High Acceptance Rate Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabNerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm relatively new to the forum and while there have been a lot of helpful information, I wanted to ask a question: what are some of the easiest schools to get admitted into for MD/PhD program?

I am planning to apply for the Fall 2011 Admissions and I am seriously doubting my chances lately.

I have some decent stats: 3.7 GPA (3.2, 3.9, 4.0 projected), unknown MCAT score (will take next April or summer), 1 first author publication (with 2 more coming up as co-author) started research since senior year in high school and will have 4 years of experience by the time of application, 3 research fellowships, 3 prestigious national scholarships (applying for 4 more this year), many conferences (oral and poster), and I started shadowing a physician at a top medical institution.

However, I am at a severe disadvantage as I have some major flaws on my application. First off, my freshman year grades are awful, I had 2 C's (one in organic chemistry I and another in Genetics). It's not that I am not capable of learning those subjects, in fact I have a fellowship for organic chemistry from a major company and a national ranking for Genetics. I just had a difficult time transitioning into college. Secondly, I have some AP credits and community college credits. My plan was to get a PhD, so I wanted to finish off undergrad ASAP, so I took a lot of APs and some credits (e.g. university physics calculus based) at a local community college during the summer break. Finally, b/c I am graduating early and missed this year's application period, I may end up getting another B.S. in Histotechnology (since I want to be a pathologist). Some schools may frown upon this, since I am not pursuing a higher degree. While it is highly likely that I will get more publications and awards by staying to get another B.S. for the 4th year, it seems like medical schools do not want you to get another B.S. maybe it just looks confused.

Please let me know if you can give me a list of schools that have high acceptance rates or if you know of schools that place more merit on research accomplishments than prereq course grades. And if you have any other advices in general (other than not posting run-on's) your advices will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm relatively new to the forum and while there have been a lot of helpful information, I wanted to ask a question: what are some of the easiest schools to get admitted into for MD/PhD program?

Unfunded programs are the easiest. But, as for "high acceptance rate", there's no such thing. There's a lot of borderline/marginal applicants out there and they will apply more commonly to the schools with lower stats. The schools that take students with lower stats tend to also have fewer spots.

I have some decent stats: 3.7 GPA (3.2, 3.9, 4.0 projected), unknown MCAT score (will take next April or summer), 1 first author publication (with 2 more coming up as co-author) started research since senior year in high school and will have 4 years of experience by the time of application, 3 research fellowships, 3 prestigious national scholarships (applying for 4 more this year), many conferences (oral and poster), and I started shadowing a physician at a top medical institution.

Not bad. Get a high MCAT score and I could see you doing very well.

However, I am at a severe disadvantage as I have some major flaws on my application. First off, my freshman year grades are awful, I had 2 C's (one in organic chemistry I and another in Genetics).

Nobody cares about 2 Cs on your transcript.

Secondly, I have some AP credits and community college credits.

Nobody cares as long as you fulfill the pre-med requirements at the school you're applying to. i.e. Many med schools do not allow AP substitutes for things like gen bio and gen chem. It's also much better if most of the core pre-med courses were taken at a 4year University.

Some schools may frown upon this, since I am not pursuing a higher degree. While it is highly likely that I will get more publications and awards by staying to get another B.S. for the 4th year, it seems like medical schools do not want you to get another B.S. maybe it just looks confused.

This is a non-issue. I don't know where you're getting this stuff.

And if you have any other advices in general (other than not posting run-on's) your advices will be greatly appreciated.

Prep hard for the MCAT and score 36+. That will put you in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what a troll is, but looking at the wikipedia definition, I hope this was not too off topic (is that the troll thing?), it's the first time I'm actually posting in a forum, so it may seem awkward.

I just have one more thing to add to my profile, I have 60+ hours of APs, including gen bio and gen chem. I am willing to retake those (even though I already have credits for them) if it will be required. I have found some schools that will allow me to apply without retaking those courses at a college setting. If anyone knows about certain programs that will allow students to apply with AP credits on those subjects, please share the names of those school with me.

