**Hey Hey Hey**Any Engineering Majors out there get into a D.O. Program???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jar046

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I was curious of how many people with an engineering degree are out there trying to get into, or that have already gotten into a D.O. program. If you have gotten into a D.O. program then please list your engineering major, school accepted into, and if you dont mind your stats? Or if your about to apply then you can do the same.

If you did get into med school with a engineering degree then how prepared do you felt you were compared to your current classmates especially your biology peers? And is there any advice you would give to fellow students following in your current footpaths? Such as classes to take while still in undergrad, or any thing else you feel that is useful to an engineering major.

I figured I would start a thread just for engineering majors since I cant seem to find much about it on this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

My first semester in college I was an engineering major. I think I dropped every class.

Well I guess Ill go first. I am a chemical engineering major planning to either apply this upcoming year 2009 or will apply in 2010. I am planning on trying to take the mcat this summer, and I will then re-evaluate my situation from there and see where it takes me.

My current stats are a little unknown due to how aacomas calculates their gpa's. I am unsure of exactly what engineering courses will count towards my science gpa. Is it all of them including my chemical engineering courses or just my general engineering courses cause this can make a difference. Anyways I have estimated about a 3.18 cummulative and a science of about 3.7ish as of right now. Hopefully both will continue to rise.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I was curious of how many people with an engineering degree are out there trying to get into, or that have already gotten into a D.O. program. If you have gotten into a D.O. program then please list your engineering major, school accepted into, and if you dont mind your stats? Or if your about to apply then you can do the same.

If you did get into med school with a engineering degree then how prepared do you felt you were compared to your current classmates especially your biology peers? And is there any advice you would give to fellow students following in your current footpaths? Such as classes to take while still in undergrad, or any thing else you feel that is useful to an engineering major.

I figured I would start a thread just for engineering majors since I cant seem to find much about it on this forum.

I've got my degree in Mechanical Engineering and go to DCOM. I interviewed at 4 schools last year and was accepted into 3 (DCOM, CCOM, and LECOM-E). My stats were over gpa = 3.0, sci gpa 3.2, 28 MCAT.

Obviously, I don't have the same knowledge of biology as bio majors, but things have gone fine for me. I don't feel like I am at any disadvantage at all, but there are definitely things I may need to look at longer b/c I haven't seen it as much. But overall, I don't study any more or less than the average student at my school, regardless of major. I think one of the things I have over bio/chem majors, due to my degree, is the ability to see things in my head, rotate them, spin them, take them apart, and see spatial patterns a little bit easier, especially in anatomy. But other than that, I don't think one major has a huge advantage over another. If that were the case, then those majors would not be accepted. We even have a philosophy major in our class and he is doing well. Med school is just a completely different beast than undergrad, so everyone pretty much starts out on the same page. As for advice, I would say to take a biomechanics class. Its something you will use and its a nice way of incorporating engineering and medicine. If you want to take other bio-engineering courses as well, then do that too. I would recommend taking a couple of upper level biology courses, such as biochem, genetics, and especially human anatomy (if you can get one class that is anatomy and physiology, then that would be great too). I think those would do just fine, and if you want, you can add others too. Don't go crazy with them b/c you want to finish your degree too, but those classes I would highly recommend. But definitely don't be discouraged by being in engineering and feeling prepared for medical school. As long as you study hard, you will do just fine.

I'd suggest taking biochemistry, physiology, and genetics. And if you can fit it into your schedule (I know how rigid a Chem E degree plan is), perhaps cell bio.

Well I guess Ill go first. I am a chemical engineering major planning to either apply this upcoming year 2009 or will apply in 2010. I am planning on trying to take the mcat this summer, and I will then re-evaluate my situation from there and see where it takes me.

