Hi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagerlearner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI TO ALL
Plz tell me ,wat is final year of medical school in U.S. equivalent to in the graduation curriculum outside?is it the same as the year before internship, which is the 1 yr.period of training.
THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Final year is the same concept as final years elsewhere - just the year before graduation/internship. Although in the US, it isn't reserved for final examinations, but consists mainly of clerkships (exams at the end of each rotations/clerkship). Internship is different as well - it is a year of training, but they don't switch fields every 3 months or so. Internship is the first year of a set field for which you've chosen to do a residency in.

leorl said:
Final year is the same concept as final years elsewhere - just the year before graduation/internship. Although in the US, it isn't reserved for final examinations, but consists mainly of clerkships (exams at the end of each rotations/clerkship). Internship is different as well - it is a year of training, but they don't switch fields every 3 months or so. Internship is the first year of a set field for which you've chosen to do a residency in.

Thanks leorl for your reply.
So wat i can understand is that there is no internship in U.S. for the graduation degree,there is only a four year curriculum.....
Actually i wanted to know that when clerkship programs have the criteria for imgs as "International students must be within one year of their graduation and receipt of their medical degree ",.... they are referring to internship, right? like at my place we receive our degrees in march so till then anytime can we apply to these programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
eagerlearner said:
Thanks leorl for your reply.
So wat i can understand is that there is no internship in U.S. for the graduation degree,there is only a four year curriculum.....
Actually i wanted to know that when clerkship programs have the criteria for imgs as "International students must be within one year of their graduation and receipt of their medical degree ",.... they are referring to internship, right? like at my place we receive our degrees in march so till then anytime can we apply to these programs?

You are correct - in the US, we are not required to do an internship to receive our medical degree.

However, if you are looking for a clerkship rotation in the US, you are generally required to still be a student, in your final year - if that means what you would call internship. Remember you are generally eligible until (not after) you receive your degree but check with each school you are interested in for their own requirements.

Just to reiterate Kim, If you indeed find a clerkship program that will accept a student 1 year after graduation (i.e. during internship), this would be very rare but ok, go for it! But mostly the "must be within 1 year of graduation and receipt of medical degree" applies on the other side of the scale, meaning you "must be in your final year and going to graduate within a year).

Thanks leorl and kim, I have got it.