HES HCP/ALM question

Started by DannyV
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DannyV

cant touch this...
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey there guys,
These forums have been very helpful, so I thought I would get some opinions on a couple of thoughts I have in mind. 🙂

So here we go...:scared:

I have applied to HES HCP program, and with the stats I have (uGPA 3.4 with sGPA 3.38), Dr. Fixsen, the director of HCP, said I should be fine. However, Dr. Fixsen said that, in general, if you already have had too many science classes (which applies to me since I am a Biology major) then HCP might not be too suitable for you. As I am waiting for my official decision in the mail, I have thought of attending ALM instead. I believe my undergraduate GPA isn't that bad that I need major boost; in fact, if I went to HCP I would only probably boost it up to 3.55 MAX. 😱

Now I am sure some of you will refer me to SMPs, but here is the deal. Some of the SMPs are career changers and not for me since I have taken premed courses. AND MOST OF THEM require that applicant to have an official MCAT score, which I don't have and I am not ready to take it at this point. So, without MCAT, I am pretty much optioned out from almost all the SMPs.

Now, I am thinking ALM at HES. Reason? It's a Masters in Liberal Arts with my desired concerntration (biology). I can take the same upper level courses from that I would've taken in HES HCP, expect this one would count as a grad GPA. So the question is, would 3.55 uGPA alone look good for med schools? Or, 3.4 uGPA with a (possible:luck::idea:) 4.0 gGPA look good? I know that much of the med school decisions are based on undergrad GPA, but even if I take HCP courses, I believe I won't be getting much out of it. But there is an AWESOME option to be sponsored in HCP, while in ALM, I can get individual recommendation letters. There are pros and cons to both HCP and ALM. 😳

Many people say that ALM is finished in 3 yrs on average, but after researching I figured you only need 10 courses at HES to earn the degree. So, if I took 3 coures per semester for 3 semesters, thats 9, and 1 in the fourth semester while working on the thesis then wouldn't that work out? So I can possibly finish it in two years right? (And of course, I would be working on my thesis through out the 2 years)😎

So, please help me decide which would be a better path for me. I took my first practice MCAT and got a 29 (I haven't started studying yet, so I believe I can probably pull a 32-34 on the actual after studying) So, with considering each of these paths, with that hypothetical MCAT score, which would make me a stronger candidate for med school apps?😕

Also, if there are any SMPs that don't require MCATs, but also have good promises then please point them out. 😛

Many thanks in advance!😀
-DannyV
 
Danny-

I'm currently an ALM guy-in Bio. In most respects an ALM is very similar to an SMP minus any type of linkage-however-you certainly are getting a more specialized concentration-and a more appealing program to adcoms than a general SMPer per the thesis requirement.

With that said- two years is an incredibly short time in which to complete the program. The thesis requires significant laboratory research and advisement coupled with a heavy course load. I began my ALM study in my first year of the HCP by taking 3 ALM classes-so while on paper I will finish the program in two-it actually took three---so keep this in mind if you intend on doing it---it's a rather long process and is a difficult degree to obtain because of Harvard's rigorous academic standards-especially pertaining to the thesis-which is usually over 100 pages.

Finally-you will not really be a Harvard student until you are accepted to the program. While HCP is admissions based from the outset-the ALM admission is contingent upon your performance in three prelim classes-which are applied toward your ALM. During the period of taking these 3 classes you are eligible for no financial aid i.e. stafford etc. so each approx. $2000.00 class will come right out of your pocket-plus registration fees and accommodation in Cambridge.


However, if you are fine with this criteria then the ALM is a great program and well respected-as is any Harvard Degree- among adcoms.

good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey,
thanks for the reply...

so you said 2 yrs isnt enough...so lets say i come to harvard in fall 2010...in fall 2010, i would take the three pre-ALM courses...then spring i would start ALM....taking 3 more classes...and 1 in the summer and 2 in the fall.....so from fall to fall (1.5 yrs) i should be done with my courses required for the ALM degree....

now the thesis, if I started "searching" (not starting) for a very well thesis topic in fall 2010..and get on it in spring.....then i would have all the way until spring 2012 to finish the thesis (1.5 yrs of actually performing and writing and all...) ....wouldn't that be enough? you did HCP...so u had to spend a year in HCP or so....for me...it would be like i described...so i mean...you still think i wont be able to finish it in two years? .... with me describing what i have in mind....you sstill think it would take a good 3 yrs? ....if so, then i cant apply to medical schools in my second year of ALM right?

even though HCP isnt a linkage program...it has a known 90% chance of medical school acceptance....so is there any percentage for people coming out with ALM?

thank you!
-DannyV
 
Well I should note that people have completed the program in two-though it is somewhat rare.

Your plan is sound from the course standpoint-however, they have numerous rules that pertain to the thesis-first you cannot formally beginit until after you have taken 6 ALM courses-second, if you intend on graduating in June then you have to submit your thesis proposal-usually 15-30 pages-by like oct.1 -but you also have to be placed with a Harvard research advisor before working on the thesis-finally you must have your completed thesis turned in for approval by April 1. so 3 and 3 will let you begin the thesis process in June of year 1---it will take some time to be placed with an advisor-and remember you will have to be placed in a lab and conduct research for the thesis as well. Thus, in order to graduate in June of the second year-you will have to pund out that proposal with a plan for your lab work research by oct. 1 then do the research and write the fully completed thesis by April 1. It is doable but will be difficult-you can do it in two but you must be prepared for the onslaught of the thesis year.

But yes I am applying in my ALM year 2 to med schools-letting adcoms know that I am finishing my masters a Harvard etc...so I am taking one class and writing my thesis during my gap year of interviews.


I don't know about stats for ALM grads into med school-I would assume that they are quite high-becuase the program is much more rigorous than a general SMP--and many persons use that ALM to pursue Doctoral work-thus, the ALM would demonstrate the capacity to excel in medical school.

All the Best!


p.s. sorry if this post has errors- I just got paged as I was finishing this post and am on my way to the hospital to scrub in and observe a STAT interventional cath-per the cardio call rotation-and I have to be there in 20 minutes so I worte this without proofreading it! 🙂
 
DannyV-
Which of the core prereqs do you still need to take? You must have taken 2 semesters of biology since that was your major. What about chem, ochem, and physics? If you got a 29 on a practice MCAT without studying, then I suspect you've already taken all of them. Why not just spend a little more time studying for the MCAT, take the MCAT, and apply straight to med school?
 
thanks allopathic, as usual, the best answer in the house!!! haha thank you...i guess i will just spend 3 yrs. =)

sketo, i knew somebody would bring this up. first, to answer your question, yes I have taken all the prereqs. second, the reason I don't want to apply like the way you suggested is because 1) I don't feel like I will be able to give time to study for MCATs as I am finishing my senior year with full of hard classes 2) I dont want to rush MCATs since I want to give it all I have in one try 3) I don't want to, for any reason, get rejected from medical schools because then I don't know how to improve as a 2nd year applicant 4) If I apply, I have nothing precisous to do while in the gap year which will make me look bad in interviews, if I got any.

I don't know but I have many reasons for not applying at this point. Some are stupid reasons, some are legit but most of all I AM JUST NOT READY! =) lol
 
Hey,
I'm planning on starting HES classes in Spring 2010 (I'm moving to the Boston area for a research job). After being accepted into the ALM program. Do you know if we can get sponsorship/committee letter for med school without being in HCP?

Thanks!