology instead of microbiology. I think I will have better chances to end up with a higher gpa. I don’t care if I have to stay for another semester. I already finish with all my pre-requisites like organic chemistry and biology classes.

What do you guys think? Should I be rejected if I finish with a bachelor in business or other easy major? I like science, but I don’t feel I am smart enough to finish a bachelor in science. I am also very worry because I don’t know if I will be able to handle dental school or any other school. Please share your advice, I appreciate it your help.

As long as you have the pre-reqs in, you will probably be better off changing to a different major. Don't worry about dental school till you get in. If you can get yourself in, I'm sure you can get yourself out.

Coming from personal experience, just keep your head up and persevere through the difficulty. It's times like these that build and define your character, don't second guess your own intelligence, if you have the determination and the passion, you can achieve anything you want if you put your mind to it. A 3.1 GPA is not horrible, but remember that your DAT scores will also play a huge role in whether or not your accepted into dental school. I recently attended a speech given by a local dentist who served 10 years in the military with his wife, a pediatric dentist, who told me that if you can handle Organic chemistry in undergrad, that dental school would be no problem whatsoever. He said that specific course was more difficult than any other course that he took in dental school. Anyways, don't give up, lol. Keep your head up and never forget that you have to WORK in order to achieve what you really desire. If you really THAT unmotivated to continue earning your degree in Microbiology, then change your major, but imho, I would just stick it through.

Members don't see this ad :)
Changing the major will be red flag for admission commitee. I assume you will do well in your DAT!
handeling heavy load courses in dental school is big concern for admission people.

Sorry to hijack your thread here but, what do you guys recommend as majors for Pre-Dental students? Microbiology seems hardcore and it seems to be a GPA killer. What is a good major that will look good when applying to D-School and keep your GPA high?

You know I'm in the same situation as you. Don't feel to down, I had the that exact same feeling a week ago. Luckily a lot of my friends and people on here tell me not to give up. I also had similar gpa like you transferring from a CC. Then when I got to the unviversity my gpa went down like crazy. Now its the same as yours lol mayb even lower after this stupid calculus 2 class. I mean I'm doing good in all my classes which I should of cause I really like biology. But they just make you take other courses to finish your bachelors such as cal 3 which I really suck at math. I spend so much time on the biology courses to make high grades, but the math course bring my gpa down. So now I decided to change into a psychology major. I only have 3 prerequisites left for predental, and I already took 3 advance biology courses. I plan on taking 2 more advance biology course and finish my bachelor in psychology in 1 1/2 years. Good look to you man. If you already taken most classes for your major, dont change your major. It be a waste to start all over.

i really dont get people who ask "what major should i do". you should do whatever you like enough to do for the rest of your life. what if you dont get into dental school? what if something terrible happens and you cant go to dental school for whatever reason?

if you cant see yourself in a career that requires the degree you are seeking, its probably not a good idea to be in it. that and you'll probably do poorly in classes that you arent interested in since you wont be motivated to study.