hidden gems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeDocteur

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I get it-- no one will ever post program reviews since SDN is so blatantly NOT anonymous.

But, since scutwork is dead-- would any of you MS4s / interns / residents whose minds are still unclouded from the fog of war be willing to mention programs you discovered on the interview trail that pleasantly surprised you?

I mean, I know Top Ten Academic So-and-So will be great... what are your diamonds in the rough?

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I get it-- no one will ever post program reviews since SDN is so blatantly NOT anonymous.

But, since scutwork is dead-- would any of you MS4s / interns / residents whose minds are still unclouded from the fog of war be willing to mention programs you discovered on the interview trail that pleasantly surprised you?

I mean, I know Top Ten Academic So-and-So will be great... what are your diamonds in the rough?

My information is a bit dated (matched in 2005), but I really, really liked the University of Cincinnatti (now they have a different PD and chair) and the University of Pittsburgh.

These programs may not be exactly what you seek (are already considered great programs), but I was very impressed and they were better than I had expected them to be (already knowing they were good).

I was very impressed with East Carolina University. Their program director and chair really go to bat for their residents, both with regard to the structure of the program as well as helping them get their fellowships. The residents were a great bunch of people. Having seen their product, they definitely know how to operate coming out.

Anka

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard great things about louisville, UT memphis, and MUSC. not places that generally get alot of press, but all offer excellent training. (or so i have been told by friends who have rotated at these places)

After interviewing and matching last year, I really enjoyed the following places (in no particular order):

- Indiana
- UT Memphis
- UT Houston
- VCU
- Louisville

Of them all, Louisville and Indiana were on the "more academic" side of the spectrum while VCU, UT-H, and Memphis were on the more "clinical" side of the spectrum.

Take it for what it's worth. This whole process is subjective and 8 people will find 8 reasons to love and hate the same program. My only advice is to 1) only rank places in cities where you know you can live and 2) don't underestimate the importance of having family close (internship is hard, but having family around can make it a lot easier).

As I said, take it with a grain of salt, I'm sure every other poster will have a different opinion.

P.S. This whole bullsh*t about no prerounding (different thread) is the most ridiculous conversion ever. Interns learn my experience and by presenting plans that then get ripped to shreds by upper levels. Saying that prerounding wastes your time makes me not ever want to have you as a doctor, b/c during your residency, you will have just written down other people's physical exam and A/P and not ever acutally THOUGHT about a patient.

I agree with the ECU thoughts above. I'd also include LSU-Shreveport as a program similar to ECU in that not many know what they have to offer, but they have a great operative experience.

I don't think many would consider Louisville a "diamond in the rough." Just about anyone in surgery knows what they're all about: tough, demanding training, but training that produces excellent surgeons.

Memphis is lacking in laparoscopic surgery, but my interviewer said they've got some huge grant, and are basically copying a couple of the big guns' simulation labs, and are actively recruiting MIS guys. Pretty old school program with lots of 'bread and butter' general surgery.

I'd be pretty careful about UT-Houston. I'm just sayin'.......

I was pleasantly surprised by University of Mississippi. I had the best time at my interview there, and their program is actually pretty good. I spent the night hanging out with residents after the interview dinner. One had a house on the river, and we went night skiing, tubing, and wakeboarding until 2 AM, then fished until the sun came up. I ran up to the house, changed into my suit and went to the interview. It was the best time I had on the interview trail, by far, and like I said, their program was surprisingly well rounded.

I went to ECU for med school and am happy to hear of the kind words.

The new PD is a SUPER guy. He is the kind of guy you'd want to go to war with (which works cause he's been to Afghanistan and Iraq as a trauma surgeon/army reservist). I would put the operative experience at ECU up against almost anywhere. Especially if you have an interest in bariatric or CT surgery there are/were some pretty big names (Pories for bariatrics and Chitwood for CT)...

Good luck....

The new PD is a SUPER guy. He is the kind of guy you'd want to go to war with (which works cause he's been to Afghanistan and Iraq as a trauma surgeon/army reservist). I would put the operative experience at ECU up against almost anywhere. Especially if you have an interest in bariatric or CT surgery there are/were some pretty big names (Pories for bariatrics and Chitwood for CT)...

Good luck....

What he said. :thumbup: It's also a good place if you want to do trauma/critical care.

Good luck....

I have friends from medical school at ECU and they all love it. I also know the new PD outside of surgery and he is a truly great guy.

I'll have to second the ECU comments. I very much enjoyed my interview there and know someone from my med school in their program.

I also liked Wilmington NC. I think that one is a real gem as well.

In NC New Hanover Regional (Wilmington) and Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte) are generally well-regarded in terms of community programs. I'm very biased but I think for a state the size of NC we have excellent medical centers and solid residencies.