Hey guys, I need advice on what I should do...PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolj0189

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am currently a junior undergraduate student. I am taking a year off before I apply dental schools. I will be applying next summer when I would typically graduate, and I think I am going to stay an extra semester to finish classes and graduate in the fall. I was a psychology major, but my science GPA is pretty low (mid-high 2's) so I decided to switch to a biology major and stick with psychology as my minor because I am only one class away from that. I know next year is going to be crucial for me because I am taking bio 2, orgo 1+2, and 6 upper div bio classes...plus the DAT. I feel I need to ace almost every class to get in to a school. My question is based on all that...Should I keep the new bio major and take all those sciences classes and stay the extra semester. I am keeping in mind though that if I don't ace almost every one of them I will be losing another year from entering dental school because I doubt I will get in the first year and I will have to take a Master's program, or should I just stick to a psych major and finish out my pre-reqs for dental school. I'll have a few science electives as well. If I did that, I can graduate on time and not even apply to see if i "would" get in right away and go straight into a Master's program to succeed in before I apply. Thank you so much for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously we can't tell you what to do.

But, I can tell you right now, mid-high 2s science GPA woun't cut it. You will need to bring that up. So the best way to bring it up is by taking additional science courses (in your case those 6 upper level sciences). After you graduate next year, you could either do post-bacc (take more upper level science) or do a masters in some biology related field. Me personaly, I wouldn't touch a masters program even if it was given to me for free cause its a "do it all or don't do it" kinda thing. Once you start a masters program, many dental schools are going to expect you to finish it and finish it with good marks.

Here is my suggestion, You have another year to go, don't worry about applying to dental schools, don't worry about your DAT yet, don't worry about ANYTHING BUT your GPA, you need to work your butt off and fix that undergrad GPA.