• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

akitavet

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Im hoping to apply to vet school for the class of 2012. Im so glad to have found a place with other hopefuls, accepted folks, etc. I will likely have a million questions for you all since I am a bit of a career changer. Im 25 and I have a BS and MS in Chemical Engineering with lots of Bio-oriented course work and research (my masters thesis was on a novel DNA sequencing technique). I have a second interview with the local emergency vet clinic tomorrow evening. Im very excited that this site exists, and I am looking forward to talking with you all.

RazorDoc2010

Mizzou 2011
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Missouri
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Hey akitavet! Welcome and feel free to ask questions! I'm a current undergrad chemical engineering student but will be in the Class of 2010, so feel free to PM me with any special questions!

Pennvet

Goldmember
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Hey akitavet! Welcome and feel free to ask questions! I'm a current undergrad chemical engineering student but will be in the Class of 2010, so feel free to PM me with any special questions!

How are you in the C/O 2010 if you are currently undergrad?

About the Ads

ShelterGirl

UC Davis SVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
You can also PM me with any questions - I'm another converted chemical engineer and worked many years (I'm 32) before deciding to apply :)

PdxYOSHI

Oregon State 2011
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
Oregon
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Im hoping to apply to vet school for the class of 2012. Im so glad to have found a place with other hopefuls, accepted folks, etc. I will likely have a million questions for you all since I am a bit of a career changer. Im 25 and I have a BS and MS in Chemical Engineering with lots of Bio-oriented course work and research (my masters thesis was on a novel DNA sequencing technique). I have a second interview with the local emergency vet clinic tomorrow evening. Im very excited that this site exists, and I am looking forward to talking with you all.

I'm another late-applicant that started in a different career direction. I have my master's in fisheries and wildlife and have worked for 2 yrs. in development bio and genetics. My biggest piece of advice would be to talk with the schools that you want to apply at. They can help decide what experiences will help you and what you might be lacking in. Some schools told me that my extensive research background more than made up for my lack of vet clinic hours. I only had about 300 hrs of shadowing a vet at the time of my application along with my tons of research/lab animal experience. And I received interviews at 2 out of the 4 schools I applied to and was accepted at my #1 school without an interview. I think we'll all have lots of advice here but alot will depend on your own personal story. Check out the thread on "Profile of Successful Applicants" and you'll see alot of diversity in majors, grades, EC's, and GRE scores. Other advice I would offer is to start the process early (prepare personal statement, LOR's, transcripts) and visit schools your interested in, if possible. I really changed alot of my opinions of schools after I visited and got a feel for the campus, facilities, and students. Good luck:)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.