Hey, second year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
**** you.

Actually, second year was pretty awesome. I'm just glad it's over now.

This thread serves no purpose.

Penis.

Members don't see this ad.

If you enjoyed MS2 you will love Step 1 studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you enjoyed MS2 you will love Step 1 studying.

Two weeks...

moon_Sam_Rockwell_pic.jpg

Please say that second year is at least better than first year...

With some exceptions this year seemed largely like a waste of time (even though I did learn a lot and enjoyed most of it).

Depends on the school. At UIC we got slammed with tests every week or two as M1s, with test blocks every 2 months as an M2. So M2 was considerably more enjoyable, both from a "this stuff is much more interesting" standpoint and from a "oh god stop the tests" standpoint.

The waste of time stuff really doesn't end. I think the new MCAT should be testing applicants' abilities to endure bullsh*t rather than statistics and sociology. Much more useful skill.

Depends on the school. At UIC we got slammed with tests every week or two as M1s, with test blocks every 2 months as an M2. So M2 was considerably more enjoyable, both from a "this stuff is much more interesting" standpoint and from a "oh god stop the tests" standpoint.

The waste of time stuff really doesn't end. I think the new MCAT should be testing applicants' abilities to endure bullsh*t rather than statistics and sociology. Much more useful skill.
Wouldn't testing sociology be a good proxy for your ability to endure bullsh*t? :laugh:

With some exceptions this year seemed largely like a waste of time (even though I did learn a lot and enjoyed most of it).

More interesting? Yes.

More painstakingly arduous? Yes.

More interesting? Yes.

More painstakingly arduous? Yes.

This.

I had a traditional curriculum so first year was basically undergrad 2.0. Second year was much more material, but the material was leaps and bounds more interesting than learning where the ligament of Treitz is located. It's pretty neat when I think about how much I know now compared to starting medical school. Then I think about how much more I have to learn and my legs get kicked out from under me again.

This.

I had a traditional curriculum so first year was basically undergrad 2.0. Second year was much more material, but the material was leaps and bounds more interesting than learning where the ligament of Treitz is located. It's pretty neat when I think about how much I know now compared to starting medical school. Then I think about how much more I have to learn and my legs get kicked out from under me again.

I shake my head when I think about how much I've learned in the last two years. Then I remember how much I've learned in the last seven years. It's still unbelievable to me that I will be learning at a geometric rate over the next seven years.

Yeah MS2>>>MS1, although I'd never wanna repeat either again lol. Step 1 studying blows but I still think its not as bad as MS1 because there's a light at the end of the tunnel..its too far away to see it in MS1.

This.

Sweet Jesus, it's been two weeks since school ended and I'm pretty sure I already forgot all anatomy.

A good chunk of M1 year sucked, but I was also surprised how much of it I enjoyed. I wish we had a Matrix-style machine, where you could just jack-in and learn the material in a second instead of spending hours and hours memorizing crap.

There is no truer statement. The ability of my school to waste my time is astounding.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had to write 2 page "reflection essays" after touchy-feely stuff. I think these actually made me less empathetic and removed some of my humanism.

Wait until rotations. A patient of mine died and the only thing I felt was happiness for not having to write another note. And I don't even bother entering the rooms of the gomers. I basically make something up and tell it to my attending.

Wait until rotations. A patient of mine died and the only thing I felt was happiness for not having to write another note. And I don't even bother entering the rooms of the gomers. I basically make something up and tell it to my attending.

Dude, I'm reading the House of God.

Gomers...

edit:

BTW, do you BUFF and TURF your charts?

Dude, I'm reading the House of God.

Gomers...

edit:

BTW, do you BUFF and TURF your charts?

I had to look this up because I've never read the book.

I'm on IM. We don't turf to other services, we're the dumping ground. We consult every specialty needed to cover our ass. SOB gets an automatic Pulm and Cardio consult with a CXR, serial EKGs, cardiac enzymes, aerosal treatments, steroids, whatever they can think of. If my attending wants to discharge he will put in his order "Discharge home if okay with Pulm and Cardio." That spreads the blame out. I mean as far as turfing is concerned, we will look for any way to transfer the patient to a hospice like facility if the patient is "stable" in their horrible state and there is nothing we can medically do to treat.