My current stats are a little unknown due to how aacomas calculates their gpa's. I am unsure of exactly what engineering courses will count towards my science gpa. Is it all of them including my chemical engineering courses or just my general engineering courses cause this can make a difference. Anyways I have estimated about a 3.18 cummulative and a science of about 3.7ish as of right now. Hopefully both will continue to rise.:)

I just looked at my app (wow, 2006 seems so long ago :laugh:) and they do count your enigineering classes into your science gpa. But I think adcoms will look at that and breakdown each science subject and look at those individual gpa's, i.e. bio, chem, physics...basically the classes that any pre-med would be taking, thus giving you a fair shot. So just keep doing well in your classes and you'll be fine. Trust me, adcoms know how hard engineering majors are ;)

This is great lets keep this forum going!!!!!!:)

just make sure you have all your premed reqs done. no need to take classes like biochem and physiology.....if you can do thermo and mass transfer you can do biochem. chemical engineering is by far the toughest major at my university b/c we are ranked really high for it. good luck and mad props doing chem e. lol

just make sure you have all your premed reqs done. no need to take classes like biochem and physiology.....if you can do thermo and mass transfer you can do biochem. chemical engineering is by far the toughest major at my university b/c we are ranked really high for it. good luck and mad props doing chem e. lol

I'm a Kinesiology major, but the DO I shadowed was/is a Mechanical engineer major (he worked in the field for 10 years before changing professions). He once told me that all these people told him to take courses like biochem, genetics, and other classes pre-meds think are going to help them in med school. His comments were after a week or two there was no difference between those that had taken the courses in undergrad and those of us that just did our major course work. I know that he interviewed/accepted at a few MD schools but ultimately chose an acceptance from DMU. So don't let your degree hold you back. I interviewed with a couple art majors that have been accepted, so ADCOMS really don't show a lot of bias when it comes to your major. Good LUCK!!!

I love this tread as I have been wondering how many DO students / applicants have a background in engineering. I did Civil/Environmental Engineering for undergrad and graduated last semester. Currently doing a self directed postbac to finish the organics and biochem. My top schools are DMU, PCOM, CCom and Nova. I will take my mcat this may so hopefully after that I will be able to gauge my chances for these programs. I was wondering however how receptive DO Adcoms are towards engineers. From what i have heard, or more likely read here on SDN, is that they only look at GPA's and not what you studied. I have an overall gpa of 3.39 and science of 3.5 science gpa that includes my engineering coursework. Unfortunately I had a few C+'s and I am worried about how they might respond to that even if they were upper division engineering classes. I will be applying this June so we well see how things go.

I love this tread as I have been wondering how many DO students / applicants have a background in engineering. I did Civil/Environmental Engineering for undergrad and graduated last semester. Currently doing a self directed postbac to finish the organics and biochem. My top schools are DMU, PCOM, CCom and Nova. I will take my mcat this may so hopefully after that I will be able to gauge my chances for these programs. I was wondering however how receptive DO Adcoms are towards engineers. From what i have heard, or more likely read here on SDN, is that they only look at GPA's and not what you studied. I have an overall gpa of 3.39 and science of 3.5 science gpa that includes my engineering coursework. Unfortunately I had a few C+'s and I am worried about how they might respond to that even if they were upper division engineering classes. I will be applying this June so we well see how things go.

This is NOT true.....adcoms do look at your major and gpa is weighted towards that. No, there is no official equation or anything, but there is a difference between an engineering major with a 3.2 gpa and a bio/chem major with a 3.2 gpa. But this does NOT give anyone a reason for slacking off either. Don't try to use a major as a cushion.

BTW, your gpa's are just fine. Do well on the MCAT, get your app in, and don't be afraid to look at other schools than those you listed. You may be surprised by what you find out there....trust me, I know from experience ;)

I'm a Kinesiology major, but the DO I shadowed was/is a Mechanical engineer major (he worked in the field for 10 years before changing professions). He once told me that all these people told him to take courses like biochem, genetics, and other classes pre-meds think are going to help them in med school. His comments were after a week or two there was no difference between those that had taken the courses in undergrad and those of us that just did our major course work. I know that he interviewed/accepted at a few MD schools but ultimately chose an acceptance from DMU. So don't let your degree hold you back. I interviewed with a couple art majors that have been accepted, so ADCOMS really don't show a lot of bias when it comes to your major. Good LUCK!!!