Thanks for all your advices Neuronix

I have this list

http://wolfweb.unr.edu/~waites/Documents/MedSchAP08.pdf

I can not vouch for its accuracy or completeness.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that list. I checked it out and found a few errors. I have just worked off the assumption that most schools will accept AP credit if your college did, but begrudgingly, and like to see upper level classes in those areas. After talking with someone at admissions at Harvard, I got the impression that most schools won't reject you because you don't meet class requirements/AP issues, it just might hurt you chances slightly.

I looked into my favorite school's master's program so that I can use the credits towards PhD and make myself a better candidate in the process but they do not support you for your Master's degree; I need to support myself for 2 and a half years. Is this worth it?

And in terms of AP credits, it seems like most schools in my state are willing to overlook it if I can make myself an outstanding candidate.... or so they say. So I guess I should spend a lot more time on prepping for the MCAT, nothing much else I can do about this whole situation that I created for myself.

Do any of you know participants of the NIH GPP? and how difficult it may be to enter the MD/PhD portion of the program after being admitted? I will email them tonight to see what they say as well.

I need to support myself for 2 and a half years. Is this worth it?

No. Enroll as a PhD student or become a technician.

Also, I may have missed this, but are you from overseas?

Tradewind:

the only reason I am not so keen on enrolling into a PhD program is that the PhD students (even 1st years) are said to be "undesirable" to the medical schools.

I am not from overseas, I'm from Texas (are personal info allowed on this blog?). But it is very ridiculous that a master's program in biomedical sciences is not funded.

so, did anyone actually apply to the NIH GPP program or NIH MD/PhD Program?

Thanks

the only reason I am not so keen on enrolling into a PhD program is that the PhD students (even 1st years) are said to be "undesirable" to the medical schools.

I would agree. Do not start a PhD program unless you plan to finish it. Only then plan to apply to medical school, but don't expect them to hand you a spot, or even make it any easier, just because you have a PhD.

I am not from overseas, I'm from Texas (are personal info allowed on this blog?). But it is very ridiculous that a master's program in biomedical sciences is not funded.

You can say you're from Texas. Much of this forum knows my name, location, and med school. I don't necessarily recommend you be this open though and I am an exception ;)

About master's program funding: that's life. But a common equivalent is to take a lab tech position and do coursework on the side. At least then you typically break even in the finances.

so, did anyone actually apply to the NIH GPP program or NIH MD/PhD Program?

Pretty much everything we know is in this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=619308

While a masters won't hurt you, it won't really help you all that much, either. That is, unless it's an MPH or MBA ...then it could help some. But a masters in basic science - not so much. I think it's often perceived as short of a PhD.

If you're unsure about a PhD, better to become a technician than a masters student. Unless you stay in the same lab, it sounds like a dead end. And, even if you were to stay in the same lab, you could generate data as a paid technician instead of a paying masters student.

I personally think it's fair that masters students don't get a free ride. They rarely go into the sort of drawn out, low paying career tracks as do PhD's, so there's no reason MS students should get a free ride. They should pay! :smuggrin:

I don't understand what the problem is. You sound like a great, even over-qualified applicant, assuming you do well on the MCAT.

Masters is somewhat department-dependent-- I know that many BioE programs support Master's students, bc that was traditionally what a lot of BioE people did-- but I am told even this is going away some. Anyway, if you are really into getting a masters for whatever reason, there are plenty of places that will fund you for it, you just have to find them. I worked in a lab that had 2 funded master's students simultaneously (it was BioE, though).

The GPP application process is like that of any other school you would apply to. If you wanted to do MD/PhD, then just apply to it straight MD/PhD. Although in the past they have had a lot of students join PhD first and then add into the MD/PhD program, this is becoming less frequent and I would not advise you to go that route for many different reasons.

