Hey, just a quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mah3r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My younger sister has just started college this year, and she is very hardworking and dedicated. Currently, she is joggling between going for pharmacology or dentistry as her future career. However, one of her main objections with considering dentist is the though of having to work on cadavers. So, I just wanted to ask if that were actually the case or not. Also, she would only be going to a dentistry school in NYC, if anyone has personal experience their that'd be great. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

so... are you asking if NYU or Columbia have cadaver labs? I think NYU may have a simulated anatomy lab, but I can't remember for sure. Dunno about Columbia. Working on cadavers is a little disconcerting at first, but I don't know of anyone who, 2 months into school, is phased by it at all. Has your sister worked with cadavers before? It's actually an incredibly unique opportunity that most feel lucky to be a part of -- i'm glad my school is old fashioned and we're not 'dissecting' the brachial plexus on some simulated cadaver.

There is no better way to learn than to actually see how everything fits, in the most applicable form to a patient. That's the whole purpose of a cadaver! And I'll bet that your sister will have to encounter some dissections in her undergrad, as she completes the pre-reqs for dental school. Quite honestly, it's also easier once you work your way from frogs > rats > cats > humans :) best of luck to her.