Heres my **Optometry Situation**

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighlyFanatic

sup?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

ive been a lurker on the OD forum forever, but i took it to a new level. :D

Basically, I'm a 3rd year undergrad student and I'm gettin a BSc. in Pharmacology. My grades in first year were 7.4, then a 6.9 in 2nd year (9 point scale) for a cumulative average of 7.15. I think this works out to a GPA of 3.18 (but lets just say 3.10).

In Canada, the University of Alberta is recognized for its rigorous undergrad program. We even had a SUNY optometry guy tell us that they look at Alberta graduates more favorably. But still grades are grades :(

In all honesty, is this competitive enough to get into University of Houston, and ICO?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is fine. Of course you can't bomb the OAT, but if you get around a 280 (hopefully higher) you probably have nothing to worry about. Make sure you have medical experience/patient contact. Shadow an OD or two. I really think you will be ok.

Good Luck

You should be competitive for UHCO... like rpames said try to get as much OD experience as you can.. and shoot for at least a 320 on the OAT. If you have any UHCO specific questions let me know.. there are quite a few UHCO students here (even though most of them lurk) and most will be happy to answer questions. I'm sure you've also noticed the dominant presence of ICO students ( and newly accepted students) ;)

Good luck! let us know if you have more questions.
cpw

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yea, i forgot to mention somethin else..... i met an optometrist a while back, i started shadowing him (i've spent 3 full saturdays with him so far, observing).

Anyways, he offered me a job at his main clinic...and I start working there (as a helper) starting December 17th! im excited.

The doc told me the last girl that worked there had lotsa fun, and got accepted into the Opt college in tennessee, i cant remember what its called again.

What other extracirricular achievements/pursuits have you guys and gals had, thats helped you?

The school in Memphis is the Southern College of Optometry.

Other extracurriculars.. I don't know if they "helped" me to get in.. but they were fun.

I was in the Univ. Of Texas Longhorn Band (yeah, free bowl games!)
I played in the basketball band (yes, I'm a sports junkie)
I was in the pre-pharmacy association until I quit wanting to go to pharm school
I volunteered with a doggie rescue organization (and for the SPCA)
I compete in a dog sport called flyball (which brought up many an interview question and raised eyebrow)

Anyway, I don't think any of these "helped" me as far as getting in.. but it did show that I did something other than study in college and made me a more balanced and well rounded person.

I'd much rather have a life and get decent grades than have no life and get straight A's.

;) :D

Ahh, a fellow canadian...

Is Dr. Johnston still doing those recruitment seminars?

He visited us at UBC a while back and from what he told us, most of it is true. Undergrad institations are definitely taken into account and UofA is an excellent school. You'll have a good chance at SUNY, but just be sure to excel on your OAT. Because it's a level playing field for that exam, they'll really scutinize that score, given your lower GPA. Your undergrad inistitution will be given consideration, but it really comes down to how well you do on the OAT. Aim for 330 cummulative or higher.

As an aside, at least at NEWENCO, canadians are usually in the top 1/3 of the class in terms of opt school gpa. The cirriculum at UA should well prepare you for the rigors of opt school.

Originally posted by vtrain
Ahh, a fellow canadian...

Is Dr. Johnston still doing those recruitment seminars?

He visited us at UBC a while back and from what he told us, most of it is true.

:laugh: yea!!

He's a cool guy but don't buy into that crap about canadians being able to claim in-state tuition after the first year. It ain't true.

Tony,
I am currently a 1st yaer @ UAB-Opt in Alabama. I would agree that 3.1-3.2 is okay. You are in a good position because you have another year to make high scores...this looks good to the admissions people. I would argue about the 280 OAT, 320 should be your cut-off with the grades. My reasoning is that the average for pretty much the past five entering classes at UAB is around 320-330. So score really high there and definitely shadow the O.D. That looks really good. By the way, UAB does accept international students as well...