I don't think that AP credits should be a problem for you, given that you have taken upper-level courses in the same subjects. I had AP credit for almost all of the freshman science courses (Chem, Bio, etc) and it wasn't a problem for me at all (I was a biochem major, so I took much more in depth classes in all these areas, anyway). The only program that made an explicit statement that they would not accept AP credit regardless, was the Harvard engineering tract med school (I forget the name, not NP the other one). I really don't think this should be a problem for you at all, provided you have taken upper level science classes. In fact I would say this is really common.

Thanks for your advices,

I have more questions to follow up:

1) MPH is good for MD/PhD applicants? I thought M.S. in the same field of PhD may be helpful in my case since my MD/PhD institution will accept credits for the PhD portion from the Master's program. The only thing that won't be transferable will be the thesis portion. I always considered MPH as a useless degree for future physicians/PIs, unless they want to become an administrator.

2) I can always go for another B.S. degree (I have 1 semester worth of hours left for the second B.S.) to maintain my student status (since I will graduate by next summer and have 1 year left before admissions) and take the prereqs again in a university setting. Is this useless? I agree with Tradewind that tech position may benefit me but one of the program directors (of my top MD PHD program) who I talked to in person disliked the idea of admitting a research tech into his program.

3) this is off topic, but can any of you tell me about any master's scholarships? I searched for about 8 hours (without exaggeration) on google and instead of finding any scholarships, I just realized how explicitly racist NIH and HHMI are toward predoctoral candidates. Apparently I am not included in one of the minority races.

Thank you very much

Try the NIH IRTA. They don't hire based on race, simply based on abilities in the lab. I did it for a year and programs seemed to appreciate this experience. They pay you well and you get to take a year off doing what you love in an amazing city!

1) MPH is good for MD/PhD applicants? I thought M.S. in the same field of PhD may be helpful in my case since my MD/PhD institution will accept credits for the PhD portion from the Master's program. The only thing that won't be transferable will be the thesis portion. I always considered MPH as a useless degree for future physicians/PIs, unless they want to become an administrator.

My personal opinion is that both pathways are low yield. It's possible you'll be accepted and matriculate to your home program, but it is unlikely. It's going to be rather dodgy whether the credits will transfer. I had a lot of grad school courses from my undergrad, and my PhD program would not take them.

Is this useless?

Nobody will care about a second degree, however it may work out best for your schedule/finances/etc...

I agree with Tradewind that tech position may benefit me but one of the program directors (of my top MD PHD program) who I talked to in person disliked the idea of admitting a research tech into his program.

I find that bizzare. I was a tech for a long time before I started my program. It's a very common pathway. I'm in a top MD/PhD program myself.

Apparently I am not included in one of the minority races.

Yeah, get used to it. I grew up extremely disadvantaged and a minority in my community, but that doesn't count. Some ethnic groups that have come here extremely poor are not counted. It's whether they're underrepresented IN MEDICINE that counts, and typically white Africans, Eastern Europeans, Middle Easterners, and other groups from Asia just get the shaft on this. That being said, if you were very disadvantaged there are some programs that will also consider disadvantaged status. I know that my unique story was a big part of what got me in at my MD/PhD program, though I do know some of the other programs didn't even read or care about my prior status.

An MPH might help a little when applying to medical school alone, but I don't see it helping much for MD/PhD programs.

I didn't get the troll vibe earlier, but perhaps whoever mentioned that knows something I don't.

I don't get it. What is a troll?? Am I violating some type of forum rule?

About master's program funding: that's life. But a common equivalent is to take a lab tech position and do coursework on the side. At least then you typically break even in the finances.

If you can get a full-time tech position at a university, then you can usually take one or two classes per semester for free or reduced cost. You have to look at the requirements for how much time per week you can miss work for class & things like that. The classes may also have to be relevant to your position. It won't count toward a degree, but it'll still be added to your AMCAS application.