1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi everyone! Im new here

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by akitavet, Mar 3, 2007.

1. akitavet

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Im hoping to apply to vet school for the class of 2012. Im so glad to have found a place with other hopefuls, accepted folks, etc. I will likely have a million questions for you all since I am a bit of a career changer. Im 25 and I have a BS and MS in Chemical Engineering with lots of Bio-oriented course work and research (my masters thesis was on a novel DNA sequencing technique). I have a second interview with the local emergency vet clinic tomorrow evening. Im very excited that this site exists, and I am looking forward to talking with you all.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey akitavet! Welcome and feel free to ask questions! I'm a current undergrad chemical engineering student but will be in the Class of 2010, so feel free to PM me with any special questions!

4. Pennvet

Pennvet Goldmember
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    How are you in the C/O 2010 if you are currently undergrad?

5. jeeney

jeeney Ross SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    welcome welcome! :)

6. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Whoop! C/O 2011! I looked at my sn...completely unrelated # :D

7. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl UC Davis SVM 2012
    5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    You can also PM me with any questions - I'm another converted chemical engineer and worked many years (I'm 32) before deciding to apply :)

8. PdxYOSHI

PdxYOSHI Oregon State 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

I'm another late-applicant that started in a different career direction. I have my master's in fisheries and wildlife and have worked for 2 yrs. in development bio and genetics. My biggest piece of advice would be to talk with the schools that you want to apply at. They can help decide what experiences will help you and what you might be lacking in. Some schools told me that my extensive research background more than made up for my lack of vet clinic hours. I only had about 300 hrs of shadowing a vet at the time of my application along with my tons of research/lab animal experience. And I received interviews at 2 out of the 4 schools I applied to and was accepted at my #1 school without an interview. I think we'll all have lots of advice here but alot will depend on your own personal story. Check out the thread on "Profile of Successful Applicants" and you'll see alot of diversity in majors, grades, EC's, and GRE scores. Other advice I would offer is to start the process early (prepare personal statement, LOR's, transcripts) and visit schools your interested in, if possible. I really changed alot of my opinions of schools after I visited and got a feel for the campus, facilities, and students. Good luck:)