hey all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMLEHATER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
first post finally gotten through everything and have 3 weeks till my test. Now im at the quandry ive yet to receive a decent answer to. For all of you who have gathered the info or who have taken the exam, how would you go about molecular and cell bio. I have read previous threads and am not really getting a clue from them. Thanks for any help you may provide. Oh due to previous posts stating expectations i am hoping to get near a 230. So let me know what you think I should do.

Members don't see this ad.

I read HY Cell and Molecular Biology and the Kaplan chapters in the Biochem book and felt they were sufficient. I did not leave my exam with the thought that I had been given a large number of Mol Bio questions but there were certainly several.

Just like any other subject you must know the basic principle very well and apply them to odd questions. Also, do not overlook the very fundamental concepts as they ask those topics and they are easy questions if you paid attention to the basics.

RJ

thanks man. I just started on HY cell and molecular its a nice read is actually clearing up a couple of points I was not getting about certain topics in other areas. Now all I want to be is prepared, do i need to find a way to get these Kaplan notes or is HY sufficient to have a capable knowledge base to answer these questions.

USMLEHATER said:
thanks man. I just started on HY cell and molecular its a nice read is actually clearing up a couple of points I was not getting about certain topics in other areas. Now all I want to be is prepared, do i need to find a way to get these Kaplan notes or is HY sufficient to have a capable knowledge base to answer these questions.

Kaplan was a little easier for me to stay awake while reviewing and I thought the diagrams were slightly better but the general information is the same. I would say if you have 7 hours and access to Kaplan Biochem, it is well worth the time. I remember at least 3 questions on my Step 1 where I had a mental image of a Kaplan diagram that gave me the correct answer. The hox/homeobox section in HY was helpful for me on a couple of occasions as well (basics).

The other bonus with Kaplan is that there are questions at the end of every chapter and I found Mol Bio questions difficult to find and so getting access to that book just for the questions may be worth it.

RJ

Haven't actually been through it because I don't have time at this point, but I just looked through the new Lipincott's biochem and it looks pretty good for mol. bio (at a glance). I personally used Kaplan but dont feel prepared for any out of the ordinary questions.

In general the new Lipincott's looks quite good (maybe it's all the colorful pictures fooling me). Much better than the last version at least.