Here's my stats, should I postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunyDom123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying for the summer, mainly using EK with some KA and Kaplan mixed in. My GPA ended up around a 3.5 as I had around 3.0 after Sophomore year when I switched to Bio from Engineering, so my final 2 years were around 3.8. But since my GPA isn't that impressive, I figure I have to compensate with a great MCAT. My test in scheduled for August 25th, I'm debating switching my date to September 10th for a few more days of full lengths.

My FL's have been:

Kaplan 1: 505
Che/Phy: 124
CARS: 127
Bio/Biochem: 127
Psy/Soc: 125

Kaplan 9: 501
Che/Phy: 124
CARS: 125

Kaplan 2: 502
Che/Phy: 125
CARS: 125

EK FL 1: 67%
(Started after 2 hrs of failing to get Kaplan FL to run smoothly. Head wasn't in it from the start)

Che/Phy: 51% - was absolutely bent over and taken advantage of, didn't come close to finishing and ended up having to skip the last few passages just to do Q stems and make random guesses if I did't know it immediately)
CARS: 70%
Bio/Biochem: 75%
Psy/Soc: 73%

Members don't see this ad.

It would be silly if your goal is a 508+ you are already most likely at that range, just seems you need work on C/P. Work out some practice passages in your weak area and I think you are fine. I never scored as well on Kaplan as you before my first MCAT and I got a 509. Take the AAMC Unscored if you really want a better idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you really think you can scale a Kaplan score up that much? From what I've read on SDN most students are freaking out over scoring 505-507 consistently on the FLs. As far as Che/Phy goes, can you recommend some top sources for practice? I've been doing EK and Kap but the questions seem so far from what I see on the exams

Do you really think you can scale a Kaplan score up that much? From what I've read on SDN most students are freaking out over scoring 505-507 consistently on the FLs. As far as Che/Phy goes, can you recommend some top sources for practice? I've been doing EK and Kap but the questions seem so far from what I see on the exams
Yeah I got a 501 on Kaplan a week before my first test, you good. Everyone freaks out over nothing on SDN ignore them. For C/P it depends on your weak area. If it is physics/gen chem I liked TPR/EK. For Biochemistry the AAMC section Banks are your best bet followed by EK and Khan academy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks for the reassurance Roayer. If anyone else has their two cents or related experience, I'd still be interested to here everyone out

I scored 504 on my Kaplan FL about 2 weeks out and got a 511 on the real thing. My AAMC scored practice was the closest to the real score vs Kaplan and TPR. I know the same is true for most. Best of luck!!

I agree with my fellow June warriors, I got 495 and 499 on Kaplan 1 and 2 respectively, averaged 505 over Next Step 1-4, scored 514 on the real thing.

Really, that's very surprising that there is that big of a score difference. Has anyone tried an EK exam?

Really, that's very surprising that there is that big of a score difference. Has anyone tried an EK exam?
Yes I did them all for my retake. Scored 70, 74, 80, 84 so take those with a grain of salt since I don't have a score to compare it with. They were very difficult but I was very happy I did them.

the trend line with Kaplan is +14.2 ... So a 499 + 14.2 is about a 514ish... not surprised.
That seems awfully high. I could believe 10, maybe more for people scoring above 505 on Kaplan consistently but damn. I sure hope that holds.

That seems awfully high. I could believe 10, maybe more for people scoring above 505 on Kaplan consistently but damn. I sure hope that holds.

There's a guy who took 100s of publicly posted scores and correlated Kap FL scores, did the analysis and trend lines. (Yes, I realize the data sheet could be easily skewed but with that many people posting, it's likely his stats took some of the skewed numbers out)... anyway, it came to +14.2 within I think +/- 2 points.

On the answer threads, it seems people are falling within that limit. So, good luck!!!

(and yes, I too would love to see that come true)

I got a 64% on EK 1 and a 63% on EK 3 and got a 509 on the real thing. I got a 515 on the aamc scored full length so I think nerves got to me a bit on the actual day, but most people who get above 60% on EK get above a 508 on the real deal. You're fine, you need to take the aamc unscored and scored practice tests to see how you're doing on aamc material, and don't neglect the section banks either.

How far above 60% is okay to predict a 508 range? I got a 62% on EK3 and 61% on EK4 so I'm a little worried as to where I stand