Hi and question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ajnabi

Reaction score
Hey all
Iam a LPC and have a question for Doctorates in Psych. Do you think it’s worth getting a doctorate for a practicing LPC at age 54? The goal is to teach in colleges later

Members don't see this ad.

From a financial and effort perspective, a doctorate is a terrible return on investment at this age. Back of the napkin numbers, couple years to get research part of CV up to snuff and apply and get in somewhere, 5 years of grad school, 1 year internship, 1-2 year research postdoc. So, if everything goes right, you have 9-10 years when you are on the job market, and most of those years are at a reduced salary, at least 5 of those greatly reduced. So, now you're 63/64 at the earliest looking for academia jobs. Call it ageism if you want, but academic departments are looking for someone who will be building a research lab and sticking around for a while, not someone who is already at retirement age. Now, if you just want to adjunct teach, slightly different story, but then you are relegating yourself to terrible salary.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all
Iam a LPC and have a question for Doctorates in Psych. Do you think it’s worth getting a doctorate for a practicing LPC at age 54? The goal is to teach in colleges later
I don't think getting a doctorate with the main goal of teaching makes sense unless you also have a strong interest in research, and I say this as someone who absolutely loves teaching and training. Most colleges will want someone who has at least some research program. There are some primarily teaching roles but you'll still be spending 5+ years rigorously training in research, only to be competing for few attractive jobs, and you'll be competing with people who have had some good research productivity in grad school as well. There's also several likely relocations in your future as part of training or job opportunities. I might look into what teaching opportunities exist for others who have your current credentials or at least closer to them. Might there be some opportunities to guest lecture or provide clinical supervision?

I mention this because your post said nothing about research. If that's a key interest of yours it may change things.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I might look into what teaching opportunities exist for others who have your current credentials or at least closer to them. Might there be some opportunities to guest lecture or provide clinical supervision?

I mention this because your post said nothing about research. If that's a key interest of yours it may change things.
+10000

Many of the PhD psychology academics I know range between hating teaching actual classes to tolerating it as a necessary evil so they can focus on their true passion of doing research (while not having a business metric driven job with standard hours).

Those who really want to teach full-time (e.g., 3 courses per term is often standard) tend to go the liberal arts or community college route.

If you're interested in teaching at an LPC program, there might be adjunct or even full-time roles that don't require a PhD as previously mentioned.

Regardless, it might be helpful to look up the credentials of people who hold the types of teaching jobs that you'd ideally like to have and then do a cost/benefit analysis.

And clarify if you want to teach full-time, be a research focused professor who teaches some courses to remain in good standing, or adjuncting (if you haven't done so already).

From a purely economic perspective, it probably doesn't make sense given your age and the amount of time additional schooling would require. Then again, I am actively choosing to not maximize my current income potential due to personal preferences and have no interest in changing. Good luck!

Hey all

I would HIGHLY encourage you to look at the starting hourly pay of adjunct professors. Unless you are a wildly successful researcher, and willing to geographically move, you’re going to be adjunct teaching. And unlikely to be teaching full time. The hourly pay for that line of work is bad. You’d make more as a barista.

If you just want to teach college, look into community colleges, or teaching in a different subject, or get an MPH, or get a PhD in a field that allows for part time study.

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed with the others. Why can you not teach a counseling course as an adjunct with an LPC? Alternatively, why not a doctorate in counselor education if you already have an LPC?

Reactions: 1 user