While your post is very true regarding the fact that everyone is on the same page in med school, taking upper level science classes is something every applicant to med school should do. Do you need to have a ton of them....no. Taking 1, 2 or 3 are just fine b/c it is good to be familiar with subject, especially anatomy. That is one class if you take before school, and an intense anatomy course, will put you ahead and make your life a little easier. Biochem is becoming required or highly recommended more and more, so its not a bad idea to take that so you don't limit yourself in school where you can apply. But these classes are more designed to help with the MCAT more than med school b/c they are taught differently in med school compared with undergrad. Genetics, cell bio, physiology, etc. will all be covered on the MCAT and studying for it will be easier if you've taken those classes, IMO. Are they necessary, of course not. But I would definitely take more than just the bare-bones pre-reqs, and it looks good to the adcoms.

I am taking the following upper division post bac bio classes, will this look good?

Genetics
Microbiology
Comparitive Anatomy

Chemistry Upper division:
Biochem

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking the following upper division post bac bio classes, will this look good?

Genetics
Microbiology
Comparitive Anatomy

Chemistry Upper division:
Biochem

:thumbup: Looks fine...anatomy may not be as helpful since it is not strictly human, but it will still help....but that line-up should be fine for you :thumbup:

I got my degree in Bioengineering. I interviewed at 4 schools (DCOM, LECOM-E, AZCOM, Touro-NV). I got accepted to DCOM and LECOM-E and waitlisted at the other two. My GPA was a 3.2 and 28 MCAT.

One thing I will be happy about is never having to do hours of programming or calculating dynamics/heat mass transfer problems and all of those fun classes. I am sad though that all of that stuff we learned will rarely/never be used again unless we do related research. It is true about what Nascardoc said, being an engineering major helped us develop the ability to picture things in your head in a 3D manner which will be really helpful. As for classes outside your major, I do recommend taking biochem, genetics, physiology, human anatomy, and maybe microbio.

I just looked at my app (wow, 2006 seems so long ago :laugh:) and they do count your enigineering classes into your science gpa. But I think adcoms will look at that and breakdown each science subject and look at those individual gpa's, i.e. bio, chem, physics...basically the classes that any pre-med would be taking, thus giving you a fair shot. So just keep doing well in your classes and you'll be fine. Trust me, adcoms know how hard engineering majors are ;)

Engineering classes don't count as part of the bcpm, unless this is different for DO (?) If it is I shouldn't even bother applying DO, because my engineering grades were terrible!

What is included from in my science GPA?

below is a cut and paste from the AACOMAS HELP tab found in the Academic Course Work portion of the application. I believe you will only see this tab after you enter at least one college in the application. Colleges Attended->Academic Course Work->Help:

The Science category would include all courses with subjects of Biology, Organic, Biochemistry, Other Science, Physics, and Inorganic Chemistry. Non-science would include courses with subjects of Math, English, Behavioral Sciences, and Non-science.

These subjects determine GPA computations for meeting college entrance requirements. Each subject will be verified and corrected if necessary.

