hi everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

=0)

hello there,
hope everyone is having a good summer so far.
i'm starting the application process for optometry schools and i was wondering if anyone had any advice for the personal statement. should i write separate essays for each school? is there certain information i should definately include, or stay away from? and how strict are schools about word limits?
thanks!

:p

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote different essays for each school.. but for some that were similar questions I cut and pasted one essay into another. (saved time)

I just tried not to be totally cliche, but still show who I am. stay away from "I want to help people" etc.

Definitely stick to their word limit. I think most of them cut off at 500 words. You should be able to say what you need to say in 500 words or less. Definitely have someone proof read everything you do. Even if you think your essay is perfect have at least two other people read over it to make sure it's good before you send it in.

Good luck with the application process. let us know if you have any other questions.
Which schools are you applying to?? maybe you'll meet some other SDN'ers along the way. And, at your interviews... feel free to tell everyone you meet about the site!! ;) :rolleyes:
GOOD LUCK!

Welcome to the group!

I just mailed in my applications yesterday. I ended up using the same personal statement for both applications, just because it happened to address the all the questions for both school's essays.

I absolutely second cpw's suggestion about having someone (preferably a few people) proof-read your essay. Put it away for a couple days and come back to it -- you'll always find something to refine or reword.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi & Welcome!

I used the same essay format for each school. Some of the schools I applied to had specific questions that they want you to answer. Basically, your essay should include, alittle about yourself,what has been your exposure to Optometry, why do you want to be an Optometrist, why do you want to attend a specific school, what will you bring to the profession, etc...

As far as word limit, if a school wants no more than 1 page, double spaced, than do that, Always follow their rules!

Good luck! :)

thanks for all the input. i think i'll have 2 versions of my essay, one for berkeley which has a word limit, and one for the other schools with no word limit (suny and new england).
i might apply to scco also.
thanks again!