Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hey UHS2002

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by OldManDave, Jun 18, 1999.

1. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To be honest, I was quite torn between KCOM and UHS prior my interviews. My indecision was brought to a screeching halt after my actual interview at UHS. The school, actually both schools, are fantastic! I was highly impressed by the implementation of technology at both campuses. KCOM seems to have a slight edge in the proliferation of computer tech. But, UHS probably has more terminals available. UHS' anatomy & dissection labs have the trophy, hands down.

My interview at UHS was far from the chit-chatty, "I just want to get to know you" style advertised. Mine was gestapo style interrogation! When I objectively compared it to the other schools I interviewed at, I just could not justify the tactic. I realize the interviewers are trying protect their santified domains and the integrity of the profession...but, if I was such a slug and UHS interviews such a comparatively small pool, why invite me?

In UHS' defense, the students and staff were wonderful! Also, almost everyone I spoke with on interview day, students and other applicants, said their interview went as advertised. I have a theory on what precipitated my demise...but you'll have to e-mail me for that.

Anyhow, KCOM treated as positively as the UHS interview went badly. I don't agree with fraternity selection techniques...you know, "let me abuse you for a while, then I'll call you my brother." I was made to feel welcome and at home by KCOM. Their students, staff and faculty were fantastic and radiated a genuine concern for my welfare and success.

So, my decision was made---->KCOM

[I have edited the above posting to emphasize that it was only my interview that soured my view of UHS. Otherwise, I felt the school was fantastic! I apologize for not wording my post my clearly.]

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited June 21, 1999).]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. edgar

edgar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

OMD,

I had an gestapo style interview at UHS in Late September. It really soured my impression of the school. I loved everything about it up to that point, but then realized that I couldn't be happy at the school because of my terrible interview experience.

EDGAR

4. Synergy

Synergy Member
    10+ Year Member

I had a similar gestapo style interview at my state (allopathic) school. Also, the students I met there were horrible and seemed unhappy. I was accepted, but I decided to go to another medical (osteopathic and out of state) school that treated me great, and that had great students and a great atmosphere. Some felt I was making a mistake, but you must go to school where YOU fit best, and a place that will be conducive to you becoming the best doctor you can be.

5. OldManDave

Attending Physician
    Thanks Edgar...I too was completely sold on UHS until my interview. I hate that someone else endured such a crappy interview; but it's nice to know I'm not the only one they put the old Chinese water torture to!

LOVE KCOM!!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

6. MS4

MS4 Junior Member

I'd be interested to find out who interviewed you at UHS. Everyone told me that it was very laid back there, but I've heard tales to the contrary from classmates.

One such classmate was questioned heartily by Dr. Stephens about his undergrad GPA, though his graduate work and pre-med work was 4.0.

It became the case that they got along famously as a result of my classmate's work ethic.

[This message has been edited by MS4 (edited July 10, 1999).]

7. edgar

edgar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

[This message has been edited by edgar (edited June 22, 1999).]

8. Jack DOe

Jack DOe Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

You may choose to do as you will but I believe names are not appropriate to post. Keep it professional, please.

9. Deb

Deb Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree with Jack DOe, but since names have already been posted, I'd like to
    add my two cents. Having been at UHS for the past two years, I know all the
    professors listed and am at a loss as to what may have happened. They are all
    highly regarded professors. In my dealings with them they have always been
    extremely professional, cordial and easy to talk to. Also, I know of others
    who have interviewed with them and not had any problems. So please think twice
    before posting these kinds of opinions. Blasting a school (or individuals)
    because you had a bad interview only makes you look bad.

[This message has been edited by Deb (edited June 21, 1999).]

10. OldManDave

Attending Physician
    I fully agree with JackDOe and Deb...posting names and such is un-ethical. That's why I refrained from doing so...

Furthermore, it was not my intention to "blast" UHS--->I was highly impressed with all aspects of the school, excepting my interview. For all I know, these profs were merely having a ****** day or the interviewee prior to me royally pissed them off...I just apparently bore the brunt of it.

[​IMG]

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

11. Wes73

Wes73 New Member

I had a similar experience at UHS; I was very excited about the school and impressed with the physical facilities, but the interview was so needlessly confrontational (moreso than any of the other MD or DO schools I interviewed at) that I left with no interest in going there. Valuable interview time was wasted on minutiae from my record rather than on who I was.

12. edgar

edgar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Sorry,

I think it was bad judgement on my part to list names, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it was unethical. I admit that I was probably harsh on my statements about UHS, I still believe that it is an excellent institution. And it is wrong for me to make character judgements on the aforementioned professors, they seemed like very intelligent and professional individuals. If these doctors are reading this thread, I sincerely apologize for my negative responses. Medical school interviews by their very nature are very stressful, and applicants like myself can't help but have strong emotional responses to a bad interview because our futures are at stake. Again, I apologize for any people I have offended and I will be more careful in future posts.

EDGAR

13. edgar

edgar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

PS,

I never blasted UHS. I just said I had a bad interview. I don't know how some people on this thread are getting the impression that I hate the school. I just did not enjoy the grilling I got. My friend got grilled at my medical school as well, and even though he respects my school I can feel that he still is a bit bitter about his interview experience there. The students I stayed with at UHS and the people I met were excellent. My interview went badly though, and I knew it had after I had finished. Enough said.

EDGAR

[This message has been edited by edgar (edited June 22, 1999).]

14. StoneEdge

StoneEdge New Member

I am a third year atudent at UHS and I am also an Ambassador for the school. It is unfortunate that you had such a negative experience during your interview. I know that the admissions department at our school tries very hard to make sure that all of the interviews are positive experiences. However, occasionally a professor doesn't adhere to the wishes of the admissions department. I know for certain that the admissions department would be very interested in hearing about your experiences. Please feel free to contact Minnie Marrs who is the director of admissions at 816-283-2000 or 800-234-4UHS.

Good Luck in your Academic Pursuits.

[This message has been edited by StoneEdge (edited July 10, 1999).]

15. umesh

umesh Junior Member

I was just interviewed at UHS (yes, this late!). The interview day as a whole was the best I have attended out of the 2 DO and 3 MD school interviews I have had. The student guides were great and the facilities really nice. I was not grilled at my interview and I felt that my interviewers handled the interview professionally. It was not a chatty interview, but they never asked me any hard or ethical questions.

------------------
    Umesh
    [email protected]