Hi - new upcoming resident

Started by slipstr3am
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

slipstr3am

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just found out a couple weeks ago that I matched PM&R at Walter Reed Army Medical Center - will begin June 2008.

Wanted to say hi and introduce myself - haven't seen many (or any???) military physiatrists on the board so I'm excited to compare/contrast how the field is being shaped in/out of the military.

Cheers.
 
Hmmm, I was unaware that NRH was not the only PM&R residency program in DC until I looked it up on FREIDA a few minutes ago. Is this program open to all students, or only those who are on military scholarships?
 
It's really only open to USUHS students and Army HPSP students.

Because of the nature of the war, inpatient rehab at WRAMC is skewed towards acute polytrauma rehab (mostly young soldiers injured by IED blasts), amputee rehab, and acute TBI/SCI rehab. However, the TBI and SCI patients pretty quickly get transfered to outside rehab hospitals (mostly VA).

We do about half our inpatient rehab at WRAMC and also rotate at NRH and Mt. Sinai to better round out our experience with inpatient CVA, TBI, SCI, general ortho, and pediatric rehab.

All the outpatient months are done at WRAMC, and we have residents from both NRH and Mt. Sinai who come to WRAMC for some of their EMG months so it's nice to meet and interact with some of the other residents in the area.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just found out a couple weeks ago that I matched PM&R at Walter Reed Army Medical Center - will begin June 2008.

Wanted to say hi and introduce myself - haven't seen many (or any???) military physiatrists on the board so I'm excited to compare/contrast how the field is being shaped in/out of the military.

Cheers.

I'll be excited to hear what you think about the Walter Reed Residency. I am going 'hopefully' going to be an MS1 next year and doing HPSP, getting into the Walter Reed PM&R residency is my aim, so it will be nice to hear from you as you go along
 
Congrats on your match! Is that Mt. Sinai in NY or Sinai Hospital of Baltimore that you rotate through?

One of my old classmates, Jay Pyo, is a resident in that program.
 
Walter Reed is a solid training program. It is probably heavy on the inpatient side these days with the war casualties. Six months of dedicated EMG training is hard to match in other programs. The Chief of PM&R, Paul Pasquina, is very dedicated to the program and the residents and is a recognized authority in Sports Medicine. No resident has ever failed the PM&R boards in the history of the program as far as I know, but it has been a few years since I graduated.
 
Hey - if this is the Jay Pyo I'm thinking of, I went to college with him at Union College. If anybody has his contact info - PM me. I'd love to get in touch with him.

As an aside (related to this post), I am currently active duty Navy. I have been a flight surgeon for the past few years. I had the pleasure of rotating through the PM&R department at Walter Reed when I was an intern. I was very impressed, especially with Dr Pasquina who is seriously the man.

I'm getting out of the Navy this summer to start my PM&R residency at NY Presbyterian (Columbia/Cornell) in NYC.
 
Thanks for the correction on Sinai...

Dr. Pasquina is indeed well known and a great physician. Looking forward to working with him more. He is doing very well with transitioning the PM&R department as Walter Reed merges with Bethesda.