As far as buff? that doesn't really happen I think. We transfer, we don't discharge the hopeless ones.

:thumbup:

We had to write 2 page "reflection essays" after touchy-feely stuff. I think these actually made me less empathetic and removed some of my humanism.

I don't know why they force us to do this crap. It serves no purpose and prevents me from either recreation or real work.

Am I the only one who's going to miss it terribly?
I loved my classes (the ones I went to), learning things I'd always wanted to know. I loved my schedule: "Oh, wake up at noon? No big deal, let's go to the corner coffee shop and watch some lecture. Yesterday I ordered a croissant. Today, perhaps a muffin?".

I had it all figured out (Minus the pastries).

And now it's changing entirely. It's freakin' me out man....

I mean, being useful? What the f**ck is that about? I memorize, I study, and I perform. I take multiple choice tests like its my job.

Next year:

Me: "Alright, patient, where's your "D"?
Patient: "WTF?"

Preclinical years: You will be missed.

I loved my classes (the ones I went to), learning things I'd always wanted to know. I loved my schedule: "Oh, wake up at noon? No big deal, let's go to the corner coffee shop and watch some lecture. Yesterday I ordered a croissant. Today, perhaps a muffin?".

I mean, being useful? What the f**ck is that about? I memorize, I study, and I perform. I take multiple choice tests like its my job.

Next year:

Haha no way, good riddance pre-clinical. 2nd year has turned my entire class into anti-social, information processing robots. Its not nature to sit in a library for 10 hours a day and talk to less than 3 people per day.

Next year:

There are some aspects that I will definitely miss. I'm also scared to death that I won't be able to answer any questions from an attending without them being presented in a multiple choice format.

There are some aspects that I will definitely miss. I'm also scared to death that I won't be able to answer any questions from an attending without them being presented in a multiple choice format.

haha with you man definitely.

MS1 was bad, MS2 was slightly less worse but now in the middle of step 1 prep. I will not miss any of this.

Next year:

You might be the only one. Change is tough, but it's good change.

Next year:

I can't wait to be done with pre-clinical stuff. It's interesting, but I get tired of professors making love to the most unimportant of details that end up on exams. On the wards you acquire knowledge and skills that actually seem useful, even if you are, you know, the bitch of the team.

Next year:

Yes, others will miss preclinicals. They just don't know it yet.

MS3 can be one of the most tiring/frustrating experiences ever. It's also very rewarding, so don't get me wrong, but the preclinicals were so much straightforward and relaxed in comparison.

I mean, being useful? What the f**ck is that about?

You'll learn about a week into clinicals that you still aren't useful. Sure, show up, learn, ask intelligent questions, etc., but also learn how to get out of there as soon as possible because it doesn't matter for patient care whether you are there or not.

The residents realize this, and you can make them your allies in getting out at a decent time--they have to be there, you don't, and they want you to enjoy your life while you still have the time (at least some of them do).

After working full-time for two years, the flexibility of my schedule and how rare a luxury it is is not lost on me. :) What I am most looking forward to in the clinical years is being taught by PHYSICIANS and learning real, practical medicine. :thumbup:

Next year:

Clinicals sound much more interesting to me.

I guess it depends on your personality, if you like working with people and learning in real life scenarios, I think it will be better.

We may not be useful in the clinicals but we are learning to be or watching others being useful, which is a lot better than sitting alone reading notes.

I can't wait to be done with pre-clinical stuff. It's interesting, but I get tired of professors making love to the most unimportant of details that end up on exams. On the wards you acquire knowledge and skills that actually seem useful, even if you are, you know, the bitch of the team.

+1

Was way, way better for me.

I actually liked second year a little more than third year.

Agreed that these were pretty much BS assignments... but considering they took less than a half hour, I will take as many "free points" as I can get!!!!!!

Agreed that these were pretty much BS assignments... but considering they took less than a half hour, I will take as many "free points" as I can get!!!!!!

At my school these "free points" were largely inconsequential anyways... it would have been nice to have some of this fluff in the science courses to pad the grade instead of only in the "how to not get sued" class first semester where nobody is in danger of failing

Last edited:

We were true P/F, and these weren't even graded. If you didn't turn it in you would get an email about professionalism and with enough of those you could have it mentioned in your dean's letter.

Favorite thread ever.

I am glad of every milepost behind us. I will miss my own free time. Hadn't felt this free for a long time. Gone now. But I'll be done with the step soon. And like the OP. It's fun saying goodbye to this ****.

I refuse to believe it won't get better after the first few years of residency. If it does I will have chosen the wrong field.

I thought I was the only one. Sucks, but that's what this process does to a man.

Haha no way, good riddance pre-clinical. 2nd year has turned my entire class into anti-social, information processing robots. Its not nature to sit in a library for 10 hours a day and talk to less than 3 people per day.

+1 i lol'd

Contrary to popular opinion, it never gets better. People's memories just get foggier.

Huge chunks of 3rd year sucked monkey balls. Patients will not clutch the hem of your short white coat and thank you profusely for saving their lives. They will loudly proclaim they refuse to be seen by a medical student and ask you belligerently "where is the real doctor?". They will scream for dilaudid because they're "allergic" to morphine on the internal medicine wards. They will abuse their children whose injuries you will take care of on the pediatric wards. They won't bathe regularly. Most residents & attendings will ignore you -- for this, you shall offer up thanks. A few will be abusive. Even fewer will try to teach you something. 75% of that even fewer will teach you mainly about something that isn't remotely relevant to your education especially if you're not going into that particular field. You will be tired, hungry, and horny. Your classmates might turn on each other. And best of all -- you're paying for the pleasure of experiencing all of this. Congratulations.

Next year:

Patient: "In my pants." :cool:

Corrected for factual accuracy.

Contrary to popular opinion, it never gets better. People's memories just get foggier.

Huge chunks of 3rd year sucked monkey balls. Patients will not clutch the hem of your short white coat and thank you profusely for saving their lives. They will loudly proclaim they refuse to be seen by a medical student and ask you belligerently "where is the real doctor?". They will scream for dilaudid because they're "allergic" to morphine on the internal medicine wards. They will abuse their children whose injuries you will take care of on the pediatric wards. They won't bathe regularly. Most residents & attendings will ignore you -- for this, you shall offer up thanks. A few will be abusive. Even fewer will try to teach you something. 75% of that even fewer will teach you mainly about something that isn't remotely relevant to your education especially if you're not going into that particular field. You will be tired, hungry, and horny. Your classmates might turn on each other. And best of all -- you're paying for the pleasure of experiencing all of this. Congratulations.

:thumbup: 100% agree, but 3rd year is still better than the first two years overall.

While not quite as disenchanted, I hated more than my fair share of 3rd year for reasons hinted at by the donut lady herself.

I WOULD say that M4, even in this stressful time of picking a specialty, worrying about ERAS around the corner, AI and ICU months ahead of me, etc., is better than M3. I remember my worst days of M3 when I say that.

:thumbup: 100% agree, but 3rd year is still better than the first two years overall.

Give me 2nd year any day. Sleep in almost every day, learn lots of stuff, ample time to do questions and prep for Step 1... oh yeah.

While not quite as disenchanted, I hated more than my fair share of 3rd year for reasons hinted at by the donut lady herself.

I WOULD say that M4, even in this stressful time of picking a specialty, worrying about ERAS around the corner, AI and ICU months ahead of me, etc., is better than M3. I remember my worst days of M3 when I say that.

Give me 2nd year any day. Sleep in almost every day, learn lots of stuff, ample time to do questions and prep for Step 1... oh yeah.
you going to be home this month? I'll be up in your neck of the woods.

Studying for step I was soul-sucking. I start psych tomorrow...only thing on the agenda for tomorrow is orientation...which starts bright and early at 930AM. So far third year is awesome.

(I know, I know. I will be changing my tune come med and surg.)

Studying for step I was soul-sucking. I start psych tomorrow...only thing on the agenda for tomorrow is orientation...which starts bright and early at 930AM. So far third year is awesome.

(I know, I know. I will be changing my tune come med and surg.)

psych was awesome. I think the attendings are about as crazy as the patients sometimes, and the work was easy.

so yeah, it gets worse. wait until you're rounding for 6 hours while post-call..