Hi Everyone A little Help Please :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fire-Moon

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone.
I am posting this in order to get varying opinions to assertain whether or not my feelings /concerns are valid , in Regards to my embarking on this long journey to becoming and M.D.

My goal is to begin schooling in 2019.
I have a high school diploma. I had a 4.0 in High school and graduated at the top of my class with honors, 1 year ahead of my graduating class. I enjoy lerning and being a student.
Always having an interest in Health/Fitness/Beauty. I then , After High School entered the fitness industry where I have been very successful. Fitness modeling, Creating tailor made fitness and diet programs for clients - Brand endorsments . etc.

At this point after much learning from being in these enviorments for over 14 years I have now decided to take it to the next level . I would like to open my own anti aging/health and welness center-However although I will hire other Mds to work at the company I have learned that in order for me to run the company "legally" I would have to be an M.D. Myself. I am aware of the alternative of hiring an M.D. to be the "Face"
(I have several friends and collegues who have done this but have hired an M.D.s to be the "face" so that the comany runs in tip top shape. Without getting into a long discussion regarding legalties etc things get ugly fast if the M.D. and the "silent owner" are not on the same page. Or become an R.N and work under the supervision of the M.D. I hire. Which I dont want either)

I have the background-the sales-the bedside manner- etc. I do however need medical training and a DEGREE. In order to bring my vision to life.

Here is the Kicker.....I am 31 years old. No college . Starting from high school diploma.
Im Looking for support from people in similar situations

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think going into medical school just because you want to open a business is going to work out well for you. The process is extremely long, difficult, and competitive.

But if this is something you really want to pursue, realize you need to meet medical school requirements in order to even be considered by almost all schools. This means having an undergraduate degree and completing all the undergraduate required courses before applying (chemistry, physics, bio, etc) and doing well in them.

Medical schools also want to see that you are altruistic and have a drive for medicine. You would need volunteer experience, shadowing time, clinical experience, usually research (not typically as important for non-trads), and possibly leadership experience.

Then you have to study and take the MCATs. This is a 7+ hour exam.

If you are accepted into medical school, which is highly competitive, then you have 4 years of schooling.

Afterwards in residency which can take another 3-4 years and is even more competitive that entering medical school.

Fellowship afterwards could be 1-2 years.

So if you want to spend around 10 years (possibly longer), then maybe seriously consider it.

(also the pink text on a white background is headache inducing)

Reactions: 1 user
Get a degree in nutrition and become a personal trainer. Save yourself 250K in debt and skip it. I know plenty of people who opened their own personal health/fitness/coaching businesses with random bachelor's degree, including one med school drop out!

That’s great you did well in high school. I did too. High school is easy for many. You need to get a 4 year degree, take all the required pre reqs (Bio I and II, Chem I and II, Ochem I and II, Physics I and II, Biochemistry. I would also recommend Biostatistics). If you actually want to do this, get a degree in anything. It doesn’t matter what. Since you’re interested in fitness, maybe an exercise science or nutrition degree would be of some interest to you. Get a good GPA. Score well on the MCAT. Apply. You’re looking at 4 years of work ahead of you before even starting medical school. Oh and volunteer/research maybe/get clinical experience.

I would recommend you do your research on the medical field. Shadow a doctor. Volunteer in a hospital. Make sure this is what you actually want to do.