0.75% bupivacaine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lecithin5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never really saw this until recently at a surgical center. Anyone ever use it for surgical anesthetic blocks? Obviously not ideal as compared to ropi, but from a purely onset and dense/efficacious standpoint, how would you rank the following (let's say, for a single shot supraclavicular): 20cc of 0.75% bupi vs. 20 cc of 0.75% ropi vs. a combo of 10cc 0.5% bupi plus 10cc of 2% lido?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never used 0.75% for anything besides retrobulbars/peribulbars . I guess 10 ml of 0.75% is not terribly high total amount of bupivicaine but I'd rather use 20 ml 0.5% ropi/bupi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
For time of onset I'd rather mix in some 2% lido rather than higher concentration bupi. We have a busy hand surgeon at our surgery center and I'll do supraclav or axillary blocks when we get in room and are hooking up monitors and the patient is ready for a MAC by the time the drapes go up

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think 0.75 bupi was still commercially available except for the heavy spinal kit vials. There were a few OB deaths from epidural use of 0.75%. Even though total dose may be the same, a little squirt intravascular with the super concentrated stuff = :dead:.

I didn't think 0.75 bupi was still commercially available except for the heavy spinal kit vials. There were a few OB deaths from epidural use of 0.75%. Even though total dose may be the same, a little squirt intravascular with the super concentrated stuff = :dead:.
Interestingly, the medical supply company that the asc uses readily sells 20 cc vials of 0.75 bupi, but not ropi of the same concentration. I was surprised by that

I don't think you should use .75%. It seems silly....