*note organic chem is listed under Inorganic chem*

Biochemistry
Biochemistry
Physiological Chemistry

Biology/Zoology
Animal Science
Anatomy
Bacteriology
Biology
Botany
Cellular & Molecular Biology
Cellular Physiology
Ecology
Evolution
Genetics
Hematology
Histology
Immunology
Microbiology
Micro-Organisms
Natural Science
Neurology
Oceanography
Parasitology
Pathology
Physiology
Virology
Zoology

Inorganic Chemistry
Chemistry, General
Medical Chemistry
Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Physical Chemistry
Qualitative Analysis
Quantitative Analysis
Readings in Chemistry
Research in Chemistry
Special Topics in Chemistry
Structures & Bonds
Organic Chemistry Bio-Organic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Readings in Organic Chemistry
Special Topics in Organic Chemistry

Other Science
Agricultural Science
Astronomy
Chiropractic
Electronics
Engineering
Epidemiology
Geology
Kinesiology
Medical Technology
Meteorology
Nutrition
Pharmacy
Physical Anthropology
Physical Geography
Physical Science
Physician Assistant
Radiology

Physics
Electricity & Light
Magnetism
Mechanical Heat
Physics
Thermodynamics

To be determined by department
Mental/Physical Illness
Physiological Psychology

English
Bible Literature
Composition
English
Journalism
Literature
Medical Terminology
Poetry
Reading Skills
Rhetoric
Theater Literature

Math
Behavioral Statistics
Biostatistics
Chemical Math
Computer Science
Math

Other Non-Science
Acting
Agriculture
Archeology
Art
Bioethics
Business
Communications
Cultural Geography
Economics
Education
Emergency Med-Tech
Ethics
First Aid
Foreign Language
Forestry
Geography
Government
Health/Personal Hygiene
History
Humanities
Law
Logic
Military Science
Music
Nursing
Occupational Therapy
Philosophy
Physical Education
Physical Therapy
Political Science
Public Health
Public Speaking
Religion
Respiratory Therapy
Social Ethics
Speech
Speech Pathology
Teaching Science
Theater
Theology
Word Processing

Social/Behavioral Science
Anthropology
Community Health
Criminal Justice
Educational Psychology
Ethnic Studies
Human Sexuality
Marriage/Family
Personal Health
Physiological Ethics
Psychology
Social Science
Social Work/Sociology

Man I hope thats the truth b/c my science gpa with my engineering courses would be around a 3.3 vs without them a 3.7. A 3.7 in the sciences will be alot better for me gaining admissions then a 3.3 science gpa. ThankGod

chemical engineering grad here and I am headed to DO school.

Engineering counts as "other sciences". I pretty much got a's and b's in school (more toward b's), which is pretty good for a top 5 engineering program :) but not good enough for many med school.

all med school comes down to looking at your GPA/MCAt/experiences. they dont care about your major.

My advice:
Choose the easiest major in college and just take the needed pre-reqs for premeds. That way your overall GPA stays high. engineering IS HARD and time consuming, what's the point of doing reactor calculations and differential equations if your endpoint will be med school.

According to the 2008 AMCAS Instruction Manual, pg 45, all engineering courses count as 'ENGI' not 'BCPM'

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrevised.pdf

Wait a minute that link is only for AAMC which is the application service for M.D. schools, and by the way included in that BCPM Gpa is your math classes. I dont know about you but I have nearly 30 hours of math classes and my math gpa isnt so hot around a 2.4. AACOMAS doesnt include math in their BCP gpa but they do include the other sciences. Such as engineering. So my biggest question is does that include your disicpline engineering classes as well (such as chemical, biomedical, civil, mechanical, etc...)?

Wait a minute that link is only for AAMC which is the application service for M.D. schools, and by the way included in that BCPM Gpa is your math classes. I dont know about you but I have nearly 30 hours of math classes and my math gpa isnt so hot around a 2.4. AACOMAS doesnt include math in their BCP gpa but they do include the other sciences. Such as engineering. So my biggest question is does that include your disicpline engineering classes as well (such as chemical, biomedical, civil, mechanical, etc...)?

So it appears there is a difference..MD engineering doesn't count, DO it does.

