Hey All

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCurious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently visited a DO for an ankle injury, he was an orthopedic surgeon. Being treated by MD's my whole life, this was my first exposure. I really was fascinated by the different approach, and much friendlier atmosphere. Till now I was only going to apply to Allo schools, but now am having second thought and feel I will apply to both. However, I noticed that it is required to shadow a DO, although I would love to, I feel it will be way to cumbersome since I have to also shadow MD's. Do some schools allow for LOR's from MD, and if so would anyone of you guys mind listing the ones that allow for it. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There are only a few schools that require a LOR from a DO. Most schools strongly encourage one, but they will accept a LOR from a MD. Check out http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

DrCurious said:
I recently visited a DO for an ankle injury, he was an orthopedic surgeon. Being treated by MD's my whole life, this was my first exposure. I really was fascinated by the different approach, and much friendlier atmosphere. Till now I was only going to apply to Allo schools, but now am having second thought and feel I will apply to both. However, I noticed that it is required to shadow a DO, although I would love to, I feel it will be way to cumbersome since I have to also shadow MD's. Do some schools allow for LOR's from MD, and if so would anyone of you guys mind listing the ones that allow for it. Thanks in advance.
I would say it would be better to just shadow DO's and not worry about MD's if you already have other healthcare experience. I think it would be more beneficial for your DO apps to have shadowed a DO than it would be for your MD apps to have shadowed a MD. Does this make sense? Just my opinion.

None of my MD apps really ever mentionedanything about shadowing. However, I suppose it would be nice to have a LOR from an MD for your MD apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never shadowed a DO and all my letters of rec came from an MD and I got into a DO program. Out of the 3 DO applications I submitted, DMU, CCOM, and KCOM, I did not have to have a DO LOR at all. It was strongly encouraged but not necessary. When I was asking a DO for a letter of rec, he was partnered with the MD that I worked on a study with, he asked why I was asking him for the LOR and not the MD that I actually did the work for, and I told him that it says a DO LOR is strongly encouraged and he said that is just something they write down but don't really care either way so I got the MD to write me a LOR. You will be fine with out shadowing a DO or getting a DO letter, just be prepared to answer the question "Why DO?" in your interview.

Lindsay

You don't need a DO letter for Western/COMP, MSUCOM, TCOM, NYCOM, PCOM, CCOM, and KCOM for sure. I didn't have one when I applied.

I don't think Touro (both NV and Mare Island) require a DO LOR.