Here is your chance to get your questions answered

Started by pipetman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That makes total sense. Guess I will listen to it some other time.

My mistake, it's not 9pm PST, it's 9pm EST. So the countdown timer is incorrect pretty much. The event is already over. 🙄

I am listening to it right now. You just have to click the LISTEN button located near the event description (ie. NOT the bigger listen button at the top; that one doesn't work)
 
13 minutes in, and my initial impression is that Dr. Harkless sounds quite defensive after getting asked about his promise to generate new residencies in So-Cal.

Also, the deans fighting for the 'microphone' and interrupting each other constantly ....kind of awkward.
 
Temple Dean is kicking ass

42 min: APMA director: "we have around $10 million in reserve which have specific conditions to use in emergency situations only"

Dr. Mattiacci "You don't think this is an emergency?"

Yea his responses are golden.

1 Hour: Dr. Mattiacci "I don't give a damn what the medical doctor thinks. I don't have to impress anybody. Parity is a phased out word, its equality in terms of the post graduate 3 year residency. We treat 74% of the countries foot and ankle problems, and we don't have to kiss anyone's butt to be recognized."

Final impressions: Dr. Mattiacci and the interviewer (Dr. Ribotsky) were the most level-headed. Dr. Jensen was a broken record of vague responses. Question that went unanswered which were brought up by call-in's: why did the profession move to a 3 year residency? Why 'force every students hand' and measure the profession in terms of quantitative surgery hours? Where are the primary care podiatrists who don't want to be certified in RRA? The potential time difference in training suggested (1 year internships vs. 3 year surgical, etc.) may go hand in hand with SCORED APMLE exams (also better written), to bring about another level of student comparison. What do students do who did not match, given the unfortunately low success rate re-applicants?
 
Last edited:
at around the 56 minute mark:

Moderator: "We have a question from a current 3rd year podiatry student: 'What the heck am I supposed to do so I don't end up in a bad spot next year'?"

5 seconds of silence from everyone

Dr. Harkless: "I would say that nothing in life is certain & nothing is guaranteed. I could have been at the Boston marathon and gotten killed last week, but I didn't."


😱 I can't believe he just made that analogy!? 😱 Is this man for real?
 
at around the 56 minute mark:

Moderator: "We have a question from a current 3rd year podiatry student: 'What the heck am I supposed to do so I don't end up in a bad spot next year'?"

5 seconds of silence from everyone

Dr. Harkless: "I would say that nothing in life is certain & nothing is guaranteed. I could have been at the Boston marathon and gotten killed last week, but I didn't."


😱 I can't believe he just made that analogy!? 😱 Is this man for real?

Answer: Work hard, pass your boards and hope the pass rate falls back to where it typically is. For those students earlier in the curriculum force your college to have some academic integrity.
 
at around the 56 minute mark:

Moderator: "We have a question from a current 3rd year podiatry student: 'What the heck am I supposed to do so I don't end up in a bad spot next year'?"

5 seconds of silence from everyone

Dr. Harkless: "I would say that nothing in life is certain & nothing is guaranteed. I could have been at the Boston marathon and gotten killed last week, but I didn't."


😱 I can't believe he just made that analogy!? 😱 Is this man for real?

That's bad... real bad
 
at around the 56 minute mark:

Moderator: "We have a question from a current 3rd year podiatry student: 'What the heck am I supposed to do so I don't end up in a bad spot next year'?"

5 seconds of silence from everyone

Dr. Harkless: "I would say that nothing in life is certain & nothing is guaranteed. I could have been at the Boston marathon and gotten killed last week, but I didn't."


😱 I can't believe he just made that analogy!? 😱 Is this man for real?

FACE PALM!!

All this talk about "tomorrow".. We will see if it really happens. I am hoping it does for all those that are just waiting for a spot.
 
To be fair to Dr. H, he did have some good things to say later on. And winning a debate doesn't make one a better dean. There is no correlation there.

In the very general picture, I'm glad that the people in charge of our education are highly concerned and treating this problem as a 'crisis'. I was afraid they would brush it off but that was not the case.