HEY! Shadow Work!!!!!!!!! Ayudame!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailrider400

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started working in a hospital pharmacy about 3 months ago. It is a great way to boost my application and learn about the career but I am not sure I am getting the most out of the experience. I am the first shadow volunteer they have had (so they are a little new to this) and all I have really done in the hospital pharmacy is fill orders, learn some things about pixis, and learn some of the drug names. The majority of what I have been doing is the techs job which is fine but I feel like I haven't recieved much insight to the pharmacists exact role in the clinical setting. I was wondering what have others experienced through volunteering in a hospital pharmacy and what have their roles been? What has been your experience and what questions have you asked? also what can I do to get the most possible out of this experience without becoming a nuisance to the (always busy) pharmacists? (I have for the most part tried to stay out of their way)

Members don't see this ad.

You are a pawn in a game of chess. Its up to you to make the best of the situation. Become a confident individual and you shall be entrusted with greater degree of important tasks.

If you just stand there waiting for someone to tell you what to do, your experience will be mainly clerk experience. Ask questions about drugs, don't bother pharmacists while they are counting ( learned this the hard way).

Your in a situation where your job doesn't allow you to do much. Your main objective is to gain knowledge. Observe everything that goes on. Because the only way to really understand is to actually getting your hands dirty and working in a pharmacy.

So, if you can convince or rather impress the pharmacists you might be given the opportunity to do some of the more interesting stuff. Its a process, just go through the hoops and you'll do fine. I would suggest getting certified and actually getting paid to work in a pharmacy.