• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Hess's Law

HowAboutDAT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
New York, New York
  1. Pre-Dental
    Given the following information, what is the heat of formation of methane?

C(s) + O2 (g) --> CO2 (g) Delta H = -94.1 kcal/mol
    H2 (g) + 1/2 O2 (g)--> H2O (l) Delta H = -68.3 kcal.mol
    CO2 (g) + 2H2O --> 2 O2 (g) + CH4 (g) Delta H = 212.8 kcal.mol

I realize the next step is to get the "mother" equation, but when you get that, do you have to balance the equation leaving you with..

C + 2H2 --> CH4?

Thus the Delta Hf ~ -20?

Correct answer: -17.9

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
    Mar 2, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    1. Pre-Dental
      the "mother" equation should be the balanced equation.

the second equation should be doubled to get your 1 mole of O2, so that it can add up with the 1 mole of O2 in the first equation to get the two moles to cancel out that are on the other side of the third equation. doubling that second equation also doubles its delta H. canceling everything out should then get you the balanced equation

HowAboutDAT

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jul 24, 2008
      New York, New York
      1. Pre-Dental
        the "mother" equation should be the balanced equation.

the second equation should be doubled to get your 1 mole of O2, so that it can add up with the 1 mole of O2 in the first equation to get the two moles to cancel out that are on the other side of the third equation. doubling that second equation also doubles its delta H. canceling everything out should then get you the balanced equation

ahh i see, but does it matter if you balance the mother equation or the intermediate steps?

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
        Mar 2, 2009
        Long Island, NY
        1. Pre-Dental
          i don't really get your allusion to the "mother" equation. the way you do these things is:

2 (H2 (g) + 1/2 O2 (g)--> H2O (l)) Delta H = 2 (-68.3 kcal.mol)

each mini equation within itself is balanced. your very first step should be to get the same numbers of products and reactants that are on both sides of what will be the overall equation, what i guess you're terming the "mother" equation. so i guess the answer to your question is yes, it matters. that's how you GET the balanced overall equation. does that clear things up?

About the Ads

HowAboutDAT

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jul 24, 2008
          New York, New York
          1. Pre-Dental
            i don't really get your allusion to the "mother" equation. the way you do these things is:

2 (H2 (g) + 1/2 O2 (g)--> H2O (l)) Delta H = 2 (-68.3 kcal.mol)

each mini equation within itself is balanced. your very first step should be to get the same numbers of products and reactants that are on both sides of what will be the overall equation, what i guess you're terming the "mother" equation. so i guess the answer to your question is yes, it matters. that's how you GET the balanced overall equation. does that clear things up?

Yup, thanks man

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.