Hey guys! Help would be greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dino2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been reading through many of the threads posted on the site and haven't seen one about a person in my situation. So, Freshman year I went to a big state school. I took pretty tough classes because I never really had to work hard to do well in highschool. I partied, thought I could handle school and going out, and ended up with a 3.5 gpa. I knew that wasn't anything impressive, so I transferred out to another state school (a smaller one) where I didn't have to dorm and wasn't as tempted to go out. I ended up getting A's in physics and organic chemistry first semester. (got a 4.0) second semester hasn't finished yet but I'm expecting much of the same (4.0 so far, orgo 2 is the only class that did not come in yet). My overall gpa will come out to about a 3.7 which, I've read, is pretty decent for med school applications. (or is it?) Does transferring out, however look bad on my transcript, especially since there was such a dramatic change? Will they think that I left the school in order to take the easy way out? Should I teansfer back to the other school in order to show that I can handle their workload?
Also, assuming my grades stay relatively constant and I am able to receive at least a 30 on the MCAT, do I have a decent chance at gaining acceptance into medical school? I have done volunteering and am going to do some bone marrow research next year with one of my professors. Anyfeedback is much appreciated!
P.S. I wrote this from my iPhone so I'm sorry of some words were left out!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I've been reading through many of the threads posted on the site and haven't seen one about a person in my situation. So, Freshman year I went to a big state school. I took pretty tough classes because I never really had to work hard to do well in highschool. I partied, thought I could handle school and going out, and ended up with a 3.5 gpa. I knew that wasn't anything impressive, so I transferred out to another state school (a smaller one) where I didn't have to dorm and wasn't as tempted to go out. I ended up getting A's in physics and organic chemistry first semester. (got a 4.0) second semester hasn't finished yet but I'm expecting much of the same (4.0 so far, orgo 2 is the only class that did not come in yet).
1) My overall gpa will come out to about a 3.7 which, I've read, is pretty decent for med school applications. (or is it?)
2) Does transferring out, however look bad on my transcript, especially since there was such a dramatic change?
3) Will they think that I left the school in order to take the easy way out?
4) Should I teansfer back to the other school in order to show that I can handle their workload?

5) Also, assuming my grades stay relatively constant and I am able to receive at least a 30 on the MCAT, do I have a decent chance at gaining acceptance into medical school? I have done volunteering and am going to do some bone marrow research next year with one of my professors. Anyfeedback is much appreciated!
1) Yes, a 3.7 cGPA is very good.

2) No.

3) A 3.5 isn't so terrible a cGPA that that would be my first thought. I'm sure you can think of a better reason, if asked: closer to home, cheaper, more opportunities for XXXX, etc.

4) No.

5) Stats-wise, you'd be in decent shape, but an acceptance is related to many other factors: leniency of in-state schools, avoiding an overly-selective school list, LORs, ECs, clean legal record, not applying late, good interview skills, well-written essays, etc.

Okay, thank you for your advice. I guess at this point Ill just keep trying to bring up my gpa a little more before applications, and try to volunteer more.