Yes, all engineering courses are counted toward your science gpa. But remember, on your application, AACOMAS breaks down your science gpa by subject, so adcoms will see your bio, chem, physics, and other science gpas. Thus, if your overall science gpa is 3.3 (which is fine, that won't hold you up anywhere), but your bio gpa is 4.0, chem is 3.5, physics is 3.8 and other science (engineering courses) 2.8, the adcom will see that your science gpa is lower b/c of the engineering courses, not b/c of the standard BCP classes.

Yes, all engineering courses are counted toward your science gpa. But remember, on your application, AACOMAS breaks down your science gpa by subject, so adcoms will see your bio, chem, physics, and other science gpas. Thus, if your overall science gpa is 3.3 (which is fine, that won't hold you up anywhere), but your bio gpa is 4.0, chem is 3.5, physics is 3.8 and other science (engineering courses) 2.8, the adcom will see that your science gpa is lower b/c of the engineering courses, not b/c of the standard BCP classes.
Im a Mechanical Engineer (at least thats what my diploma says...). I have been accepted to DCOM for the class of 2012. My overall GPA is like a 3.25, science is like a 3.2, MCAT was 30P the second time I took it. I worked in an ER as a tech for almost a year, had a DO letter, and applied to both MD and DO schools. DCOM was my first and only interview and I knew after leaving that school that it was the one i wanted to go to if I got in, no matter wherever I got into/interviewed. I couldnt be happier with my choice either ;).

My advice:
Choose the easiest major in college and just take the needed pre-reqs for premeds. That way your overall GPA stays high. engineering IS HARD and time consuming, what's the point of doing reactor calculations and differential equations if your endpoint will be med school.

I totally agree with this...But to the OP, if you really like engineering, don't be scurred, it can be done. :thumbup:

BTW porco, are you a UT ChemE?

chemical engineering grad here and I am headed to DO school.

Engineering counts as "other sciences". I pretty much got a's and b's in school (more toward b's), which is pretty good for a top 5 engineering program :) but not good enough for many med school.

all med school comes down to looking at your GPA/MCAt/experiences. they dont care about your major.

My advice:

I would agree with the statement above. I have a BSE and MSE from UMich-Ann Arbor, worked in automotive and consulted for a few years. I finally quit work to do a post-bacc (the 4 required pre-med classes) for a year and applied to med school this past fall. Although I did well in those classes, the required pre-med classes barely made a dent in my aacomas science gpa. I wish I didn't goof off back in those days. Oh well...:)

I would agree with the statement above. I have a BSE and MSE from UMich-Ann Arbor, worked in automotive and consulted for a few years. I finally quit work to do a post-bacc (the 4 required pre-med classes) for a year and applied to med school this past fall. Although I did well in those classes, the required pre-med classes barely made a dent in my aacomas science gpa. I wish I didn't goof off back in those days. Oh well...:)

Well, were you able to get in anyways?

Yes sir! Heading to NYCOM in the fall.

I graduated from UCLA in 2003 with a B.S. in Materials Engineering. I've worked in aerospace for the past 5 years but will be leaving this fall to attend Western COMP. During undergrad and up until about 2 years ago had no plans of going into medicine, but that changed and here I am about to start med school in a few months.

My GPA was ~3.2 overall and my MCAT was 33. My GPA during undergraduate years was 2.85, mostly due to being lazy. Brought that up to a 3.2 with ~54 units of post bac classes at 3.9 GPA. Good luck to all you engineers!!!!

According to AACOMAS, my overall GPA is 3.391, overall science is 3.343 (which includes lots of the hard engineering classes in it, I don't know why but did not want to fight them for it). I think what helped me was that all my science courses GPA was either 3.5 or 4.0, so schools understand that my lower GPA is because of the engineering classes. Anyway, 28 MCAT, and going to LECOM-Bradenton. Waitlisted at AZCOM, turned down interviews at LMU, AT Still Arizona, and Touro Nevada. So yeah, I think engineering degrees are a good thing, especially when all your basic science courses's grades are all As. Don't sweat it!

nvrmind...some engineering courses can be classified as programming / math

Last edited: